“Exceeded all my expectations and beyond!”

The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai
Ranked #2 of 395 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in August 2008 and, as I was not a Tripadvisor member at that stage, I am only writing about it now. In fact, let it be said that is how long the memory lingers on of such a fine resort. I stayed here for a week and travelled alone. I had the most memorable experience, pampered with excellent service, food and activities to fill every moment of the day. The library was a wonderful place in which to work, explore, read, relax or even just pick up either a cd or a dvd, and the choices were infinite. The architecture was beautiful. The service was underlined with graciousness, generosity and kindness. Never before and never again have I had such impeccable service, I was truly humbled. I learnt a lot about the Thai as a people. I had occasion to travel to the Mhong village and to the great temple at the top of the hill. The view was spectacular. I also took a tour to ride elephants in the forests - an experience I could never forget.

My accommodation at the Dhara Dhevi was superb. I had dinner at the Chinese, as well as at the Thai restaurant on the resort and I had tea at the tearoom in the village and I can say that the food is amazing and of course the service immaculate.
Sometimes, I decided to have dinner under my gazebo at my villa overlooking the rice fields. i was served like royalty. My table prepared for me, with a fresh orchid and new candle and then my diner was served for me. The waiters even wanted to wait on me whilst I had my dinner, although I preferred to call them once i had eaten.
Although I travelled alone, I was always welcomed with open arms.

The spa at the resort needs particular mention. I had the Indian treatment and at the end of it I felt 10 years younger, totally relaxed and a new person. I would highly recommend anyone visiting this resort to have at least one spa treatment.

I will certainly visit this fine resort again in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,388)

Reviewed January 11, 2012

Fabulous hotel, unique Northern Thai architecture, very well landscaped, polite and friendly staff, tasty food, beautiful spa... couldn't say enough! A really great experience! Highly highly recommended!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nakrishya
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Splendid architecture, very well landscaped, picturesque scenaries, serene environment, beautiful nature, very friendly, polite and well trained staff, generous and efficeint housekeeping, mouth watering and tasty food at all 3 restaurants, beautiful spa, amazing villas with perfect amneties, organized, neat and tidy library......

Eveything, everyone, and every detail at Mandarin Oriental Dhara Devi made our stay an unforgettable experience.

Highly highly recommneded!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hani T
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Magnificent property, fabulous hotel, attentive and competent staff. Cooking School was terrific! Tiger Kingdom was also amazing!

Room Tip: 2BR Villas with Pool are spectacular; liked being near the Spa
1  Thank daveninc
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We just returned from our 3rd Christmas at the Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai. This is truly one the most magical spots to stay. It was so nice to be greeted and remembered by the staff. We booked a Deluxe Colonial Suite to be close to the pool and were very happy with the exception of the late party one night.

We did not use the resort as much as in years past but still loved the room, library, spa and overall ambiance of the resort. This was booked via our AMEX Fine hotels plan which included the fabulous breakfast and a few other perks. My wife took advantage of the spa and really enjoyed her treatment albeit it was very expensive for a massage in Thailand.

The only thing that does drive me nuts at the Dhara Dhevi is the charge for wifi. It is free in the library which is where we primarily used it but with jetlag it would be nice to sit in the room and email etc without the charge. Hence the "value" rating set at very good. The room rate is hefty enough and as a 3rd time visitor staying more than 7 nights on each of our stays it would be a nice thing to have included. In addition, the service can be a bit slow when you call for anything from room service. We waited 45 minutes to get some plates delivered but Thai time is to be expected.

I did find an awesome Thai laundry lady out to the right of the resort about half a block for a 1/16th the price of hotel. Very easy and always well pressed clothing - I love Thai laundry. I know this sounds funny but I would rather spend my baht on shopping and eating.

The Christmas dinner was spectacular. They brought the boys choir in again and we loved it. The food is ridiculous with plenty of choices. Our kids love the fat Thai Santa and his cute elves.

It was another excellent stay at the Dhara Dhevi we look forward to our 4th stay soon.

1  Thank ckayjr
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights in August as a family with two daughters aged 14 and 12 and it was fabulous. The hotel is stunning with its Thai architecture and our villa was amazing - 2 villas with own pool and each villa was two storeys. The best bit for us was cycling everywhere around the resort - popping to spa for amazing treatments, library to borrow dvd or check emails, whizzing to pool or tennis courts. We used the gym and tennis courts each day and were always provided with towels, water etc which was lovely. Breakfast was amazing - loved the honeycomb especially. We tried all restaurants and favourite was the Thai which was lovely. We also tried a cooking afternoon and were completely spoilt having the teaching kitchen to ourself - fabulous chef/teacher called Om - we ate our fab creations in our own dining area in between cooking each course - highly recommend. Loved sitting out looking out over the paddy fields both during the day and evening - just lovely. Only downside is every other hotel we stayed at on our trip (Laos and back to Chiang Mai - boutique hotel) couldn't match the Mandarin.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank GoodwoodSingapore
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Having stayed at Mandarin Oriental hotels in the past, and reading good things about Chiang Mai, we decided to stay for the holidays. We had previously stayed at the Four Seasons Chiang Mai and had a wonderful experience. Unfortunately, we wish we'd gone back to the Four Seasons as the hotel was overpriced and a real disappointment. While the overall property is large and pretty, and the intent is to create a 19th century experience, we never felt that we had a five star experience, although we were paying five star prices. While the food was good and the staff was friendly, the pricing was way too high for an experience like the one we had. Perhaps this is why it was not surprising that it was less than 1/2 full during the Christmas holiday, while other properties we visited were overflowing with guests.

3  Thank wrldwonder