“Great stay with Galare”

Ranked #62 of 376 Hotels in Chiang Mai
New York City, New York
“Great stay with Galare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2011

I had a very comfortable 3-night stay at Galare and for about $38USD/night, it was a real bargain! It was about 20min from the train station & I paid the tuk tuk driver 80 baht (not sure if I could've gotten for less since I didn't bother to bargain). The room is a medium sized, with a huge king bed, tv, mini-fridge & desk. There's enough room to move around to get stuff though I guess it would be a tighter fit with more than 2 people. Bathrooms are small but my apt has a closet of a bathroom so hotel bathrooms never bother me. IIRC, there's a universal outlet near the desk (so you don't even need an adapter) but my iPod charger didn't fit in the space so I just unplugged the minifridge whenever I charged my iPod. Just be aware, there's no hair dryer, which I didn't realize until I got there. December is perfect weather so I usually just turned the ceiling fan on at night. I'm also addicted to the internet so I just paid for unlimited wireless, which worked fine since the router was right outside my room.

Nothing is open in the area in the morning, so I usually had breakfast in their restaurant. For dinner, I usually walked to the food court in the Galare Night Market. The several night markets & vendors in the area are easy to get to, through some quiet streets. Though these small streets are safe, do be aware of your surroundings, tho it's usually motorcycles & cars you'll have to look out for. There's also a garden area to lounge in if you had time.

Since it was a last minute decision to visit Chiang Mai (a week before my 3-wk SEA trip), I booked a Golden Traingle/Chiang Rai tour through the hotel, which will be a bit more expensive. If you want to save a bit, the add-ons (Karen Longneck Village, boat to Laos) can be bought at the attractions themselves. I imagine this is also true of other tours. Since I arrived later than planned (trains will always be 1+ hrs late), I ended up taking an afternoon tour to Doi Suthep/Hmong Village. It's not advertised on their site but the tour agent told me about it when I paid for my Chiang Rai trip and it seemed convenient since it the tour was starting in 10min. I also booked a visit to Elphant Nature Park from the park's site. All tours were in minivans for 12-13 people & picked me up from the hotel. However, sometimes they only dropped me off in front of the soi if another car/van was coming out because the driving space is small. To get to the train station or airport, you'll have to walk to the end of the soi to the main road, so make sure your bags are either light or have wheels. I really liked Galare and would defintiely stay there when I drag my friends to Chaing Mai next time!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2011

This is a very nice hotel for the money! The staff is very welcoming and it located close to the market so you can walk everywhere. There is a small restaurant if you want a quick breakfast or a beer.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2010

I have often stayed in Galare guesthouse, and my return visit lived up to my previous experience there.
The guesthouse is in a quiet location by the river, but just a short walk from the night bazaar and the other riveside attractions in Chiang Mai.
The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the garden and setting is delightful.
The staff were extemely helpful in organising a hire-car for me, after I had myself failed miserably phoning around various companies for an hour.
All in all it was a very pleasant stay and I will be returning for the new year.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Harrow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2010

We were looking a nice and comfortable place in Chiang Mai to finish our Asia trip and found Galare will fit our criterias. From the first minute we felt very well as staff welcomed us with a great availability delivered with a smile.
The room are nice and spacious. The garden along the river is peaceful and the cuisine is very nice.
They have a partnership with Lanna travel, housed within the resort and they offer many different and interesting activities. We did a one day outdoor activity who was a great success. We also went to the cooking school they are partner with and we spent another great day there (Thai Orchid Cooking School).
Staff were always ready to help and always willing to have a little friendly chat.
We stayed 4 nights and recommended other friends to join us. They eventually stayed 5 more nights after we went back to Bangkok.
I can't imagine going anywhere else when I return to Chiang Mai and I will definitely recommend the place to anyone.
I forgot to say it is also very close the daily night bazaar.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

Honestly can't think of anywhere better to stay in Chiang Mai. From the moment of arriving to the final departure the staff make you feel that YOU are the only person staying, and that you are friends not guests.
We've stayed here now for more years than memory permits and the staff, the style, the quality and the value remain. It truly is a home from home, and one which will entice you back time and time again. Even with a yearly visit the restaurant remember your favourites and the reception staff could not be better.
Another real bonus is the type of people who stay here - travellers not tourists and always a wonderful eclectic selection of professional and travelling folk who give the guest house a superb air of being part of the city, whilst relaxing and peaceful along the banks of the Ping river.
Rooms are Thai style and without the big 5* 'anywhere in the world' look, but so clean and comfortable, with room staff who truly take care of the guests.
Over the years we have taken many friends to Galare, and now they take their friends - that has to say so much.
We love this place because they make us feel special - and not many places can get close to this.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2010

Don't be put off by the "Guest House" label. This is a very good quality place to stay with excellent quiet, clean and comfortable rooms, good facilities, attentive staff and close enough to the centre of things for it to be within 15 minutes walking distance, and closer for the main night market. Their restaurant is moderate, though it's worth having breakfast here as the only place in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

If you don't want to break the bank, this place has all you need. Good location, cute setting on the river, serves a good breakfast. The front desk staff are helpful with booking thai cooking classes (and they send you to a REALLY great one), treks, and even thai boxing tickets. If you are planning anything, let them know and they may be able to pre-book it for you. The tables by the river are a great place to sit and have a drink at the end of the day. Just be careful when the sun goes down and mosquitoes come out! The rooms are not fancy, but have what you need. And the hotel is located within walking distance to the markets.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple