“Memorable Moments” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 373 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Memorable Moments”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

Our holiday was being planned a good 6 months ago. After much research we zeroed in on Chiang Mai. We reached there on 19th Oct 2011 and by this time much ground work was being done on this city by us. So if we had it all figured out, why am I penning down my experience??? That is because; I had a most beautiful vacation in Chiang Mai. Much more beautiful than what I had expected it to be. Chiang Mai literally means the BLESSED CITY.
So our induction to Chiang Mai began with an entry into Thailand in Bangkok. We transited through and took a flight straight to Chiang Mai. We had booked us at ‘The Chedi’, a luxurious Leading Hotels of the World. This by far was one of the best decisions taken by us. Promptly enough the limousine arrived at the quaint and petite Chiang Mai airport. The chauffer cruised towards ‘The Chedi’.
‘The Chedi’ arrived. We alighted onto their porch and walked into their lobby. I would like you to read this and imagine what I write next! Pampering is a mild word for an experience here. As we got the registration formalities done, a Thai lady attendant appeared noiselessly with a welcome drink made of lemon grass citing “swatdee krup” in her sing song voice and folded her dainty hands in a gesture of respect and reverence. I returned back the courtesies in the best possible way I could, but was unable to match her humility. Eventually, the General Manager of the resort stopped by to say ‘hello’ to us. Nice gesture! The lemon grass drink proved to be a lovely beverage for my excited nerves. After all our holiday was looking like it had begun on a positive note. Lovely vibes for now...Good times had begun.
Once in the room, I fished my camera out of my bag. I had to capture every moment, every detail, lest I missed out on anything! These were to be my memories once I finished my vacations. Oh no not yet, I cannot be possible talking about my holidays ending. Groan!!!
The rumbling in my stomach, reminded me of LUNCH!! We walked out to a rustic restaurant, called “Whole Earth”. We were quite surprised that the city was devoid of tourists and observed a few sprinkling of visitors like us here and there.
The meal at “Whole Earth” was delicious, traditional and very THAI. My eyes were now beginning to look tired and even if I tried to keep them open with toothpicks wedged between my lids, I would not have been able to. So we walked back to the resort to catch up on the priceless forty winks. It was drizzling all day through and the weather was playing hide and seek with the sun, who finally decided to call it a day. The smell of the earth, the lemon grass essences, and the aroma of the flora fauna was a heady mix. If at all I could call this ambience anything, it would be “romantic”. I must confess that I am a hopeless romantic fool, and, no I do not regret being one.
Soaking up in the bath tub, with a glass of merlot, provided the energy to eventually move out of the room, and, we headed to the infamous night bazaar. Streets were laced with hawkers selling trinkets, souvenirs, bags, jewelry and what may you have! Whiffs of aromas indicated a food court in the vicinity. We managed to gorge on locally made shrimp tempuras and soups. And, now for the interesting bit, every second lane was lined up with reclining chairs for massages. We opted for foot massage and head massage of half an hour each. Ying, the lady masseuse worked up her nimble hands into our stressed, knotted muscles. Excruciating sweet pain made way for deep relaxation. Ying was a young masseuse and a naughty one at that. She did not lose any opportunity to pass witty comments on us in her heavily Thai influenced English. I liked her.
The next day, we were up early morning and after finishing our workouts at a well equipped gymnasium at the resort, we proceeded to have our breakfast. Enjoyable experience again. The restaurant was interestingly blended with an old building that was the British Consulate. The alfresco area was our favorite. The cool morning breeze rejuvenated us every morning. We also had one dinner at the alfresco one of the evenings.
We visited the Doi Suthep temple on the hill, and yes, also climbed the 300 odd steps to get there. Tired?? No way. A few gasps were all it took. Nay, I am not lying. On our way back, we visited and paid our respects at the Phra Singh and Jed___ temples. How beautiful are these temples here. These are majestically ornate with some breathtaking mirror works and etching. Lord Buddha is revered here. I believe in him as well.
Later that evening we went to yet another night bazaar. This one had better spread of merchandise. It was a good feeling walking through crowds, locals, visitors thronging these streets. Massages ?? Yes!! Couldn’t miss out on these and we landed up again at the hands of the expert Thai lady masseuse, who yet again play doughed and kneaded our sore muscles. Bliss is the word that I can come up with at this point. Yes, Bliss it was!! We treated ourselves with Crème Bruille Mocchachino at the Starbucks! Sinful, but then some nuances are welcome once every while.
Dinner was at “Pum’s Kitchen” which was hop skip and jump from our hotel. The owner of ‘Pum’s Kitchen’ was Pum herself. A lovely being and a genuine soul, but a nonstop chatterbox nonetheless. We loved her attitude, and soon we were chattering away like old friends. Her dream was to visit India some day!! That was Pum!! And her kitchen crafted out some local fancies for us.
And so on, the days at “The Chedi” and Chiang Mai flew by. The city grew on us. We felt as if we belonged to this cute, snuggly, overtly humble and simple city. If you love peace, this city is for you. Oh, how can I not mention about the “Himalayan Stone” massage we took at “The Chedi Spa”. We booked a couple massage and walked into the spa for a massage. Hot Himalayan stones were used on our bodies. Let me now try to describe the experience. Fingers and hands of the masseuse goaded and teased the skin and body with burning hot stones from the Himalayas (of course they do not scald you). Aromatic oils flavored with elements of life (fire, earth, water, air) are worked into your skin, leaving your skin glowing, lighter and aromatic. I have no words to tell you how I felt once the therapy was done with. I felt like I had been touch by some kind of a magical spiritual hand. Out of the world experience this one.
My heart was heavy that morning when we had to leave for the airport. I couldn’t believe that we had spent only 4 days at Chiang Mai. It felt as if we dwelled there for ages. We had to be back here in this lifetime someday soon. I had a most beautiful holiday of my life. A special person made this possible.
As the flight took off from Chiang Mai, the city tugged at my heart. I did tell you that I was a hopeless romantic didn’t I? I said to myself “I will not bid a farewell to you Chiang Mai…So long!” I slept through the flight in the arms of my man, as if sedated by the Chiang Mai charm. Surely Chiang Mai was a reality and not a dream.

Room Tip: 4th Floor rooms near the pool overlooking the river are quieter.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nightsbetween the 6 and the 9 of October . It was perfect in all regards. The staff were wonderful, the room amazing, the surroundings beautiful, the spa excellent
Location is top to see the city.
Club room is a very good deal.

Room Tip: When you are going out 5 minuths you have hair wash and blow for 200bht
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

The Design of this hotel, including the public area, the lobby, restaurant and the room, is very neat and clean. The design is just cool! The property is well-maintained and everything looks new and clean.

The room is spacious and the bed is very comfortable. The staff are very polite and efficient. The location is good too, within walking distance (about 10 minutes) to the Night Bazzar, and there are some restaurants nearby. If I would go to Chiang Mai again, I will return to the Chedi.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Happy_namakemono
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed 4 nights in a Club Suite. 2 Adults, 3 Children. There was still a mountain of space. Brilliant location on the river, markets almost at the door. Nothing is to much trouble for the fantastic staff, whom seem to commit your name to memory instantaneously. Architectural wonders at every turn. Only wish I had allowed more time in Chiang Mai in order to just relax in the surroundings of the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

We absolutely adored this hotel. Chiang Mai is fairly bustling, but you leave all of the street noise and chaos behind when you enter into the Chedi's tranquil lobby and grounds. The rooms are lovely and modern (with fantastic blackout shades) and the breakfast is delicious. We had the best massages of our trip in their luxurious spa and very much enjoyed the pool's view of the river. Perhaps most of all, the service was what made our stay so wonderful. The staff is very helpful and friendly, but without being intrusive or cloying. We were very pleased and would love to stay here again.

Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

The Chedi is an oasis from the hustle of Chiang Mai. Property is exquisite. Hotel is sublime. Room beautiful. Lovely restaurant with delicious breakfast and dinner quartet.. We were there for five nights and it still was not enough time. Absolutely loved it! One of the best experiences of Chiang Mai.

Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

There has been plenty positive said about the Chedi Chiang Mai and it was the reviews here on TripAdvisor that helped us to decide to stay there. They met all our expectations but it was when disaster struck that they really shined in my opinion.

We had stayed there September 26 to 29. It was on the 28th that flooding struck Chiang Mai, overwhelming the riverfront well into the night bazaar area. The Chedi facilities themselves were not flooded (we had a ground floor room on the side closest to Charoen Prathet and there was no evidence of flooding in the building) and was effectively an island with Charoen Prathet (up to Loi Khor Rd) and Sridonchai Rd (halfway to Chang Klan Rd, I think) completely flooded with waist deep water.

As we had been outside the city all day, we were unaware of the flooding in the city until we returned that evening. It was chaos in the surrounding night bazaar area as residents and tourists alike were trying to figure out how to get in and out of the area. We called the Chedi and they immediately sent out two staff in a 4x4 to retrieve us at the nearest safe location. We found out that the day shift staff themselves were trapped for the night as none of them could get their vehicles out of the flood zone.

The next morning we got a better look at how close the flooding came as the river was inches from overflowing the Chedi's river wall. We, along with a number of other guests were scheduled to check out and had flights that morning but none of our planned transfer vehicles could reach the hotel. The hotel had requested one of the larger industrial vehicles to help ferry us out of the flood zone but when it failed to arrive as requested (due likely to the high number of requests to evacuate), they managed to fit us all onto the 4x4 to get us out of the flood zone and to a waiting songthaew to get us the final stretch to the airport. We made our flight as planned even amongst the chaos.

Through this all, the Chedi staff maintained a high level of professionalism and courtesy even as nerves of guests began to fray. As one would have hoped, the GM Patrick Moukarzel was on hand himself to direct all the efforts. If not for the flood waters when one tried to leave, one could have almost not even have realized that there was a disaster all around. To me as a guest that is a fine mark of a very well run organization and facility. It is my hope that the lives and livelihood of the people in those affected areas can recover quickly as I feel the Chedi is an excellent place for a getaway.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family