Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Symon Y
Penang Island, Malaysia

accommodation in Chiang Mai

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jan 9, 2013
After the hussle and bussle of town and trekking in the mountains, this guest house is an oasis.
Comfortable rooms - aircon, cheap as chips, quiet, and brilliant cool shady gardens. Staff very helpful and friendly.
There is no pool, or room service
Date of stay: January 2013
    $227
    $242
4.9 miles from Baan Kaew Guesthouse
View more hotels in Chiang Mai
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I only spent a night there because I wanted to check out the night market. The owners and the rest of the staff are really friendly and it's a bit further away from the tourist area than most other guest houses and hotels. The rooms are clean and they are all en suite with air con and a TV. There is a small garden where you can relax and sunbathe and each room has a little table and chair in front of it. However, it's a little expensive (800 Bahts) if you're travelling by yourself.

Room tip: Rooms are all the same (up to three beds).
Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Our all time favorite since many years when in Chiang Mai, conveniently located near the Night Market and not far away from the old City. Baan Kaew Guesthouse is situated opposite Wat Chai Mongkhon which has on its premises a pier where you can hire a boat to cruise the Ping River.

The location is very quiet and the court yard garden offers an oasis of rest in this bustling city. The rooms are basic and simple, but clean and offers satellite television, fridge, air-conditioning and hot shower. The rooms on the ground floor give out on an inviting patio. Nice place for having a chat and reading a book.

There is a small restaurant for breakfast and consuming drinks. Breakfast is not included in the room rate. The owner and staff are very friendly and helpful.

Baan Kaew Guesthouse offers rooms at an affordable price and is good value for your money.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I arrived at the hotel with my young caught in tow to discover they didn't have my reservation. Being the holidays, Most of Chiang Mai was sold out. I spent the next hour trying to find a room. I was really upset at their mistake, they did help me find a room though. I would not recommend going if you want a definite booking.

Date of stay: December 2011
2  Thank Marina2005
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I stayed at Baan Kaew with 2 girlfriends and we had a great time! Our total length of stay was 5 days in this guesthouse so we got to know the staff and some of the other patrons, which made our stay that much more enjoyable!
The rooms were clean, they are not anything fancy, however good value for the price and cleaned regularly.

I think what really made this stay special for me was the staff, we were greeted every morning at breakfast by the owners, who made us toast and coffee. The resident tour guide - Chai - is what made my trip so incredible! If he is around during your stay, you absolutely need to spend a day with this man! He will take you to great local spots to eat, local artisans etc. He is absolutely wonderful!

The location of this guesthouse is a little bit isolated, it's a long walk to the more central part of town, or a short cab / tuk tuk ride.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again, was very pleased with me experience.

Date of stay: January 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2011

First, this is not a terrible hotel. For 600 thb a night it is hard to be too critical. The rooms were 3 star clean and the staff were for the most part friendly.

For the bad, the location of this hotel is very isolated. If you are used to staying in Thailand and having plenty of 7-11s, restaurants, food carts and shops nearby, find a new place. It was probably a 15 minute walk to 7-11. Also, I came to the front desk around 11pm, the night desk clerk sleeps on a mattress outside inside a mosquito net. I tried to ask him where to find the 7 as I was out of smokes and he was very rude that I woke him up. Other than that, the people were average friendly by Thai standards.

Also, the Wifi was absolutely terrible. It was constantly on and off to the point where you could not even use it. I had work to do this trip so only stayed 2 nights after planning on staying 5. I I checked out and found a much better place.

In short, if you prefer a secluded, quiet location at a cheap price, and do not care about Wifi, then this place will satisfy. There are so many other options in Chiang Mai, however, I would not recommend it.

Date of stay: June 2011