“Good for tours, not so good for non-tours” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Park Hotel

The Park Hotel
Ranked #86 of 361 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Toronto
“Good for tours, not so good for non-tours”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This hotel caters to large tour groups, and seems to handle them well. However, we were a small group of 3 (couple and adult son).
The good - the room was clean, comfortable and a reasonable size. Front desk staff were very friendly and recognized us each time we approached the desk for our keys. Breakfast buffet was reasonable and well stocked. Location is not too far from the night market, lots of tuk tuks always available to get you there and back. Lobby bar had simple food for a quick snack or meal.

The bad:
- I found the AC annoying - it didn't seem to stop cooling even if I set the temperature fairly high.
- To get access to the internet, you have to buy a voucher that gives you 3 hours. However, it is VERY easy to miss closing a window and not fully log out of their system, or have your computer or their wireless hub crash without logging you out, so you use up the full 3 hours unexpectedly. Happened to us several times during our stay. Serious nuisance. The vouchers are cheap, but it was a real pain. I'd prefer to just pay for unlimited access for 24 hours.
- Information desk was unable to suggest a local restaurant for us. I guess they are used to organized tours that either eat at the hotel or have made their own arrangements. Note, there was no concierge desk, just an information section
- We were annoyed on our second morning when we were woken at 6am by some tour operator checking rooms on our floor and being very noisy about it - slamming doors, etc.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank XineF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Thai first
Lake Macquarie, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Not far from the centre of town - could be walked if you are keen but a few minutes in a tuk tuk is always a fun way to get around. Buffet breakfast had all east/west dishes so a lot to choose from. Dinner was included in our stay - more then we could eat. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Room was clean,average in size and amenities, but all we needed. I would recommend this hotel as good value for money - great mid range option.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GianJohn
Sandbach, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

As the title says this is a half decent hotel, probably a complete average of what is available. Is the money you pay worth an average hotel though? I'm not sure.

A major drawback for this hotel is it's distance away from Chang Mia itself. It's too far to walk, which means a bus or tuck-tuck journey every time... Not ideal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Taupo, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

What luxurious rooms on the edge of the city, a cheap taxi ride from the city centre markets and temples! Breakfast was a feast of Eastern and Western styles. The staff were friendly and helpful even serving out of hours lunches when we arrived from a very late train. A gateway to a fascinating city - wish we had had more time here - but the wifi signal was poor. I gave up with it in the end and waited for the next hotel near Sukhotai. There was a good swimming pool on the roof which gave excellent views over the city, but the next door laundry was much better value for money than the in-house offering.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bushaby
Tadley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We enjoyed a couple of nights at this comfortable hotel whilst touring the Far East. The hotel had all the usual facilities including a roof top pool and free wifi but suffered a little from being outside of the city meaning that a tuk tuk or taxi was necessary to get anywhere. The staff were generally pretty good and were cheerful and helpful at all times. The prices in the bar were a bit on the high side, which given the out of town location meant a short walk to the nearby 7-11.

Room Tip: The ninth floor rooms are reportedly a bit better!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
La Jolla, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Hotel was nice and clean but a little dated. We only stayed 1 night the 7th of July.. Breakfast was nice and the servers were very nice. Unfortunately when we checked out on the 8th I put my phone in a luggage pocket that didn't zip closed. It apparently fell out when we left the room at about 7am. We had breakfast and caught the shuttle to the airport at 805a. After traveling all day we ended in Krabi and I noticed it wasn't in my phone wasn't in my carry bag. At about 9p after getting to the hotel and checking all my luggage I emailed the hotel. I still haven't gotten an email back. The next morning I asked the hotel in Krabi to call the Park. I was told my phone had been turned in to the desk, then was told they gave it to someone the morning of the 8th who would take it to me before the flight. I didn't even know my phone was missing at the time. The hotel had my email and my address but never thought to contact me. They asked the man to sign for my phone but he said he was in a hurry and just given my phone. The only people who knew we were there were the hotel staff. After speaking to a very nice but ultimately unhelpful woman, I was told there wasn't anything else they could do. I have yet to receive an apology written or spoken. There were a lot of photos that we couldn't upload the web, a lot of addresses and numbers I can't get back, but it's not the end of the world and hasn't tarnished my view of Thailand. If they sell it, I hope they do something good with the money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Albert S

Travelers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Ipoh, malysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed in park hotel from 1-8/6/2013. We had a very pleasant stay in the hotel. We were upgraded to a studio suite with superb views of doi Suthepmountain. The room was spacious and extremely clean. There was daily cleaning of the room with new towels changed every day.the service was exceptional and all the staff will go out of their way to accommodate our request. The buffet breakfast was adequate but it's the same food every day so after 1 week to be frank we were a bit tired of the same menu. The hotel has a clean and pleasant rooftop swimming pool with grand panoramic views of the city and the hills in the horizon. We booked the hotel thru an online website provider and for roughly 1000 baht per night with 2 buffet breakfast thrown in was very very good value. The only disadvantage was the location which was about 2 km to the night bazaar but since the hotel provides free shutttle to the night market every night this was quite ok. We noticed that most comparable hotels located closer to the night market will charge almost double the price. Overall for the price we paid I think this hotel provides a very high level of comfort and the service from the staff was exceptional. Without doubt I would recommend this hotel to anyone to stay without breaking the bank. Mr ng. Travelled with wife and son.

Room Tip: Choose a studio suite on a high level. They have more space and suitable for small families.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Club One Seven Chiang Mai
Club One Seven Chiang Mai
#100 of 361 in Chiang Mai
4.0 of 5 stars 177 reviews

Been to The Park Hotel? Share your experiences!