“Voted Best Hotel in the World and rightly so!”

The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai
Ranked #2 of 386 Hotels in Chiang Mai
yorkshire
“Voted Best Hotel in the World and rightly so!”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

During my stay in Chaing Mai with a friend he took me to this hotel for lunch.

We walked round the beautiful grounds and rice field before lunch and wandered round the hotel grounds - fabulous. It does not look like a hotel but this is surely part of the charm.

We ate round the lovely pool and the food was fantastic, excellent service and delightful staff. As we walked back to our car we met up with two water buffalo and their keepers which was a big surprise!

I would like to stay here just to complete the experience at some time. Wonderful - that is why it is not cheap!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Stayed here with the family in December with my wife and parents and sister. Here are my likes and dislikes

Likes
- This is a beautiful hotel and on huge grounds. I guess the hotel wants the guests to experience the thai 'lanna' northern style lifestyle with the rice fields and the Thai houses and buildings that look like temples. I guess this is what you pay for, as no other hotels in chiangmai offers this sort of experience.
- I preferred the pavilion rooms rather than the villa. The villa was big, but didn't feel luxurious for that price; The pavilion feels more comfortable, and smaller. The bathroom in the pavilion rooms was better designed than in the villas.
- we came here to attend a wedding at the hotel, which was beautifully organised. So this hotel really knows how to organise Thai weddings. I would recommend to couple who wants to organise wedding at this hotel.
- The food was good, as was expected from a mandarin oriental hotel
- The service was good, but nothing outstanding.
- the spa and gym and swimming pool was top class and well maintained.
- we loved the pool which overlooked the rice fields;
- The hotel offered bicycles to ride around the hotel since it was so big.

Dislikes
- This hotel is far from the city center. So to get to chiangmai city, you had to take a taxi which would cost at least Bt. 200;
- Walking distance from the lobby to the room is far. If you don't get the bicycles you had to wait for the cart to come pick you up, or walk 10 minutes to get to the room or lobby.
- the tv in the room was old style. The hotel should upgrade it's TV flat screen TVs.
- there was no wifi in the room (not that i remember)

This hotel i would go once, just to experience the Thai lanna style buildings with the rice field, but not sure the price would make me return to this place. Although it's a beautiful place to organise a wedding.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Profiterole
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We r stay villa 17 on 3-5march 2012 coz 4 march 5th wedding anniversary and my birthday. My son would like swimming and very very happy here. Everything Excellent!! / Big Thailand

• Stayed March 2012
Hampshire
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We stayed for a week at the Mandarin Oriental and were hugely impressed with the property. The villa we stayed in was fabulous, dark wood and laid out over 2 floors - to be honest we didn't really use the downstairs as the upstairs was huge. The overall resort is huge, but didn't feel overwhelming due to the winding brick paths, the paddy fields and beautiful buildings. We stayed by the quiet pool and on a couple of days we had it completely to ourselves ... the staff were AMAZING, Thailand is so friendly but the staff at the M.O were exemplary - always smiling and there to help. We met the manager at a drinks reception - this was a lovely touch as we got to chat to him and some of his team - in particular Rene was outstanding - we had many interesting chats with him throughout the week about food and wine - we felt very pampered and looked after by absolutely everyone in resort. We were there for a company incentive trip but arrived a few days early to take advantage of the resort .. we had a couple of amazing evenings on the lawn with buffet food which was fantastic, and a "gala dinner" for over 150 which tasted as though it had been cooked for just the two of us ..... an impressive achievement. We also had dinner at the Thai restaurant on resort and the food was fantastic - we felt very special.

I also had a spa treatment and again, could not fault the service, the staff and the massage.

Overall, one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in, a real delight ...

Room Tip: we stayed in a villa, the only downside we found were the mosquitoes, they were relentless. Just ma...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed March 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed in a Villa with its own private infinity pool overlooking the south rice field. The villa itself was huge. The resort was very peaceful and quiet with an amazing architecture. Service was excellent! When you are in the resort, you get the feeling that you just want to stay there while in Chiang Mai. We almost did except that we found the food did not taste like authentic thai even at the resort's own thai restaurant. I thought it lacked the spice that Thai food is known for. So we went outside and got ourselves some real thai food.

Room Tip: Get a villa!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I am a picky mingy reviewer and have rated 5-star to less than a handful of hotels. But for Mandarin Oriental, I gave her a 6-star rating. The construction and ornamentation of the resort is exquisite and I felt like staying in a palace. We stayed in a colonial suite with high ceiling, huge bathroom and a jacuzzi. The french windows lead us to our private porch overlooking a beautiful lawn, which gave us the most relaxing time enjoying our afternoon tea.
Services: The 6th star is really for every single staff of the resort. Services were impeccable and they were genuinely friendly and always ready to help. I felt that they enjoy their work and happy to assist. They never ask or signal for tips, in fact I witnessed a scene where a staff insisted not taking up tips from a guest. I am truly stunned.
Facilities: The resort provides a lot of free activities to keep their active guests busy. We cycled around on the hotel's bike (but we needed to wait for a day because they do not have enough bikes for everyone). Another thing amazed me is the collection of DVDs/CDs/magazines in their library. I am a movie person and I usually bring couple DVDs with me on every trip, but it's pointless to do so if you stay here. They have everything: even the whole collection of Woody Allen (ok, I am a big fan) and wide selection of french, spanish or other foreign movies.
Spa: We took an afternoon to indulge ourselves at the famous mandarin spa. The environment is perfect and the standard of massage was good -- but not exceptionally good. The Bangkok Mandarin is definitely better, so as other local massage parlours in Thailand or other Far East countries.
Dining: We dined in the resort throughout our 3-night stay. No one should miss the devilish breakfast; from homemade bread (and yoghurt!) to curry and fried rice, you name it. We had thai in the first evening -- food was good and the live performance of traditional dancing was entertaining. We had a special BBQ dinner in the second evening where tables were set next to their small organic farm. I am very impressed with the hotel's effort in utilizing their vast area of land in setting up an organic farm, which benefit both the locals (for more work) and their guests (for quality food). I hope this project can go on and possibly expand to larger scale.
For our last evening, we booked a chef-table-dinner at their french restaurant and had our meal in their kitchen. Dominique Burnand, the executive chef, who is also the director of the F&B tailor-made a menu for us. The food was delicious and the friendliness of Dominique made us a very delightful evening.
In general, I adore this resort. It's perfect for a retreat guaranteeing peace and quiet. Note for improvement is more bikes and free wifi (at least in the lobby)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ScourerLoBo
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Beautiful location, incredible atmosphere and setting, beautiful villas. Good but not fantastic food, and some need for improved maintenance on some of the villas (outside mainly). May consider heating for the villa pools.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business