“May I live to write many review like this...”

Anantara Chiang Mai Resort
Ranked #10 of 387 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed October 9, 2012

What a joy. The place is perfect. It starts from corresponding with the concierge ahead of arrival (you actually get prompt replies, and they are nice and informative. you want to zipline, you got it, you want a car transfer, we have option 1 option 2 etc.). As soon as you get there, you know its the real thing. I am no architect, but first of all, this place is a work of art. every corner of the indoor and the outdoor is simply, and i am not exaggerating, amazingly beautiful. The service is kind and prompt. And, perhaps most importantly, there is a feel of generosity. The room is huge, the fridge is stocked with free stuff (juices etc), there is a freshly ground coffee espresso machine in the room, when you walk out there is a guy stopping the traffic for you. Oh, what can i say... Too bad it was the first hotel we stayed in on our trip to Thailand. It had proven to be an impossible act to follow. btw, the location is great, by the river, next to the night bazaar, but this is all gravy.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank JJ B
There are newer reviews for Anantara Chiang Mai Resort

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here based on a friend's recommendation and loved it. The property itself is peaceful and beautiful without being gaudy or sterile like many luxury hotels. The thoughtful touches of hotel staff--from a facial spritzer by the pool to placing our wet clothes on a drying rack in the room--are much appreciated. Upon our (very late) arrival, we each received a cool washcloth and lemongrass refreshment. There was a bottle of wine and fresh fruit in our room. The "Garden room" was large enough for 2 of us, clean and well-appointed, though perhaps a bit short on drawer space. The outdoor balcony is roomy retreat with a cushioned lounge seat for 2 and incense. The room included free wifi which was not always reliable but greatly appreciated. One mild complaint was that the in-room coffee/espresso maker is not intuitive and there should be directions.

Each morning we had breakfast by the river. While the buffet is smaller than most luxury hotels, you also order a separate entree (we *loved* the pancakes!), and the quality is wonderful. The fitness center was large, clean and offers several treadmills, 2 elliptical machines and a stepper, plus modern Cybex-style equipment and free weights. We also tried a morning yoga class for 450 Baht and enjoyed it immensely. The lap pool was a treat - the water was warm, the pool was very clean and there were lounge chairs readily available. We highly recommend high tea in the afternoon. The tea service for 2 had enough delicious food for 4 people! The hotel is within walking distance of many good restaurants, shopping and massage parlors. There is a 7 Eleven within a 2-minute walk for any assundries you need - we bought a local SIM card for USD $3.
We loved returning to the peace and beauty of this hotel after a hot, muddy excursion in Chiang Mai. As other visitors have commented, the hotel is expensive but well worth it!

Room Tip: We liked our Garden Room, with a view of a small courtyard with large tree. It was quiet and clean...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RickyBobbie
Reviewed October 4, 2012

So I booked the hotel about a month before arrival. I accidentally booked one room for one person instead of 2 people. I knew this really wouldn't be a problem but I just emailed them to change the reservation to two people. They were extremely quick to respond and modify the reservation.

We wanted to do the elephant trail and decided to book with the hotel instead of booking it at a travel agency when we arrived because we didn't know about travel and what else would be included. The concierge sent me an itinerary of what we would be doing the entire day (9am-5pm). It included a private car (about an hour drive), a drink upon arrival, the elephant show (the tour guide bought us a basket of bananas and sugar canes to feed the elephants), a personal tour guide (just for the two of us), a ride on an ox, a ride on the elephant to get to the top of the mountain where we had a private lunch in a little hut (fyi, there were 3 huts there, one was occupied by the workers (JUST FOR US!). One was set up for our private lunch and the other one was for us to relax, enjoy the view, take pictures and enjoy our wine after lunch.) After lunch, we rode the elephant down the mountain and then saw an elephant getting bathed (you were welcomed to wash the baby elephant as well but we opted not to). After that was a bamboo raft ride on the river which lasted about 45 minutes (the guy steering the raft is hilarious!). This in itself was totally worth it. When I booked it from the states, I didn't realize how much it cost but assumed it would be a decent price. When we received our bill upon check out, I realized it was $500! BUT...this is totally totally worth it for the private service that we got. I realized a lot of people were on their way to the elephant show when we were driving there but they were sitting in a tuk tuk where there was no AC (and lots of people crammed into one tuk tuk)! And after the elephant show, you had to figure out by yourself how to ride an elephant, and you never got that personalized service we received! TOTALLY WORTH IT! Make sure you book this! Make sure you buy some bananas and sugar canes (you'll see them when you first get on your elephant) before the trail up the mountain...your elephant will get hungry. Make sure to tip the tour guy, the raft guy and your butler (when he drops you off back at the hotel).

There was a sunset cruise the concierge recommended but my husband and I tend to get sea sick so we opted out of that.

The hotel is close enough to walk to night bazaar (which we did every night). Just annoying going outside and then taking a shower every time you came back (but it's okay...it's THAILAND!). We took a tuk tuk to Saturday and Sunday night market. Keep in mind to bargain with the tuk tuk drivers. We bargained for 50baht each way each time going to those markets on Saturday and Sunday. Make sure you don't take one right in front of the hotel (this hotel is 5 star and they know you paid big bucks to stay here!)

Make sure to book a suite. Breakfast is included (buffet and a la carte). You receive a lot of amenities with booking a suite versus just a standard room (fridge is refilled daily in your room, unlimited drinks (non-alcoholic), free wifi (laptop available at the front desk), laundry service (7 items per day...very useful when you're sweating every day!) and butler service!

The only negative experience we had (not with the hotel) was our first dinner there. We went to Lena's Seafood restaurant near night bazaar and I think we totally got ripped off. I don't remember if prices were included in their menu but an old lady walks around with a notebook and does the math herself (no receipt or check will be given to you). We ordered tom yum soup, a green vegetable and khao soy noodles. We told her we wanted to pay and as she was doing the math on her notebook, she finished and said 400baht. Then scratched it and then said 600baht. For the amount of food that we ordered and her sketchy notebook...I'm pretty sure we got ripped off.

Room Tip: Make sure to do the math of what you're ordering at restaurants so they don't rip you off...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank shelleymyu
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My partner and I stayed in the Chedi Chiang Mai for 3 nights and we found it to be perfect in every way. The staff were extremely polite and friendly, the food in the restaurant was amazing and the rooms surpassed our expectations.
We only wished we had booked a longer stay there!

The location was ideal for seeing the sights of Chiang Mai and perfect if you want to wander around the night market.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and I look forward to returning there again in the future.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anna J
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Everything has actually been said. We stayed in a club suite. Love love love! Everything is so zen... Lovely breakfast with the view of the Ping river. There is no reason to hesitate if you want to book this five stars hotel. If your budget allows it, go for it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nootje
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was our first visit to Chiang Mae and we loved it. The hotel was second to none as I ended up in hospital overnight and the hotel could looked after my husband - who understandably was very ancouis for me - they would not let him get taxi's to and from the hospital, they provided their private car for him at no charge, also picking me up the day after. The rooms are large and spacious with a lovery balcony with a day bed which I used for a day or two to recover. The hotel staff were very considerate and asked after me frequently. I would definately use the Chedi again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Private, lovely, large room with great capsule coffee machine. Very thoughtfully laid out as well and unobtrusive. My email to the GM on some areas of improvement at 1am received almost immediate attention at 9am during breakfast via a personal visit! We also got champagne and a cake as we were celebrating our anniversary. He even sent us off when we left this morning. I'm totally sold! We'll definitely be back. Hopefully the mosquito problem will be eradicated by then.

• Stayed: September 2012