Rachamankha
Ranked #8 of 393 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I had read some of the reveiws of the Rachamankha before I arrived but nothing could prepare me for the absolute spendour of this 'hidden paradise'. I was totally overwhelmed by the setting, the architecture of the building, the 19th century Chinese antiques housed all around the hotel and most importantly the pleasantness and courtesy of the staff. I really couldn't fault anything. The attention to detail is incredible and surrounds you everywhere. The rooms were beautifully furnished, spotlessly clean and comfortable. The pool was absolutely glorious and just being able to relax listening to birdsong and no outside noise was so restful.The food was delicious and breakfast was a real treat. I really felt like a queen during my stay and cannot wait to return to this 'hidden paradise' a real oasis within the metropolis of Chaing Mai.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,125)

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Rachamankha is one of the best hotels in Thailand I have ever stayed at and I have been travelling to Thailand for over thirty years! Everybody was so polite and helpful and the ambiance and style was remarkable. All the carefully gathered antiques and furnishings just add to the pleasure of the whole experience. All aspects of the service provided have been carefully crafted to give maximum enjoyment to the guests.Truly a place to aspire to stay in on any tour of Thailand.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent and are only distinguished by pricing, wherever you stay in the hotel you ar...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank timothy b
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This retreat, hidden within the Old City gates was a real treat. I have not one complaint about my stay, in fact , it was perfect. The hotel was exquisite, the lanna style architecture and decor was beautiful. The rooms were nicely kept with a big comfy bed, an ample amount of toiletries (even insect repellent) and nice cold a.c.. The pool was a nice addition, as I came during hot season and Chiang Mai was extra sweaty. The Library may have been my favorite part. I would go in the morning to read my book and again in the evening for a before dinner brandy (yes, complimentary brandy is offered). The restaurant for dinner was real 5-star dinning - perfectly prepared meals and service - everything was delicious (except the Khao Soi...). And again for breakfast, the spread was lovely and my eggs were cooked to perfection. The hotel is quite and serene which made for a relaxing, leisurely weekend in Chiang Mai. It was nice being in the Old City without being on the main strip. This place is truly and Oasis and I wish to go back one day. I highly recommend it, although a bit expensive, I think it is worth it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ashley z
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Had a great time at the rachamankha. Most memorable was the stunning environment marked with an abundance of space, exotic art, gardens and proximity to chiang mai's most auspicious temple. Two thumbs up!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Lunched yesterday with two globetrotting business acquaintances, one from the island of Reunion, the other from Quebec and Sri Lanka(!). Both keen critics of hotels in general, they were ecstatic about the Rachamankha – as was I.
This was my second visit to this little boutique hotel, tucked away in a quiet lane in the middle of Old Chiangmai. Though my first visit was over a year ago I (a Chiang Mai resident and supposed expert on the place) had no hesitation in choosing it when they asked for 'something unusual, something nice'.
It lived up to their hopes and my expectations. While they focused on the details of design and menu choices, I was more interested in the staff. Having had decades of experience in professional service, I am naturally fascinated to see how well staff respond to guests' needs and – just as importantly – how they interact with one another and their supervisors. Staff harmony and cohesion are a vital, if under-appreciated element in guests' experience and the Rachamankha staff are clearly well-trained and well-supervised.
Inside, they were quick to anticipate our needs without fuss or delay, and they were unobtrusive wherever they were not needed. Since I was seated by a large window overlooking the lovely courtyard throughout our 3-hour lunch I also had the opportunity to observe the outside staff (neatly uniformed in traditional navy blue cotton outfits) handling mundane tasks like window-cleaning and transplanting of the shrubbery. Again, their teamwork and efficiency was admirable and their productivity remained consistently high, though I never saw a single order issued or a direction given.
The overall effect was soothing and harmonious and I left with my reputation as a hotel-recommender enhanced and my visitors charmed. I warmly recommend this friendly, charming little place and commend whomever is responsible for maintaining its consistently high standard of hospitality.

Room Tip: Overlook the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank peterwalrus
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed in May which was very hot, but the hotel and grounds were beautifully cool and shady. We would tour in the mornings ie Doi Suthep temple in the hills, and Elephant conservation park and then come back for lunch by the pool and swim. Followed by a little nap before dining in their lovely restaurant in the evenings. Or you can have a lovely glass of wine sitting in their dining courtyard. I was surprised to learn it is only a few years old as it had the feel of a much older historical building. The walls are thick which keeps the rooms cool and tho the bathrooms can be small they were tastefully appointed. The toilettries were replaced as required, and so were the towels. A little too often if anything as I dont believe in washing
towels after just one use, but thats hardly a critisism.

Our room was stunning with four poster bed - sooo comfy - it was I believe the Deluxe room. I should point out that there dont seem to be any rooms with a view as on the ground floor anyway the windows face to the back of the resort and not to the inner courtyard and gardens. Perhaps the rooms on the upper floor would have this?

We loved everything abt this boutique residence, from the layout and gardens to the food in the dining room, which we found to be really good. Breakfast was inclined to be a bit similar, as it is brought to your table and not buffet, but the quality was great and much more than we could eat anyway.

The staff were gorgeous and attentive and we didnt have to wait long for anything. If I went back to Chiang Mai I would certainly stay there, and recommend to others. I will point out tho that it is (within the city 'walls') at the opposite side to the river and night market areas which have a lot of other dining choice and hotels, but a short tuk tuk ride was all that was required and I think it was probably a lot quieter for this reason.

Thank you Rachamankha for a lovely welcoming and personal stay, highly recommend.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe rooms - well worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank Gidday!again
Reviewed June 18, 2013

It's been nearly 2 years since our stay at Rachamankha, and we so often think back at the wonderful time we had. So, not an up-to-date review, but proof of the long-lasting positive impact this stylish boutique hotel can have. My partner and I visited during a tour of Thailand in mid/late July 2011 and loved the place! The location is a little away from the hustle and bustle, but close enough for a leisurely stroll to the main road, on which so many of Chiang Mai's awesome temples can be found (this is within the wall of the historic part of the city). The food was excellent (breakfast a la carte), the service was fantastic (friendly and helpful), the pool is great and the library was a real highlight as well. You have to see it and experience it and create some beautiful memories of your own. Enjoy!
Other tips: take a tuk tuk to get to the night markets and don't miss out on a visit to the Elephant Nature Park north of Chiang Mai where rescued Elephants roam freely. You can feed and bathe them in the river. Also, take a larger tuk tuk to Doi Suthep, a magnificent temple north of the city.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple