After traveling via 4 flights from the east coast of the USA to Chiang Mai, the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi was chosen for our 1st two days/nights to recover from the 12 hour jet lag. Two colonial suite rooms were booked via the American Express Fine Hotel and Resorts program. Prior to our arrival in Chiang Mai, transportation was arranged for THB 1,650 for four people. Upon arrival at the hotel, my traveling party was greeted with local Thai flowers, cold towels and cold tea, and seated in the open air lobby for check-in. This was a very nice touch! We were upgraded to a two room villa, but settled instead on a one room vila and colonial deluxe suite.
The villa's are outstanding, as our one room villa had a plunge pool and steam shower. There was an Nespresso machine in the kitchen and bose stereo system in the living room. However, I especially enjoyed the outside rain forest shower which was part of the upstairs master bedroom. During our trip a member of Thai royal family was staying at the property.
The hotel offers 24 hour transportation via golf cart around the 60+ acre property 24 hours a day and will arrive within 5 minutes of contacting the operator for a ride. The included breakfast buffet (AmEx FHR) was outstanding. Service was top notch which is typical found in Mandarin Oriental asian properties.
The hotel is located 15 minutes from downtown Chiang Mai and has a shuttle service that runs daily. The shuttle for the night market leaves the hotel at 7:30pm and returns back at 10:30pm, but be sure to book in advance.
The only excessive charge was WiFi at THB 600 per day, which I believe should just be included in the rate. For THB 750 a SIM/micro SIM chip for 3GB of data can be purchased upon arrival at the Chiang Mai airport if you have an unlocked phone (i.e. iPhone) and the personal hot spot feature of iOS can be used for WiFi within the villa.
Finally, we took advantage of the $100 USD spa credit per room (AmEx FHR hotel amenity) and highly recommend the traditional Thai massage especially after traveling from the US. The spa is one of the finest in the world that I have experienced.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai is set on 60 acres of verdant tranquil grounds in the historical heartland of Northern Thailand. The hotel's unique design draws from the region's rich architectural and cultural heritage that flourished during the Lanna period, which lasted from the mid-13th century until the mid-16th century, and enjoyed a further resurgence in the last 200 years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi, Chiang Mai Hotel Chiang Mai
- Mandarin Oriental Chiang Mai
- Mandarin Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Mandarin Oriental