We stayed here in late dec, 2013 with 3 adults and two young children in two rooms. This is a new hotel that clearly caters to Chinese tourists. I struggled on how to review this place as the staff bent over backwards to please us, but at times, the language barrier was too wide to bridge and simple things like a request for a packet of instant coffee from a person standing in the kitchen went unfilled because the person did not understand that i wanted the coffee for when I woke up, not when the maids conducted room service and replenished the condiments at 10am….. This can be a great place if the categories below meet your needs:
+ new building, with great bathrooms, balconies for every room clean rooms and comfortable beds
+ good blackout curtains for sleeping
- room lighting was strange per previous reviewer - a single recessed spot light was over the center of the bed. No real area lighting in the room…you had to turn on all spot lights and the two very dark night stand lamps. I ended up taking the shade off my light stand to read in bed and turned off the "interrogator's spotlight" over the bed.
+ good price for value given that we booked this at high high season
+ covered pool area with various canopy bed style lounge seats is very tranquil
+ Intimate bar and a small dining area next to pool with water features flowing around the bar
+/- the colors are bright and decor in places over the top as per previous reviews - one could call this decor "Louis XIV meets Andy Warhol en el Caribe". Clearly, this was decorated to appeal to Chinese national tourists (I lived in China for 5 years, so I can vouch for what these places look like…)
+/- a five minute walk from Huay Kaew Road down a side street, but the hotel has a tuk tuk and driver on standby all the time, so this is not an issue for us.
The following two issues were a real shame if you plan on spending any time hanging out in the evening or plan on sleeping before midnight….the rooms had lovely balconies, but the two issues below forced us to close the balcony doors and use the AC to create white noise to fall asleep:
- located within the airport flight path. All departing flights execute a max power climb out of the airport and then do a 180 turn over the hotel so they do not fly over down town. and of course, most flights depart in the evening so people can get a full day in before they depart.
- - located near a club with an outdoor Karaoke bar. Regardless of how the evenings started, they always ended late at night to the sound of karaoke singers baying like wounded hounds. If I had a time machine, I would go back in time and terminate the inventor of Karaoke the week before they thought of this timeless machine of torture.
++ Pool side area was great in the afternoons - part of the pool was covered by the building, and part was outside, so you could be in sun or shade, with breezes blowing through. We had to checkout at 1pm, but were able to enjoy the pool area with our two young children for ~ 3 hours before we left for airport
++ staff was very courteous and would always try to help. We requested a late change to rooms upon arrival, and the staff was very accommodating.
++ Although this hotel did not have a children's play room, this was a great place for children as the staff was always very accommodating, the pool side area was a good place for supervised children's play and there is a lawn area with benches in front where kids could run around.
- - Language barriers prevented effective service - see example about instant coffee request at opening of my review
- - Breakfast was borderline inedible - heavy emphasis on chinese national tourists and eggs undercooked. YOu could request custom cooked eggs, but this took a while to get your order filled. Only saving grace was a salad bar with 5 types of lettuce and other veggies that made for a good salad, but overall experience was lacking due to lack of protein.
- - Internet realiability was very low and did not work at all in certain rooms.
- - Restaurant had 1 menu for entire hotel. Not all entries translated to english. No room service or copies of menu in the rooms.
+ Restaurant food was really good, if you understood what you were ordering from the single menu.
So, if you are using this place as a place to sleep after day and night adventures, this place is great. if you need a place to recuperate at night or recharge with young kids, this can be a challenging location. Please keep in mind that this property is new, so the staff is on a learning curve for the service issues i reported above. But in the end, this place largely caters to asian tour groups and national families.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When visiting Chiang Mai, you'll feel right at home at At Pingnakorn Huaykaew Hotel, which offers quality accommodation and great service. With its location just 2.8 Km from the city center and 03.00 Km from the airport, this 4-star hotel attracts numerous travelers each year. Visitors to the hotel can take pleasure in touring the city's top attractions: Vista Movie Theatre, Consulate of Australia, Suriyan Jantra,Nimmanhaemin Road, Suthep Temple,Chiangmai Zoo, Maya Shopping Center, Offering hotel guests superior services and a broad range of amenities, At Pingnakorn Huaykaew Hotel is committed to ensuring that your stay is as comfortable as possible. The hotel provides room service, facilities for disabled guests, restaurant, poolside bar, concierge to ensure our guests the greatest comfort. Guests can choose from 46 rooms, all of which exude an atmosphere of total peace and harmony. The hotel offers an excellent variety of recreational facilities, including sauna, fitness center, pool (kids), steamroom, indoor pool. When you are looking for comfortable and convenient accommodations in Chiang Mai, make At Pingnakorn Huaykaew Hotel your home away from home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your At Pingnakorn Huaykaew Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.