“Great stay”

Ranked #10 of 376 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Melbourne, Australia
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We chose to stay here for 3 nights as it was on a stay 3, pay 2 offer. We had 2 adjacent suites as there were none that were connecting. I really liked the architecture and lay out of the very spacious suites with a lot of timber accents. The complimentary mini bar was much appreciated in the hot weather and my teenage boys made full use of it (non alcoholic drinks, that is). There were also large decanters of whisky, gin and vodka for those who wanted to mix their own drinks. A coffee machine and some fresh fruit provided in the room. My one comment would be a set of plates and some cutlery in the room would have been helpful. Also maybe some cookies and snacks? It was a large room and having something to snack on while lying on the day bed or in the middle of the night before bed would have been good.
Suites come with complimentary 7 pcs of laundry a day and that was excellently done with all my clothes coming back on hangers, crisp and well pressed, including my PJs!
The internet connection was slow but seeing as I was on holiday, it was OK. If I had needed it for work, it would definitely have been more on an issue.
The grounds of the hotel are not big but everything was very calm, beautiful and zen. The many reflecting pools were elegant and you could really zone out . The poolside was well kept and the pool was a long lap pool that was warm and inviting. It was a quiet time of the year and no problems with availability of loungers. The pool boy who is relatively new on the job, having come over from Krabi, was personable and attentive. By the next day he prepared the lounger next to my husband for me when he saw me coming from a distance to join my husband at the pool. I also noted he paused what he was doing when he saw a young girl jump into the pool. He was watching to be sure she was safe before he continued with preparing the lounger for the child's mother. I thought that was very professional of him.
Staff at the club lounge were top notch and special thanks to Pai (Pi) who looked after us from start to finish. He got us booked on a trip to the Patara elephant farm even though, when I emailed the farm directly, I was told there was no availability. The food and canapes at the lounge were excellent and well done. We had great cocktails and when I requested for less alcohol in mine, they obliged. We had breakfast in the restaurant instead of the lounge and it was very pleasant by the river, with a nice assortment of Thai and western choices. Tried the famous french toast and it was delicious. They even obliged my boys with early morning room service on the day of their trip to the elephant farm.
Overall it was an excellent stay and would recommend the Chedi to my friends. The only exception would be perhaps not for those with young children as I did observe that the corridor balconies had very low barriers especially at the lift lobby and there were actually stools placed there which would not have been very safe for young children. The room doors are heavy wooden swinging doors and have wide door jambs that may easily catch little fingers, in fact small children may be tempted to squeeze through! Also with the open pools of water and the main pool being in the common area, not to mention the river, I definitely would be very nervous with young children around. I also understand under-12s are not allowed into the club lounge for the evening canapes, which would be a pity to miss.

Room Tip: The main block for the suites does not seem to have river views, unless maybe you are on the top 4th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank aussiegirl14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Dont know how anyone could say this hotel was poor. We stayed in a club room. Have never stayed in a room with unlimited mini bar with spirits supplied. Food was great but staff even better
Would highly recommend to anyone and would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Get a club room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Istanbul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Nice location, nice room, nicer architecture, great sevice, you never want to leave the hotel!

• Stayed July 2012
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Loved this place! An oasis next to the river but still within easy walking distance of the town centre. Design orientated, large rooms built around an old colonial house. Big balconies with day beds. Good turn down service. Breakfast not the biggest spread I've seen in this class of hotel but what better way to start the day than by sitting watching the river flow by. Lovely staff on reception. Spa was very expensive especially since you've got great options just outside. Nice pool with lawns and river view. Didn't go to other luxey hotels in CM but this has got to be great value compared to them.

• Stayed October 2011
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We picked this hotel based on other reviews in Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. The design of the hotel is remarkable - a quiet oasis in down town Chiang Mai with exterior corridors and entry vestibules cleverly designed to protect each room from the noisy road, with the hotel rooms facing interior grounds, spa facility pool and the remarkable bar and restaurant located in a restored colonial building. Staff were fantastic, morning breakfast near the river a great way to start the day, with the night markets and food markets a short walk from the hotel. We had previously stayed at the Mandarin Oriental property out of town in a converted four room rice barn with it's own garden - a truly amazing place set in beautiful gardens - but the Chedi is built on a more human scale and given the location and staff we felt it compared more than favourably with its expensive out of town neighbour.

Room Tip: Our ground floor room allowed direct access to the gardens which we really enjoyed. Rooms closer to...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Letchworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Thailand for our honeymoon in May 2012, and we spent 4 days in Chiang Mai staying at The Chedi. The hotel is tucked away by the river, and is really peaceful. I wouldn’t recommend it if you want to stay somewhere lively but if you want some rest and relaxation this is the place to be.

The entrance hall overlooks the shallow ponds and grass, and when we visited it the place was spotless, not a leaf out of place. The room was a very good size, and the wall between the bathroom and the main area slides across to make it open plan. There’s a day bed and table&chairs on every balcony, and we were provided with a citronella candle, incense coil and bug spray to keep the mozzies at bay however during our stay we had a letter in our room saying that they would be letting off bug bombs (apologizing for the inconvenience) so we didn’t have to use these additional items he pool is small but it has an L shaped koi pond around two edges so we found ourselves sat on the edge of the pool watching the fish and the dragonflies! When you approach the sun loungers, somebody comes out with towels and they lay one on the bed for you and give you a second one to dry yourselves off then they come out with a cooling spray and two glasses of water, which they kept topping up. On one occasion we were given a free foot massage on the sun loungers, which was great!

Breakfast was to die for! The choice wasn’t huge, but what they had on offer was cooked to perfection, fresh and very tasty. The eggs benedict were the best I’ve ever had and the choice of fresh juices (lemongrass and ginger being my favorite!) and breads (including chocolate orange loaf) were great. The staff were very friendly and we always had a choice of a table inside or out by the river. Unlike some of the other hotels we stayed at we were not rushed and could have sat there for as long as we wanted.

The Chedi’s attention to detail is second to none, and every member of staff we came across was extremely friendly (including the guy who’s job it was to stop the traffic outside the hotel so we could cross… not that it was hugely busy!). This is by far the best hotel I’ve ever stayed in.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Clare D
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

My stay at the Chedi was like opening a box of godiva chocolates and finding that they had been replaced by Lindt. Still good, but just not quite as good as what I was expecting. Over the 3 days at the Chedi we stayed in a deluxe room on the 2nd floor. The room, although nicely decorated and well appointed was on the smaller side and the balcony overlooked a garden area which consisted mainly of flat grass.

The pool area was great and faced the river although there are not many sunbeds so you would have to get in quick and reserve a sunbed straight after breakfast. The Germans were particularly quick. The breakfast was one of the highlights, lots to choose from and great ingredients. Make sure you order the French toast from the breakfast menu! The slices are about as thick as mattresses and covered in syrup, cream and icecream.

Another highlight was the staff, always friendly and willing to assist with any query no matter how small. They helped with everything from delivering ice to our room to finding my balloon knot. On the whole I enjoyed staying at the Chedi but I think if I was paying Chedi prices I would expect a little more.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a club room, they are double the size
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelClassic
, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear hg_06,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking your time to share your feedback on tripadvisor.

I would like to express my sincere gratitude for your kind comments on our services and in particular those on our staff.

I have noted your comments on the size of your deluxe room. They are 50 sqm in size and are usually considered more than appropriate, however one of our Chedi Club Suites may be more suitable, as they are 100 sqm in size.

Whilst your overall comments are very positive you have mentioned that you would expect more for the price you paid. I would be very keen to learn which areas in particular did not live up to your expectations and would be most grateful if you shared them with me in an email to psnoll@ghmhotels.com in order to allow me to make the necessary improvements.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and I hope we may welcome you again in the not too distant future.

Best regards