Prior to the trip, we read a lot about the positive reviews on hotel and we had very high expectation of the resort.
The road leading to the resort can be quite misleading as you'll have to go through the small lanes. When were arrived, we were warmly welcome with jasmine garlands and welcome drinks before being settled down on the loungers for a detailed check-in. We had everything explained to us - amenities, restaurants, shops, spas, lanna kids club - and every of our queries were patiently answered and explained all in the comfort of lazing on the longer. This is how all check-ins should be done.
As we were traveling with my parents, we had a 2 bedroom villa with a small little pool. As the grounds were very extensive, we had a buggy brought us to our little home for the next week. The villa is 2-storey with the bedroom on the upstairs and a spacious hall with very well equipped kitchenette downstairs. The bathroom is a big as the bedroom with both indoor/outdoor showers as well as a tub. The whole place was very well kept daily by the housekeepers. As we had more than sufficient space upstairs, we hardly ventured downstairs. Another reason is because the stairs is located outside... Our villa looked into the padi fields and Loy Kham pool and it was lovely sight waking up to the sight of the pink water buffalo working on the fields.
The daily buffet breakfast spread was good with a good mix of both Asian and western selections. What I like best was my daily latte that came with a cinnamon stick in place of the spoon; unique and best of all, the slight tinge of cinnamon together with the latte tasted heavenly! We had a BBQ dinner at Akaligo and the spread of fresh seafood and various meats were fantastic; the freshly made souffles were out of this world too! Food over at Fujian was good too; in fact, we enjoyed the peking duck so much that we went back couple of times for lunch and dinner throughout our stay. After a meal at Fujian, you can do some window shopping as there are couple of shops selling local handicrafts and jewelery; a tailor there too if you need one! It is also worthwhile having dinner at the Grand Lanna as they have the nightly Thai cultural dance performance. We were lucky the night we were there as they was also a small Thai wedding celebration!
The Lanna kids club is one of the best that we have seen so far. The activities offered were unique and required lots of hands-on - e.g. lanna lantern making, fan/umbrella painting, rice planting... perfect for kids from 6 years or older. The staffs were excellent too. We left our kids there daily while we relax by the Loy Kham pool under the cool wintry weather (pool is opposite of the kids club). We enjoyed exploring the grounds of MO too using the complimentary bicycles from the fitness club. Not to be missed is also the horse carriage ride within the resort compound... kids love it!
Overall, it was a fantastic stay with great family bonding time. No doubt the cost can be on a high side but I must say it is worth to indulge!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai is set on 60 acres of verdant tranquil grounds in the historical heartland of Northern Thailand. The hotel's unique design draws from the region's rich architectural and cultural heritage that flourished during the Lanna period, which lasted from the mid-13th century until the mid-16th century, and enjoyed a further resurgence in the last 200 years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Preferred Hotels, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi, Chiang Mai Hotel Chiang Mai
- Mandarin Oriental Chiang Mai
- Mandarin Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Mandarin Oriental