“Come with high expectations and watch them be exceeded”

The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai
Ranked #1 of 393 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We recently stayed here on our honeymoon and it came highly recommended by my parents. This property is one of the only places in my recent memory that looks as good in person as it does in pictures. It is as beautiful at night as it is in the day. The beauty of this property is something to see and it is pretty evident that no expense was spared immersing guests in an authentic Thai atmosphere as it is modeled after ancient Lanna palaces. The architecture is stunning and I would call this property an "experience" rather than resort or hotel. The service is awesome on every level and I was called by my name no matter where I went. There was not a single negative event in my duration that I stayed there. There are two types of accommodations- a colonial suite that is much like a traditional hotel room which we did not stay in and a villa which is a free standing structure built like a traditional thai home on which sit on a working rice field. The villa was private and very luxurious and from what I can tell I would book a villa over a traditional colonial suite. The views were stunning and the interior of the villa was amazing. We ate at several of the on site restaurants which are priced to match the level of hotel this is however service and food are awesome- everything is worth the expense. I would recommend this property with enthusiasm. The only possible negative of this property is location- it is a short trip to the city center and for those seeking shopping/nightlife within walking distance- this may not be your property.

Room Tip: Choose a villa which is more private. They have available colonial suites which are situated like tr...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WSoonatt
Write a ReviewReviews (1,376)

Reviewed May 28, 2013

3rd Visit...3rd Review. Worthy of a plane ride for R&R. This time, we were in Villa 9, built for a family of 4 with older children. It's basically 2 villas in one compound. Children were in a house with twin beds, while ours with with King size. There is a good size pool, along with hot tub overlooking the rice field. Our building has a kitchen and outdoor shower; while the kid's unit has a sauna. There is a nice gazebo over the hot tub to lounge around.

Service is amazing as always. We were given complimentary breakfast for our loyalty. The day we were to leave, a service staff called to ask if we would like late check-out as our flight is not until later in the afternoon.

Noticed there are some new items for breakfast options. Love it for the high quality products and very health options. We also dined at the Thai restaurant located in front by the entrance. Definitely good!!! Pool side dining was a bit slow and option is limited.

Recommend checking out a bike and ride around the complex. Kids really enjoyed it. Amazingly peaceful to do a morning stroll to the rice fields and take photos.

Did some shopping at the "village" within the compound by the entrance. There are many selections from silk, jewelry, to antiques and a wonderful cafe for coffee and sweets. Also, there is the "hotel boutique" by the main lobby, though limited selections. Recommend getting any potteries from Baan Celedon, just 5 minutes taxi ride from the hotel. Better selection and price.

Spa service was not as good as the first time; maybe it was not my day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Visited this hotel the first time on a company sponsored meeting. I was overwhelmed at the sheer beauty of the property upon arrival. The check-in was a bit tedious due to the number of our party arriving at the same time, but this was quickly forgotten due to the hospitality of the staff and the cordial greeting.

My room was awesome, spacious, with wonderful view. Large bathroom with strong and hot shower (a must for me) with plenty of closet space. Bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning was perfect.

As mentioned, the facility is exceptional and the grounds are second to non as far as landscaping and overall beauty goes. Plenty of paths and walkways which are well marked. The rice paddy in the idle of the place near the bungalows was a nice change.

The fitness centre is adequate, could use more weights (if you are a serious weight lifter) but it works and you can get what you need done with a little effort.

The food was as good as I have eaten at any hotel in Asia. Thai dishes were superb an the western food was really nice. Enjoyed the variety at breakfast. The bar was well stocked and the staff there was genuinely cordial and funny. also enjoyed the pool bar as well (check out the pool in the early morning...quite quiet and refreshing, well maintained.

Tours arranged by the hotel were exceptional, visited the elephant sanctuary and a local traditional village in the area.

I am looking forward to a visit with my wife in the near future. this hotel is one of the best I have ever had the pleasure of staying in.

Room Tip: Rooms in Building C were exceptional, and I look forward to trying the bungalows on my next visit.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GlobalNomadity
Reviewed May 18, 2013

One of our favourite hotels anywhere this hotel deserves at least a week of any serious travellers time.spectacular and unique it is a destination in its own right..the three restaurants are unmissable and range of activities amazing..a word of warning.. If you have come from Bangkok you may find the service a little slow ..relax and you will find you mellow into the spirit of this haven of peace

Room Tip: Choice fantastic..go for a villa and nothing will ever be as good again!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Splendid hotel with everything but more than you would expect from a hotel! Got upgraded from normal villa to deluxe villa with jacuzzi. The villa have 2 floors, with living area with indoor and outdoor area (indoor with tv and Piano) and pantry on g/f, bedroom and bathroom with outdoor jacuzzi on 1/f. You could rent (for free) the latest DVD selection from the hotel library's wide collection (miniature block buster) and enjoy a relaxing night enjoying movies and beer.

As for hotel entertainment, there is a humongous lap pool around the colonial suites for those who wishes for a sporty swim and a tropical pool by the villas overlooking the awesome rice paddy fields! I spent my afternoons chilling by the pool listening to lounge jazz on my iPod, watching birds and dragon flies flying in and out of the rice fields. In the late afternoon, I took my bike (free to rent from the hotel) and cycled down the villas pathway exploring other parts of the huge hotel site, stopped at the largest paddy fields, parked my bike and walked into the fields to enjoy the nature with nice breeze and the natural environment (bonus was I had all this to myself as there were no visitors or staff at all). After the paddy exploration, grabbed my map and cycled down to the organic farm. You can see all the veggies there available on the breakfast buffet table (how fresh could that be!). The food in general is nicely presented, tasty and coffee lovers must try the ice coffee at the mandarin oriental coffee shop at the shopping village just outside of the entrance, it's awesome!

I would definitely give 9.9 out of 10 for the hotel! Sorry the 0.1 went to the crappy TV we had our villa. I'm sure the hotel could afford and at least upgrade the old 90's type TV to a LED/plasma (it's 2013 mate!)

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I would recommend this property to anyone who visits Chiang Mai - it was simply wonderful. I travel about150 days a year and this is probably one of the nicest resorts I have ever been too. Just lovely, wonderful people and attentive service. A+

Room Tip: Any room is unbelievable
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Maria910
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

We visited with our young children (8,7 and 2) an we all had a blast. The location is fantastic and all areas I the resort are easily accessible by short flat bike ride, walk or golf cart.
Service was impeccable throughout the hotel. Everyone seemed genuinely interested in making the stay as memorable as possible. The kids club was very enjoyable for our children. We also participated in the family rice planting activity which was great. We booked two tours at the hotel and both where very well arranged and
without fault. We had meals at the all the restaurants and cry time the food was great and they had no problem making special arrangements for our kids meals. The only downside we could find is that it is an expensive experience, but one that we enjoyed thoroughly.

• Stayed: May 2013