Galare Guest House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$291
$57
$47
$42
Agoda.com
Bodhi Serene Hotel(Chiang Mai)
$125
$93
Rainforest Boutique(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
$28
All reviewsping rivernight marketnice garden to sitold cityhalal foodsmall restaurantrooms are basicriver viewbit datedwithin walking distancedrinking waterquiet locationfour nightsair conthe ground floortoursguesthouse
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 10, 2009

We spent 5 nights at the Galare. I've eaten a lot of Thai Food and have to say that the restaurant on the premises was very good...and pretty cheap. The rooms are a bit dark, but for around $35 per night they were more than sufficient. The hotel is right on the Ping river, which you have a view of from the restaurant. It was very quiet at night. The tour service in the hotel was very convenient and the prices fair. We hired a guide/driver- a 29 year old attractive lady named, please forgive my spelling: Zhao...or something that sounded like that. She spoke good english and was very pleasant to be around...and she took us to some great spots. The hotel is very close to the Night Market, which is also a good and cheap place to eat. Save your souvenier money though for the Sunday Market. Go to an Elephant training camp and take a Thai cooking course. We did a day with "A Lot of Thai"....the highlight of our trip. Check out their web site at: www.alotofthai.com. I did a lot of research to find the best cooking class and there is no doubt that this one is it. Our instructor, Yui, gives you a copy of her cookbook at the end of class and it's great. Chiang Mai, in my opinion, is a good place to get a feel for the Thai people...generous, gracious, and big-hearted. Spend some time there if you can. Bangkok is fun but when I think about Thailand in the years to come I'll be thinking of Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stevebo88
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I should have known better than to book this place - it was listed in the Lonely Planet, and so far I have never found a good hotel through them!

We paid $40 US per night without breakfast, which we initially thought was fairly good value, but after spending some time in Chiang Mai, realized we could do much better. We were able to find much nicer hotels with a lower rate that included breakfast. We were supposed to stay here for 5 nights, but checked out after 2.

The hotel itself was very cute, with a great quiet location by the river and just minutes from the Night Market. The staff were also very friendly. However, the rooms were very dark and depressing. We spent as little time in the room as possible, even when we were tired and wanted to relax. The bathroom was tiny and claustrophobic. There was a cute little cafe nearby called Coffee Bug with great food and was run by a very friendly and helpful couple. We spent a lot of time there so that we wouldn't have to be in our room! There is so much to do in Chiang Mai that you will hardly need to spend much time in your room anyway.

We checked out a lot of different hotels for our last 3 nights, and finally decided on Vanilla Place, which was just down the street. The staff were really nice, and we only paid $30 a night including breakfast and free ride to the airport!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Teenab79
Reviewed November 27, 2008

As most people who travel to Thailand know, saying "Friendly Thai" is redundant; these are the most warm and friendly people in the world. The people at Galare Guest House take this over the top. I got very ill in my visit to Chiang Mai and the people at Galare Guest House went way out of their way to help. I was put in the hospital for a few days and they did everything they could, including bringing me flowers and cards. This was also during the time of the 'revolt' in Bangkok when the airport was closed. The folks at Galare took care of getting me an emergency evacuation to the USA and handled all the arrangements and REFUSED extra payment.

As to the Galare itself; it is located on the river in a relatively quiet neighborhood; there is a near by disco, but it didn't bother me. It is close to the night bazaar and an easy walk into the 'Old City.' The Guest House is an old beautiful Thai building and the rooms very from very small (and inexpensive) to pretty big. There is a nice garden and a great restaurant where you can eat and charge to your room. some of the bigger rooms have direct Internet access for an extra charge, but for 50 baht/day you can have as much as you want on your own computer and they also have computers with Internet for 2 baht/minute. If you want the very small (and inexpensive room) or the large rooms with Internet access you need to request in advance as they book up very quickly.

Be aware that the Galare Guest House is pretty well known among travelers and tends to fill up all the time, so use their web site http://www.galare.com/ to book. With larger hotels in Thailand you save by booking through a travel agent like Expedia or Asia Rooms, but with Guest Houses you get the same rate. I think the Galare Guest House is as good as any hotel however.

The Galare Guest House has gone to the top of my list for sure.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank sbissell3
Reviewed November 12, 2008

We booked the Galare having seen it in Rough Guide and checked other reviews. It was down a small lane, backing onto the Ping River. It was quiet, rooms were large and clean. Bed was huge and very comfortable. The room was cleaned every day. Breakfast was not included but we ate brekkie there on the terrace overlooking the river. A good place to stay, for us, as it was quiet, but not too far to walk into the main part of town for food or drink. Owner helpful and we booked our mini bus to Pai through her. Would go back.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fsba20
Reviewed June 27, 2008

Stayed here for 3 nights. I hadn't been there for 7 or 8 years, but the staff remembered me. I love the open-air restaurant, right on the river. They've added a Japanese chef and a full menu of Japanese food, in addition to Western and Thai. The room was comfortable and spacious, and a bargain. There's no pressure to buy tours or other services, but the staff is happy to help if you need something. We rented a motorbike and booked a river trip through them.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends