“Busy and overcrowded temple” 3 of 5 stars

Wat Phra Singh
Book In Advance
$26*
and up
Private Tour: Chiang Mai Arts and Cultural Center with Trishaw Ride and Wat...
Ranked #8 of 233 things to do in Chiang Mai
More attraction details
Owner description: This temple was built in 1345 under King Phayu, the fifth king of the Mangrai dynasty.
Netherlands
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Busy and overcrowded temple”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I always feel temples should give of a vibe of serenity. This is exactly what I believe Wat Phra Singh is lacking, like many other temples inside the moat area of Chiang Mai. It's just too busy and overloaded with tourists walking about. Furthermore, yes, the architecture looks impressive. Although a tiny bit tacky, if you could use this word for a temple.

Visited February 2013

44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Maybe Skip This One...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

unless you have to see every wat in Chiang Mai. We were quite disappointed after having just visited Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, and nearby Wat Lok Molee and Wat Rajamontean Sripoom. All three of these are far more interesting from an architectural point of view. You of course have to go to Doi Suthep but when you're walking around Chiang Mai, make some time to visit the other two wats above (especially Wat Lok Molee).

Visited February 2013
1 Thank DrBonesSF
Singapore, Singapore
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great history”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I prefer to worship in smaller, quieter temple. Didn't go in main temple building.
Walk around compound to find few older buildings with great historical architecture. Top half of building is wood while bottom half is bricks. Inside of the building is impressive too with wax figure of famous monks. Very lifelike and frightened me initially when I see so many old monks staring at me while I enter.
There's also a figure of the King that founded and developed Chiang Mai

Visited January 2013
Kensington, Maryland
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Wat?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

It's a neat place with many vendors set-up so you can buy food and gifts. I found some neat art there. But it's a wat.... we're not religious people so it's pretty to look at and that's about it. The monks kind of creeped me out a little. It doesn't seem to be very strict on their rules for clothing while visiting. I accidentally wore a sleeveless top the day we went and no one asked me to cover up when I went in the buildings. I still felt uncomfortable though. It's only OK. You should totally visit one while you are in Thailand and I guess this one is OK....although I don't have anything else to compare it to since we only visited this one.

Visited December 2012
Nottingham
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“One of the best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

There ar a lot of wats in Chaing Mai but this is one of the prettiest (and most visited therefore). Try 7am for the place to yourself.

Visited January 2013