“The place to stay in Chiang Mai”

Anantara Chiang Mai Resort
Ranked #10 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Tokyo, Japan
“The place to stay in Chiang Mai”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is definately a hotel I long to return to. Architecturally one of the most beautiful hotels at which I have stayed, with an attractive river-front setting. Although quite close to to restaurants and the night market, I felt insulated from the chaos once I set foot on the hotel grounds. All our meals were excellent with professional, attentive service.

A key asset of this hotel is the staff. Everywhere we went (front desk, spa, fitness center, restaurants) we were greeted by professional and gracious people eager to serve.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gregory D
CCMGM, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Gregory D,

Thank you for staying with us at The Chedi Chiang Mai and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I would like to thank you for your very kind comments on the overall atmosphere and service levels at the hotel and am glad to know you felt well looked after by the team.

I hope we may welcome you again in the not too distant future.

Happy New Year

Stefan Noll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have to join in the praise for this great place and add a big recommendation to use the club and the restaurant. I must say we are not easy customers but was one of the greatest hotels we have visited.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear A K,

Thank you for staying at The Chedi Chiang Mai and for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to know that you were satisfied with the hotel and our services.

Our Club Suites are indeed very popular, especially the added value through our Club benefits, e.g. the complimentary mini bar, the cocktail hours at the club lounge, return airport transfers and complimentary laundry (7 pieces per day, except dry cleaning).

It is a pleasure to know that you also enjoyed our restaurant, which is very popular in town for its Indian food and of course the scenic river views.

I hope we may welcome you again in the not too distant future.

Happy New Year

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I've stayed in a lot of hotels and few even compare to this one. Great hotels are made in nailing the details and this one nails every single one. From the moment you walk in you are in a state of luxurious relaxation. The grounds are all beautiful, the staff and service is spectacular, the breakfasts are awesome, and rooms are great. Anyone visiting Chiang Mai would be crazy to even consider anything else. I'm dying to try other GHM hotels in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have much less privacy than other rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JML1817,

Thank you for staying at The Chedi Chiang Mai and for taking the time to share your feedback here on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to know you were impressed with the hotel and our level of service.

Our breakfast is very much enjoyed by our guests, especially for its mix of a buffet set up for cold items and the a la carte offer for all hot items, where we feature western and asian breakfast dishes. A highlight to many has always been our french toast.

If you do consider staying at another GHM hotel, feel free to reach our for me. I'd be delighted to personally assist you making a booking at one of our sister hotels.

Wishing you a Happy New Year.

Singapore/China/America/Europe
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The hotel is located right opposite the night bazaar which offers great variety of local wares for a great cool night of shopping till about 11pm daily. Great to unwind by just browsing through the stores after a day of outdoor sightseeing or tours.

The breakfast served is wonderful and the rooms filled with fresh local fruits - Jujube daily for the great vitamins required.

Room Tip: As it is located in the centre of the city - do let the hotel knows you wish to have quieter room fa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Yoshihiko88,

Thank you for staying at The Chedi Chiang Mai and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to know you found the hotel's location ideal for your purpose of shopping at the local night market.

I would like to thank you for your kind comment on our breakfast and am glad you enjoyed it.

I hope we may welcome you again at The Chedi Chiang Mai, or another GHM hotel in the not too distant future.

Best regards
Boston, MA
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I still get monthly emails from this hotel but can't find the courage to unsubscribe because it allows me to daydream for a moment that I'm still there. A beautiful hotel that I believe used to be the former British Embassy, it's outdoor lobby makes you feel right at home. The rooms were spacious with sliding walls and I even had my own little balcony. The lap pool was always a great temperature; the lemon grass towels they give you to refresh prompted me to go home and OD on lemongrass everything. The staff is very diverse and friendly and the food is delicious. All the cool sites in Chiang Mai are either walking distance or a short tuk tuk ride. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Chiang Mai. I can even forward you my monthly email if you would like.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brighton and Tuscany
Reviewed January 1, 2013

To be honest, we had some major issues on arrival here but have to say the manager swung into action and fixed everything. In fact, his response was a case study in 'service recovery'. We were overwhelmed by his generosity and professionalism... He genuinely cares about the hotel and (as a young-ishmanager) is keen to prove his abilities...

DESIGN: Outstanding... let's describe it as Asian Fusion... lots of open spaces, light and airy, lots of wood and stone but with a simple, graceful design. Australian-born, Singapore-based architect Kerry Hill got most of the design right. It is an oasis in the heart of Chiang Mai.

LOCATION: It's city centre so you do hear some of the city life... yes, there are the occasional dog barking and some traffic noise but hotel faces river and the rooms are all protected from the sound by second walls... We wanted to be in the heart of Chiang Mai so sightseeing, shopping were easy and it was a contrast to the other properties (beach and jungle) which we stayed in.

GUESTS: Mix of European, Chinese and other Asian travellers. Pool area can be a little hectic with large Asian families (who like to talk/shout) vs the book-reading silent Europeans...

ROOMS: Well-equipped, lots of light.... Lovely toiletries. Housekeeping were very discrete... Every time we left room they had remade the bed or tidied up...

HIGHLIGHTS:
- Definitely do the 'cream tea' -- fantastic. 1 serving is enough for two... Home-baked scones are delicious...
- Breakfast is excellent... Relaxed, generous and varied.
- Hotel design... graceful, modern, relaxing

NEGATIVES:
- Our checkin experience wasn't great but they fixed that.
- Restaurant is really dark... They do have clip-on torches to read menus but I still like to see what I'm eating...
- Maintenance must be a real headache here with so much wood exposed... Some areas needed a tidy-up.
- And please schedule the gardeners to mow the lawns when the pool is not in use. Wasn't very relaxing having four-stroke mowers blasting the pool with grass cuttings and 90dB noise!

Room Tip: Use the pool in morning/before lunch because the loungers are in shadow from mid-afternoon.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CupletBalsac
CCMGM, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear CupletBalsac,

I would like to thank you very much for staying at The Chedi Chiang Mai and for sharing your feedback here on TripAdvisor.

Unfortunately I still remember the "bumpy" arrival you had and am still very sorry about it, but I am very glad that you felt it was well recovered from and that despite the incident you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed Kerry Hill's design of the hotel. He has indeed created a very special spot in town that does not lack a feeling of relaxation.

I acknowledge your comment on the lawn mowing and will make sure we adjust the timings, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Once again many thanks for your staying with us and for the understanding you have shown after the arrival incident. I hope you will return to The Chedi Chiang Mai some time in the future and I look forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards and Happy New Year
Stefan
NYC
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Very rarely does a hotel blow away all of your expectations but this one did!
We stayed in a club level suite which was gorgeous and massive. The large terrace had a huge day bed and a nice big table. The large day bed in the room was perfect for relaxing too. We had requested a baby cot and it was a nice big size and very clean. The hotel also delivered a baby tub and some welcome tub toys!
The hotel is physically stunning - so peaceful. We spent many afternoons enjoying the pool! The pool staff was so nice, they were always on hand with a clean towel, some ice water or a drink menu. There are no scheduled kids activities but the staff was happy to let my son feed the fish by the pool and one of the groundskeepers even let him plant some flowers one day! There is a great kids menu too!
We arranged for a few tours through the hotel and all were great. The hotel also arranged for a great driver for us when we wanted to do some shopping.
We ate most nights in the hotel only because the food was so good! The bloody mary is the best I've ever had in the world and that says a lot. The steak tartare was also out of this world. Breakfast was fantastic and it was lovely to sit on the river every morning and enjoy a coffee.
We used the spa 3 times - a first for any hotel stay. That's how good it was! We did some varied treatments and each one was amazing
We used the hotel for babysitting also and were very pleased We had the same babysitter for six nights and she was lovely!
The club lounge was perfect - a real respite and a nice play to go for a mid day coffee or smoothie. The club welcomes kids before 5 and the staff was always on hand to offer my son a cookie or some juice. Post 5pm cocktails are served and the drink menu was plentiful and varied. The staff was happy to mix up a cocktail or pour a glass of wine (or two)
The location of this hotel is great - it's right in town but you feel like you're in another world. It's 5 minutes from the night market on foot and a quick tuk tuk ride anywhere else
All in all this hotel ranks up there as one of the best ever! I had previously stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Chiang Mai and this hotel blows it out of the water. There is no better choice for Chiang Mai!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Stephlovestravel
CCMGM, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Stephlovestravel,

Thank you for staying at The Chedi Chiang Mai and for sharing your feedback here on TripAdvisor.

I am happy yo know we exceeded your expectations during your stay and that you thoroughly enjoyed Kerry Hill's design of the hotel and rooms.

I appreciate your kind comments on our service and staff. Whilst we do not have a kids club, or other kids activities, we do indeed welcome kids at the hotel in general with the exception of the club lounge during the cocktail hours.

I hope we may welcome you again to The Chedi Chiang Mai or another GHM hotel in the not too distant future.

Best regards