“Great location great food!”
Review of Galare Guest House

Galare Guest House
Ranked #63 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Houston, Texas
“Great location great food!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Loved this place. Great location outside old city and on the Ping River. They have a restaurant that serves really good food too! Night market is within walking distance. I enjoyed walking most places, so this location was great. Also, they offer Thai Massage. They provide taxi, was a little concerned as I had no idea where they were taking me. Best decision I made. Taxi ride was not short, so glad I didnt try to walk. But really enjoyed first Thai Massage.

Room Tip: I preferred 2nd floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank leftturnrightturn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Feel lucky to have discovered this very comfortable place while in Chiang Mai. Initially we planned to stay 1 night then head to Pai but upon checking in we decided to stay another night and in the end stayed 4 nights. The guesthouse has a very cosy layout. The room was fairly big and very comfortable. Staff great. Restaurant also great and cheap. The location is ideal. Quiet setting on the river but close to town. We rented a scooter to get around which I think is best way to see Chiang Mai. Overall we were perfectly satisfied and would highly recommend the Galare Guest House!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank AdvisingDude
Seattle
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Galare is quite central to most everything in central Chiang Mai. Their rooms are nice, clean and air conditioned. The staff is very friendly and helpful. While we were there the wi-fi did not work in the rooms--only in the restaurant area. The restaurant offered an excellent breakfast choices, although the price was not included in the hotel charge. Actually this gave us more variety of choices for meals. We really like being only a block away from the night market. Shopping and eating were excellent there. We would definitely go back to this guesthouse.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tekaboat
Washington State
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The Galare Guest House is located on the Ping River and is just a 5 minute walk from the Night Market. It is small, clean, tucked away, quiet, and very reasonable. Most of the staff speak English and are helpful and friendly. A good restaurant is on site as well as a tour office and we were pleased with both. We met some people who purposely repeatedly stay here for a month at a time, and I wouldn't hesitate to come back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have been staying @ this guest house since I was a child. I have always loved it! I recently went back w/ my husband & we both had a wonderful stay. The staff is incredibly helpful & friendly (a lot of the same staff since I started staying there... so 20+ years). The rooms are very simple, but spacious & clean. The restaurant is is right on the river & very tasty. It's in a great location & pretty quiet considering it is only a short 5 minute walk to the Night Bazaar. I would definitely recommend this place to everyone! a lot of bang for your buck :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Morro Bay, CA
Reviewed January 31, 2013

As previous reviews have noted, this is a pretty good place. Staff is friendly, courteous and helpful. The rooms are fairly basic but adequate. Location is good, right next to the river, if that is important to you, and a five-minute walk to the night market. Nice to have a restaurant on site, even if it was slightly over-priced. However, I prebooked a five-day stay here because of the positive reviews and was somewhat sorry I did because of the constant noise of howling, barking dogs. The first night I was on the alley where the dogs live, and they fought, snarled and woofed nearly all night. I asked and was promptly given another room on the second floor away from the alley the next night. This was somewhat better, but not great. The alley dog noise was muted in my new location but other dogs that evidently live in the compound directly across from the Galare picked up the slack. I should mention that I'm an experienced traveler in SE Asia and understand some ambient noise from dogs or otherwise is par for the course. This noise was somewhat beyond that. If you're a sound sleeper it should not bother you. If not . . . there are other cheaper alternatives that are quieter. The only other criticism I have is the non-existent Wi-Fi in the rooms, which forced guests to use computers in the restaurant, where the Wi-Fi worked intermittently. I was told this was a temporary problem, so it may have been fixed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank stephen_maturin
Boston
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel is uniquely located on the bank of the Mae Ping River, very close to the famous night bazaar and fruit/flower market. It is very peaceful and relaxed, with a very nice garden. Staff were very friendly and ready to help. The rooms were clean, well-kept, beds were comfortable. A/C, WiFi, hot water, restaurant by the river. In the future, they could work a little on expanding the variety of breakfasts they offer, - even though we were quite happy with what was offered each morning. Our stay in and around ChiangMai would have never been as great as it was, had we not met an amazing English-speaking tour guide/driver, affiliated with this hotel. His name is Tom (Paitoon Panpeach). Immaculate service: very professional, positive, knowledgeable, flexible. Just explain clearly what you want and what you don't - and there will be no hard-selling.
I totally recommend this hotel and this guy - when you plan your trip to Chiang-Mai.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends