“Beauty and the twisted ankle....”

The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai
Ranked #2 of 388 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This resort is spectacular.The owner has spent a fortune on recreating a Lanna kingdom.This is a spectacular hotel,but.....the rooms are downright dangerous.I was in one of the villas and the bed is on a platform ,there are steps ito the bathroom.I challenge anyone not to trip over here.Same again outside on the dining terrace.Great Spa,Great Food,check in for our group however was handled poorly and they go confused re the airport pick up and didn't turn up.
Our swimming pool was tiny for a 5 bed villa and there were no real communal areas
I would certainly recommend this plea,but don't go if you easily sprain your ankles.....

Room Tip: We took the Presidential villa.It is not great place for a group,there is no del communal space and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I just stayed at last weekday.
I really enjoyed hotel complimentary services and concierge help us to enjoy better Chiangmai life!
I think that their service mind is best in spite of impassive reception of some employee.
An exotic atmosphere (traditional villa with rice field and pons) can give you a fantastic experience and mood.
However, my wife and I were a little disappointed with dark lighting and poor electric socket status of room. And in-room internet service was also charged.
Neverthless, I still love this resort because smile of concierge and Kids club tutor give us comfortable and good feelings.
I also was moved by prompt feedback and reply from general manager.
In the future, my family want to visit there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lovely!!!!!!withyou
Reviewed September 28, 2012

First of all I would like give big thank you out to all the staff of Mandarin Oriental Chiang Mai for making our stay So special and a Relaxing one . I was Excited from the Minutes that I for into the aircraft till I arrive at the Resort. Our Expectations was to see a Security personal who may open the Gate for the Car . instead We got to See “Smiling Security Person” with Such Light on his face . that point onwards we realized that we are going to get much more than we Asked for.
We were warmly welcomed a Great welcome Drink and Refreshing towels which were great at that time after long Flight and Transits. It took them (the Reception) No time to get our Documentation and the keys ready and to our surprise and upgraded room category as well. The dedicated reception personal escorted us to the buggy where we were taken to the Villa. A small tour around the facilities were Given enroute to the Villa which was really helpful.
It took us more than one Hour to explore our villa inch by inch as it was massive and interesting overlooking the paddies. The stay was extremely Comfortable and relaxing. There was very minor issue about the Air-conditioning in the Villa , which the staff were very attentive to time to time , everyone knew that there was problem with the air conditioning and tried to the maximum to get it fixed and make us comfortable.
Finally All the Facilities like the Dheva Spa, the private dining, Pool and everything else were Excellent. We enjoyed our stay Very much.
Once Again a Big thank you to the Staff and Management at Mandarin Oriental Chiang Mai, you have definitely got a repeat Guest and I would definitely suggest The Resort for my Friends Family and My colleagues

1  Thank Radeesha P
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This was my second stay and it was again a fantastic experience .. the service is top nocht everybody speak English and are here to provide quality service ... Four days on location make you feel like you had a full month Holiday .... all is so relaxing ....... Pamper yourself !!!!

1  Thank ypd
Reviewed September 20, 2012

When I arrived the hotel, I thought it was converted from a historical site, but indeed it's not. It was built like an ancient Lanna city. You can take beautiful pictures in many places within the hotel and it also look like a botanic garden with lots of trees. In fact, this place is so big that you can call their golf cart service to take you around to any point, or you can get a free bike from the Fitness Centre to cycling within the resort. They offer free wifi at the library, where it has thousands of DVD for hotel guests. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. I'd recommend the afternoon tea set at the Cake Shop, the environment is cosy and elegant while the cake and scones are delicious. The pool is beautiful and they are so friendly to offer floating aids for kids. We tried their famous brunch and also a dinner at their French restaurant. The brunch is reasonably good but not comparable to their Bangkok one. For French dinner, the service is great and the food is at reasonably good quality, though may not be exceeding your expectation. Lastly, don't be scared if you suddenly find a cat in your balcony.

Room Tip: try low season and you may get upgrade, as we did.
1  Thank Karen_Tem_Tem
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Where do I begin ? I visited this hotel when it first opened around 7-8 years ago . It was such spectacular site that I completely got lost in its enchanting beauty.There were replicas of temples ,Pagodas and an actual rice field ( with rice farmers !) inside the vast hotel ground.

Fast forward to 2012 and upon my return I was shocked that what was once a pristine beautiful hotel is now a run down Disney theme park that is more shabby than super chic.

I booked a Villa for 2 with breakfast that cost me around 670 USD and also a round trip airport transfer which was around 76 USD. The correspondents between the hotel and myself via email was very clear and all my questions were answer promptly. The Reservation officer was so helpful in booking restaurants and giving suggestions that I had a great feeling about my one nighter at the hotel .

I arrived in Chiang Mai in the morning and was met with a representative of the hotel who showed me to my 'limo'- a stretch white Mercedes Benz decked out in a retro fashion . All very James Bond circa 1970s . I was greeted on my arrival with a Mali flower necklace , a cold towel and a cold drink . The check in process was swift and I was told that my room was upgraded to a Villa which made me a little confused as I had booked a Villa Room in the first place .

I was showed to my room and because of the vastness of the place we had to take a ride in a golf cart . That was when I noticed that something was a little off . The pristine white walls of the hotel are now covered in murky gray streaks . The intended unkempt lush tropical gardens now just looked like messy. The walls of the villas looked like they were in dire need of repairs .The red brick pavements were damaged and have been repaired but the workmanship looked so patchy that I began to question where I was . Was this really Mandarin Oriental or some broke down palace passing itself off as a luxury resort .

Upon entering my villa I was quite impressed . It was huge and split into two levels . The open air downstairs complete with kitchen and dining area and a swing . Lovely . The upstairs bedroom has a en suite bathroom with a whirlpool tub , separate shower and toilet . It was very big indeed . I unpacked my bag and decided to hit the gym before my friend's arrival in the late afternoon.

The gym is big and it was empty. There were various machines as well as a workout bench and row of free weights . The gym is next to one of the pools. I was told that this pool was more beautiful than the other pool which was just your regular infinity pool . I finished my exercise 1.5 hour later and decided to walk back to my villa which was not very far from the gym . I had bought some snacks from Starbucks from the airport in Bangkok and after my workout I was looking forward to munching them while sitting on the swing in the comfort of my villa.

I opened the villa door to my upstairs bedroom and I was shocked at what I was looking at ! A gigantic RAT was rummaging through my bag and Starbucks' goodies ! OMG " ARGGGGGGGGGGGGG " I yelled at the top of my voice prompting the rat to run towards me so I stomped my foot on the floor and it ran to the opposite direction ! I could not believe this. A BIG FAT RAT on the writing desk in my villa at the luxurious Mandarin Oriental ! OMGx10000 !!!

I called the hotel operator in a panic and asked her to send someone to catch Mickey who I assumed was still in my room . A gardener came and he asked me whether what I saw was actually a Squirrel as they have a lot of Squirrels on the property . I was so mad and that point and told him that I could tell the differences between a squirrel and a bloody big fat rat ! I was told that the GM would come to my villa shortly. The GM is actually a very pretty lady called Ms Champunuch who was very apologetic and told me that she would move me to another room. She informed me that they were rained out for two days straight due to a tropical storm and they had to use heavy duty pest control method to get rid of all the pests which evidently escaped into guestrooms !

She got me on her golf cart and drove me to my new room which is this lovely pool villa that comes with its own steam room and a huge four poster bed. Ms Champunuch also sent over some treats ( cakes and fruits ) to make up for my Mickey Mouse run in . My friend arrived a few hours later and we went to have dinner at one of the hotel's restaurants called Le Grand Lanna which serves traditional Northern Thai food and regular Thai food. The food was very nice and the staffs were very charming . We walked back and I realised that what was once a spectacular site is now a Disney-fied version of its former glory . It was almost like being in a movie set and not in a good way.

We had a pleasant sleep and went for breakfast in the morning . It was pitiful. There were many choices but I thought the presentation was just awful for a Mandarin Oriental. The fruits were left on trays without any covers and had swarms of flies al over them . The staffs were very helpful but I couldn't stop reminding myself that this is THE MANDARIN ORIENTAL ! For heaven's sake ! I have come to expect a certain standard from this chain . I have stayed at Mandarin Oriental all over the world and this breakfast to me would not look out of place at a naff resort hotel.

I checked out and they charged me the price of the villa , my round trip transport and my dinner with absolutely no discount for my encounter with a field rat which was fine. I could afford it but it's also safe to say that I won't becoming A FAN of this Mandarin Oriental .

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
16  Thank kade9
Reviewed September 15, 2012

If somone would have showed me that Hotel and told me that it is the temple of the King I would actually go ahead and say "Wow what a nice temple!".

Thats how amazing the building looks. Never seen anything like that during my trips around the world. It is just breath taking. There are different kind of accomodations from colonial suits to houses and stuff.

All 3 restaurants are good. I liked the thai one the best. Also there is a horse car and a minicar service that can transport you through the hotel.

The staff is extremly friendly just like you would expect it to be. Also more friendly than in other culture since south east asians are more caring and smiling than other cultures which makes the experience even better. Also one thing worth mentioning is that the staff could speak very proper english which is somewhat rare in Thailand.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo