Rachamankha
Trip.com
$59
$57
Hotels.com
Bodhi Serene Hotel(Chiang Mai)
$125
$93
Rainforest Boutique(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
$28
Agoda.com
1,172 results
All reviewsold citybeautiful hotelantique furnitureoasis spalanna stylebedroom suitewat phrabustling citypool area isbeautiful poolour honeymoonrooms are comfortabletuk tukhotel restauranttucked awaycommon areassmall hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 2, 2009

Loved the quiet atmosphere, and beautiful interiors and outstanding architecture of this gem of a hotel, tucked down a side road. We had to work and the business center/library was ideal.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I have to say from the start I loved it.

Tucked away in a quiet corner of this ancient old city the Ratchamankha I arrived luggageless due to a cock-up on the deeply uninspiring Eva Air but just fell in love with the place.

Only four years old it looks as though it has been here for 400 designed in the style of a north Thailand temple with open squares, small courtyards and old fashioned style rooms with huge wardrobes and bathroom toiletries to die for. Even without my soap bag- still lurking in Bangkok- I was able to shower, shave and get myself ready for an evening ahead even if it was in the same clothes.

The staff are friendly if reserved, as is the way with most Thais, so do not expect Manhattan-slick service but it will all be done with a big smile and with an obvious effort to please you the customer.

I would recommend eating outside the hotel as there are some fantastic eateries in Chiang Mai of countless national dishes from pizza to cheeseburgers to sublime curries. Beware if you are going local though, the Thais eat their food hot and some of it can be like a chilli-bomb going off in your mouth.

Breakfast in the hotel courtyard on a sunlit January day should have been great but whilst the ingredients were all good enough neither the plates or the food were hot. It is my only complaint of an otherwise delightful visit and I would certainly go back. Tomorrow. Only I would take breakfast at JJ bakery in the old walled city just a cheap cab ride from the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Golfing-Steve
Reviewed February 22, 2009

I stayed here at the end of the 2008. This hotel is a hidden gem, which you would never know by looking at the photos advertising the hotel on this website. Maybe it's intentional. Look at the photos taken by recent customers for the 'real' hotel. Most of the reviews I have read here do it justice : it is elegant, smart and comfortable - but for the money there are several points which definately need to be improved. I paid Yen 18,000 / night, (or about GBP140.-) including breakfast, which is the top end for a hotel room in Chiang Mai - and as I used to live and work in Bangkok in the 90s so I think this entitles me to make the following comments.
- The (inhouse) Restaurant : Breakfast was very ordinary : The courtyard were it is served is extremely beautiful - the whole hotel is immaculate.
- Supper (same inhouse restaurant) : I have eaten here before about 2 years ago (2005/6) and the Thai dishes were very good, subtle spiced and well-prepared. This time was very different - and I strongly suggest you do not eat supper there. Thai fish dish : dry, hard and tasteless (!); the beef : too sweet, lacking spice as if made for "tourists". I mentioned my dis-satisfaction to the Reception only to be told 'Oh, we've heard this from many people before!!' . It appears the Owner has not taken action. On Dec. 28, 2008 he was in fact at the next table entertaining a group of 6 Thais and a lot of drinking was going on - but funnily enough the food on the table was virtually untouched. I thought he should be looking for a new cook as it is a great pity that so many people must be disappointed by the food served here when Thai food is so delicious, varied and, when done well done, easily compares favourably to the great cuisines of the world.
Sorry to go on about this but I also heard from a friend (from Hong Kong), who had stayed earlier in the month with her family, and she had had the same very negative impression about the food. Considering its out-of-the-way location eating IN is easier, but I really do not recommend it.
My only other comment is that the pillows are hard and the tiny showers only have large bottles of shampoo and soap which for GBP140 / night should be great individually packaged re-sealable amenities in case you are going further up-country where the soaps etc. may be pretty horrible !
Finally the service is very good and the staff are very helpful and mostly speak good English. I would unreservedly recommend this hotel for a stay but not their cooking. I hope they find a super new chef quickly.
(Stayed Dec 28th ~ 2008)

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank ukinjapan
Reviewed February 19, 2009

We stayed at Rachamankha during our honeymoon after staying at the Chedi Chiang Mai. Unfortunately, none of the suites were available, so we stayed in their smaller deluxe rooms. The room we stayed in was perfectly lovely and clean, but felt a little bit spartan and next time, would love to try the suite.

The common areas of the hotel are just beautiful. Understatedly stunning. All the staff we encountered were helpful and polite. Breakfast was great (although one very minor gripe about the cheese plate - it came with Babybel...(admittedly, we shouldn't have been so greedy as to have a cheese plate for breakfast!)). The Lanna-style lunch we had in the restaurant was utterly delicious - one of the best meals we had in CM.

We stayed here over new year's eve and attended a party which the owner of the hotel threw for guests and his friends. It was awesome - a spread of Lanna Thai food done in an "upscale" street food style (sounds an oxymoron, but they pulled it off with aplomb), about 4 different live bands (leading to the bizarre experience of dancing to a Thai cover version of YMCA three times in one evening), fireworks, floating lanterns, unlimited bubbly etc.

Overall, the room we stayed in didn't quite match up to the beauty elsewhere at Rachamankha, but it was still worth it to experience the uniqueness of this place.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2009

we stayed at the Rachamanka for 4 nights at the start of our honeymoon. It was a wonderful experience. The stay were fantastic and made us feel very special, the accomodation was stunning, it's a little different to your average hotel, as far removed from your corporate westernised hotels as you can get yet it still is luxurious and beautiful.

I felt like I was in old Thailand as opposed to westernised Thailand. The breakfasts were amazing, the staff refilled my coffe/ juice at least 5 times a meal. All of the food is fresh and tasty, we had a meal there one night too and whilst it wasn't cheap it was also top notch.

Staying here is an experience, it's a nice location because it's not in the centre of Chang Mai and too noisey. A must for anyone who likes something top class but a little different, however if you are used to Hiltons and corpoprate hotels then this may not be for you.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)