“Dream destination of a lifetime”

The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai
Ranked #1 of 394 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Until you visit this amazing sancutary anything that anyone says will only be an undersell. Set on an extensive property this resort has the feel of ancient times with all the mod cons. The people and staff are the most welcoming in the business. The GM version of hospitality sets a new standard of service and it all flows from there. All of our requirement were not only met, but exceeded.
We'll definately be coming back, and recommending to everyone to add the Manadrin Oriental Chaing Mai to their must do bucket list.

Room Tip: Stayed overlooking the rice fields, but also request a rooms inspection and each and every one was e...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,377)

Reviewed October 15, 2011

Best people, service and the hotel is magnific!
I recomend for everybody

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank ReCavali
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I had the pleasure of a stay here with my husband and son The hotel is a bit like a set from an Indiana Jones Movie! Ruined temples and palaces, old shops paddy fields and streams, very beautiful! Chang Mai is the 2nd largest city in Thailand and is quite built up so it is a lovely peaceful place to stay away from the bustle of the town centre,. The grounds are lovely and best seen from a bicycle, we had them for our stay it is a good way to get around, golf buggies take you around if you find walking difficult as the resort is very spread out. There are 2 pools we loved the one overlooking the paddy fields, very relaxing the view is charming . I loved the staff they are all without exception friendly and professional. I did not meet any rude or loud staff
Our only complaint about our room was it was so big we kept losing things! The room was palatial and beautifully furnished, we had 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms a lobby and a huge dressing room. The tours desk arranged some great sigtseeing for us with very good guides

We had a very good Chinese meal and also a Thai meal which included Thai dancing which was fun. My husband and son both believe this is the best hotel they have ever stayed in we were all sad to leave. I did not see the spa so cannot comment but is supposed to be amazing the prices did look expensive

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We could not be any happier with our stay at the Mandarin Dhara Dhevi. It was pure heaven! The resort is sensory overload, but in the best possible ways. The grounds immerse you from the moment you drive through the gates in a sense of Old World luxury and grandeur…. Thai style. We felt a million miles from the outside world. So peaceful! Such thoughtful attention to every single detail as well !!! Not just to the architecture, the landscape, the water ways, food presentation or the villas themselves … but most importantly the stellar service (with all smiles).

I’ve stayed at many grand 5 star properties from Dubai to India to New York, and will state emphatically that this resort excels on the service level in a masterful way. Of course this service with a smile is inherent to the Thai people, but the Mandarin management takes this to the highest possible level. I won’t enumerate the various moments during our stay where someone (be it the butler, the various managers, or other staff) made a gesture or effort to put another smile on our face. Be assured that they do quietly observe every small detail regarding their guests stay and seem almost obsessed with making sure that you have the best possible experience while in their care. The attention to your happiness is not invasive, but doting.

We have another three weeks in Thailand and have more luxury resorts on our schedule, but the Mandarin will be very very hard to beat. I wish that there was a way to bottle a feeling that you can have in a place, in a moment and time. No video or photograph can sometimes truly capture the full sense and feeling of a place. That is so true at this Mandarin. If you are even remotely considering it for a stay or upcoming visit … DO IT! It is worth making a trip to Chiang Mai even if you weren’t thinking of doing so. Make it work.

We truly can not wait to come back again.

Quick tips :

- Have a private romantic “bbq” or diner in your villa. Myriads of candles, rose petals, flowers and more adorned this very memorable outdoor experience.
- Indulge yourself at the spa.
- Take the time to wander the property to fully appreciate the love and care that went into it’s creation.

1  Thank 236joshc
Reviewed October 6, 2011

During my last stay in Chiang Mai few days ago, had decided to pass by there to have a look at this so well famous property and such disappointments we faced there...

At the first step you have this feeling to enter in a kind of temples areas and serenity as well quietness is all around you just for few minutes as this place is full of Chinese guests who does not have any clue about luxury and respect of the area. I worked and lived enough in China to know their behaviors and to see that.

We wanted to take their aftenroon tea and we went to the main lobby to ask some information about it, a young and very nose up Thai man (behavior very surprising for Thai people) told us in a very rude way there is no afternoon tea served in the main building of the hotel and we have to go to their shopping arcade to get it.

Hotel in general does not look clean and well maintain, I found mainly small details as mold in the bottom of the little fountains/pounds around the buildings, paint cracks on the white walls of the place, a piece of tape on the house use phone set at the entrance, the man toilets were not really clean as well smelly mold.

We went to the shopping arcade and found out that the "famous" afternoon tea is served in a very small bakery shop, with no music, couple of light bulbs fused and no any "whooo" effect full of Chinese yelling and talking loudly with the mouth full of food.
Sorry I am not picky but was absolutely not ready to spend 800 THB for 2 persons for such atmosphere and service.
The waitress was not really helpful and when I asked her information about the afternoon tea she replied to me without looking at me to read the board fixed on the wall.... service was definitely not coming from the heart...
We took a chocolate scone as well a "Tendresse" cake as take away and to be honest we were disappointing by them especially the cake who has nothing extraordinary...
Went to the toilets near the bakery shop before leaving and was terrifed to see some dirty and old bathroom mats set on the floor with holes and torned angles....

For sure this place is not for me and such a waist of time to go there except for the area and design but not even sure anymore... there are many more much nicer and courteous places in Chiang Mai to go....

19  Thank Chrisinasia
Reviewed October 6, 2011

What can I say? After so many stays, the Dhara Dhevi still remains our favourite place to stay. Everything is perfect. Ok, I have to admit, the interior decoration of the rooms and villas may be a little bit old-fashioned or sometimes even a little bit wacky...but to be honest: who wants to see the same stuff like at home or the decoration used in the usual hotel rooms during the vacation? This is a special, high-luxury exotic location with a more than perfect service (# 1 in 2011 / worldwide) and THE place to unwind from the daily round. Many of the guests are returning again and again to the Dhara Dhevi and they know why. I always remember what the Chef Dominique told me one day: we have 2 categories of guests. The first category is visiting us only one time; the second one becomes member of the Dhara Dhevi family and will return as often as possible. This statement is absolutely correct.
For my wife and myself, it's every time a peaceful paradise. The amiability of the staff is unbelievable! An example? My wife is an allergy sufferer and needs special alimentation: no problem at all. You name it and they do whatever they're able to do. This is not so common, even in expensive hotels.
I hope we'll be able to stay again at our favourite resort in 2012. An advice for all the future guests: you have to see, and in some kind, to feel it, in order to believe such a stunning place exists!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marc et Myriam W
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Got a chance to stay in this lavishly-appointed estate. We've got a surprise upgrade from Colonial suite to Deluxe Pool Villa (Thai Lue style) by the rice fields upon check-in. The staff was all nice, very polite and attentive to our request. We came as a family of 4 (My mother, sister, nephew and myself) and everybody was exalted with the upgrade. On the first day, we had exhilarating yet entertaining experience about rice planting. Every nook and corner of this place is all photogenic. The garden is so impressive, with huge and rare mature trees beautifully landscaped throughout the place, interspersed with the golden spires and towers of the Lanna and Burmese pavilions.
Staying here is like indulging yourselves in a private theme park with emphases on the cultural, lifestyle and architectural aspects of Northern Thailand, Myanmar and Laos. But the most impressive of all is the staff hospitality. Their genuinely service-minded attitude transcends above all those spires, golden statues, and magnificent grounds.
The second night we had a surprise edible gift consisting of mini-sandwiches, cakes and macarons as an apologetic token for the short breakdown of power in our villa earlier in the morning. The "problem" actually lasted only about 15 minutes and we were ready to go out for breakfast without any grumble. The third night, the GM invited our family to join a pre-dinner cocktail at the Horn Bar for some refreshments with Lanna-style tapas. Then, we had a sumptuous dining in the resort's famous French restaurant dubbed Farang Ses (derived from Thai accent in pronouncing the word "francaise". As expected, the food was great with the service and atmosphere to match. However, the soups (both the onion and lobster bisque) seemed to be a little bit too sweet for our taste bud. In all, this is the place that I truly enjoyed and relaxed. The downside of staying here is generally the high price but in our case, the tariff has been more than 70% reduced (till September only) with further upgrade to pool villa. This place has permanently imprinted positive images in my memory and that I will return no matter how long it takes to fulfill.
P.S. I thought macarons here at the Oriental Shop (Kad Dhara, Chiangmai) are one of the most delicious in the world, equivalent to those famous houses in Paris and London and yet at a much more economical price (14 baht per piece or around 0.50 USD)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family