“Excellent stay. Don't miss the spa”

Anantara Chiang Mai Resort
Ranked #10 of 386 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Hong Kong, China
“Excellent stay. Don't miss the spa”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

On our trip to Chiang Mai, we stayed in Anantara (erstwhile Chedi) for a couple of nights. Since quite a few reviews stated that the existent of mosquitoes and also the noise from the toads, we were skeptical and hence chose to stay for 2 nights and also stayed in another hotel for 3 nights.
The mosquitoes do exist though we barely managed to see one in our room. And the toads make a lot of noise in the night. But other than that, every thing else is exceptional. The break fast is just superb with so many choices. Bit of a choice in the menu as we can order 'parathas', 'pan cakes', etc apart from the spread out buffet. The pan cakes with caramelised banana and mango sorbet was so lovely. It will remain in my memory as one of the best break fast dishes I ever had.
The room was spacious with very good toiletteries. There were 3 choices of bath salts. I must say this is the first time I have spotted such a luxury. Fresh fruits were kept in our room on each day. Apart from the room make up every day, there is a 'brisk' set up in the evening where the bed was arranged, additional water bottles were provided and lamps were lit. Chic.
The swimming pool is good. Usual stuff. But a big pool and one won't feel crowded in it.
The spa was an absolute bliss. The best in Chiang Mai in my opinion. I am stating this after the visit to 4 other spas. Both myself and my friend had a hectic work life and we wanted to just relax in Chiang Main and hence had visited 5 spas in Chiang Mai during our stay. The staff were very experienced and were very good in their job. I chose the Balinese massage (there was an offer of buy 1 get 1 free on the day we used the spa). It was fantastic. Much unlike other places where at times the masseuse/masseuer loses her/his rhythm, this one was great. The ambience of the room and the music from the Nakamichi audio system was very soothing and rejuvenating.
The front desk staff were very helpful. We wanted to try out Chiang Rai but the front desk person quickly added that the main tower in the white palace/temple had kind of fallen off due to a recent earth quake. This information helped us to make our decision to visit or not to visit Chiang Rai.
Check in was blissful. A welcome drink with a complementary 15 minute neck massage was provided. The room key was quite heavy and large. We deposited it every time we went out of the resort.
The river view is not something great. Kind of muddy water. But then thats the way the entire flow of the river in Chiang Mai is. The 'souvenir' shop on the ground floor is worth checking out.
The rooms have a balcony and if the weather is good, one can relax in the balcony. The lights in the evening make it appeaking.
I was waiting till I process my photos and then add my review. Unfortunately I lost the images as my memory stick turned unreadable. If I recover the files, I will surely add the photos.

Room Tip: We booked it through hotel club and the breakfast was included.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank OhOhSe7en
GM_AnantaraChiangMai, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear OhOhSe7en

Thank you for your wonderful review of recent stay at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort & Spa.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our breakfast especially pancake which will pass to our chef and kitchen team, such positive feedback is extremely valuable to us, since it encourages our loyal associates to deliver the very best experiences from the start to finish of each guest’s stay.

Yours sincerely,

Syahreza Ishwara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

From the moment we book until the minute we departed every aspect of this hotel was outstanding. The staff especially in the executive lounge where so warming and caring, we felt like part of the family. A special mention to the executive lounge manager, she is second to non and all of the staff who couldn't have done more. I've stayed in the hotel when it was the chedi and I can honestly say it was the same or even better. The hotel is so calming and is a welcome break from a busy days sightseeing and traveling long distances. Every aspect of the stay was catered for, even down to shavers, combs, toothbrushes and toothpaste. All in all I will be back to this hotel, Chiang Mai is a special place and this hotel makes it so much more! A nice touch was meeting the GM to welcome us back to the hotel, a little touch but very thoughtful.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
GM_AnantaraChiangMai, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Anthonydoyle04081979

Thank you for such a positive review of your recent stay at Anantara Chiang Mai.

There is no doubt that the resort is well recognised internationally due to it's stunning architecture as well as it's personalised service. Needless to say, we are incredibly proud of the team here and their capacity to continually impress. That being said, I do thank you again for sharing your feedback and we will always look at ways for how to provide an even better experience for all our guests in the future. We certainly do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Love the look of this hotel. It is very picturesque and I like the room layout and interior design of the hotel. But since you are staying near the river, there will be mosquitoes and toads croaking away at night. Also I wasn't that impressed with the restaurant meals, the indian meal was the only one that really said 5 star standard. However the mango crush drink is divine. The spa is luxurious, with very good massage therapists.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Firenze4074
Dear Firenze4074

Thank you for sharing your feedback of your recent experience stay at Anantara Chiang Mai.

There is no doubt that the resort is well recognised internationally due to it's stunning architecture as well as it's personalised service however please accept my sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you had caused regarding noise disturbance. Whilst we hope that all of our guests enjoy the resort’s scenic riverside location, tropical environment and exotic nature, your comfort is of the utmost importance and we do everything possible to minimise disturbance from mosquitoes. We work closely with a pest control company, and the resort grounds are fumigated on a weekly basis as per their professional advice. I also will certainly discuss your feedbacks with the team as we are indeed currently reviewing all areas to see where we can lift to even higher levels

Please rest assured that we will continue to monitor this matter closely and constantly strive to use best practices so that our guests enjoy a comfortable stay and we do hope to welcome you back to Anantara Chiang Mai in the near future.

Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from 5 nights at this fantastic hotel. The photo's on this site just do not do this hotel justice, it is absolutely stunning and the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff are faultless and I have to mention Golf and Jhan for their friendliness and faultless service. We met the general manager twice and had to mention the staff to him, he must be very proud. Do not hesitate to book this hotel in stunning Chiang Mai, we didn't see any military and to be honest you wouldn't even know there was a curfew ! Book early or you just might regret not getting a room !

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sheppardave
GM_AnantaraChiangMai, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Sheppardave

Thank you for your nice review from you recent experience at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort & Spa.

Also I am delighted to hear that you experienced the best that our hotel has to offer and it was certainly my pleasure to meet you in person and please rest assured that we look forward to welcoming you back to Chiang Mai.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

We previously stayed at Chedi Chiang Mai back in 2009, and unfortunately the high service level and 'Chedi' spirit is no longer there.

Service does no longer come with a smile. On at least 2 different occasions the female staff seemed bothered and annoyed when asked for assistance. Female front desk rolled her eyes when asked to make a phone call to see if a certain shop was open. On another occasion at lunch time 13th of June, we received a cold and aloof service. It almost seemed the waitress got annoyed when I asked for my appetizer that they forgot to bring. I am surprised by the lack of service that previously used to be so warm and professional, during the Chedi era.

Had lunch at Dhara Dhevi Mandarin Oriental today and it was lovely! What a difference in hospitality and how the staff are trained.

We are staying at a deluxe river view on high floor, and I got woken up by the incredibly noise of birds at 4.00am in the morning. The noise was terribly bad and kept us both awake for at least at 1.5 hours.

I am writing this as a current guest staying at Anantara CM for 7 days and this will likely be our last stay in any Anantara resort! It just seems this has become another average hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank xpat2000
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Because we had stayed at the Chedi in Muscat, Oman, we were excited to stay at the Chedi in Chiang Mai. The week before we arrived, we were notified by email that it had been bought by Anatara - an equally fabulous hotel chain. But this change did not affect our stay in the least. We upgraded to a suite with a wonderful view of the river, however the room they showed us first was lovely too. This hotel is beautiful during the day, but becomes the most romantic place at night with it's floating candles in the many reflecting pools on the property. The GM and staff were all so welcoming and helpful. The hotel is also conveniently a short walk to the night market.

Room Tip: If you are able, choose a room with a view of the river. But I think all the rooms in this hotel ar...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Luanne M

Thank you for wonderful review of your recent stay at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort & Spa

I am particularly happy to note that apart from the change of name, your stay with us went perfectly and the rebranding had no effect on your experience with us. There is no doubt our extraordinary team was highly professional in how they handled the transition and guest happiness was certainly our number one goal. I am delighted to hear that you experienced the best that our resort/hotel has to offer. I would agree that our location beside the Ping River creates a very relaxed and elegant resort atmosphere while being only steps away from the markets and buzz of the town of Chiang Mai.

We truly appreciate the time you’ve taken to share your views about our luxurious riverside retreat. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future and to making your stay even more amazing in any way we can. Thank you again from your Anantara family in Chiang Mai!

Yours sincerely,

Singapore
Reviewed June 13, 2014

All staff, from the General Manager to the staff at the Restaurant, were great with excellent, top-notch service. Nothing was too much for front desk staff ranging from making restaurant reservations, calling up tour operators to check if we are on their pick-up list to even doing translations from Thai to English for us.

We stayed at the Kasara Suite and I must say this is one of the most luxurious suites we have stayed in so far. It is spacious with a very comfortable king size bed and a day bed. Kasara Lounge has a very nice ambience for evening cocktails.

Breakfast was great with a-la-carte menu and a buffet spread. The egg benedict was to die for. The chef will serve hot, freshly baked croissants from table to table. You can have cappuccino, mocha, latte and hot chocolate.

Overall, it is a great hotel and if there is a 6 star rating, I would tick it off with no second thoughts. We travel extensively and we do not go back to the same hotel that we have stayed in before as we like variety. However, we are going to make an exception for Anantara Chiang Mai. We will definitely stay at Anantara again on our next trip to Chiang Mai.

A big Thank You to everyone at Anantara for making our trip such a memorable one. Kudos to every one at Anantara. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
GM_AnantaraChiangMai, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Leesy

Thank you for such a positive review of your recent stay at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort & Spa.

It is a pleasure to hear about your amazing story with us. Such positive feedback is extremely valuable to us, since it encourages our loyal associates to deliver the very best experiences from the start to finish of each guest’s stay. Inspiration is a key hallmark of the Anantara brand, and we love to hear the things we are doing exceptionally well, so that we can build on the experiences we offer and make them even more amazing. It’s also crucial to know what matters to our guests the most, and we truly appreciate the time you’ve taken to share your views about our luxurious riverside retreat. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future and to making your stay even more amazing in any way we can. Thank you again from your Anantara family in Chiang Mai!