“Good Feeling Hotel”

Movenpick Suriwongse Hotel Chiang Mai
Ranked #38 of 395 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hotel renovation does not impact (no noise)other than entrance is not from a main street.Lobby is not grand but is more than adequate and has a nice understated style of a boutique hotel.Staff are excellent and you are warmly treated (and remembered) throughout your stay.Deluxe rooms are very big and comfortable and bathroom is well appointed.But suprisingly very little storage space...too much focus on style rather than practicalities of the travellers' needs.The hotel is well located.No swimming pool as yet and car park a little difficult to access

Room Tip: WIFI in some back rooms not reliable
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,382)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

On arrival room that we booked was not available, could upgrade at another 500bht, after an all night trip took the upgrade which made a mockery of the cheap price we booked at, if I could of cancelled (prepaid) easily we would of just walked out and gone elsewhere. Front office staff not that helpfull (except Chon who whilst still not being able to help an upgrade was very nice about it.) Only stayed 3 nights, apart from the initial upset everything else was fine.
Conclusion, we go to Chiang Mai 3 or 4 times a year , wont go back, at the price we paid there are better hotels, though the location was great.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hi we travelled to Chiang Mai ,Thailand in early June 2012 with our 4 children under 14yrs and we stayed at the newly renovated deluxe rooms which were of adequate size.with 2 single beds in each of our two rooms and an an extra bed .The hotel itself is simple but its location is fantastic just opposite the evening market and next to the Le Meridien ,within 10min of the international airport.
Their Reservation manager Ms Renu was very helpful in arranging our accommodation and transfers and put us in contact with and equally helpful tour agent, Ms Somjit who is onsite.
Their morning breakfast buffet is a simple but refreshing spread. At night there is a very affable band which plays music from the 60's and good for light relaxation.
The kids had a great time with the tour we took over the 3 days we stayed there.Food was always good and clean,the Thai people oh so... polite and trafiic actually stops for you to craos the road anywhere mind you .Its been our best family vacation in Asia easily and we hope to go again.PS Don't be shy to bargain and get yourself some tailor made clothers,dresses ,suits cheap and with good cutting.
The hotel was good,only downer was their bathrooms which were tiny felt like ?3'X 3'.
I highly recommend this place to budget conscious travelers .

Room Tip: Get the rooms that have been refurbished ,.The re isn't anything of aview but you need to expl...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I selected this hotel because it was recommended in the Lonely Planet as a top end hotel. What a surprise when we found that the hotel was under construction, very old and most of the public areas are ugly and unattended. The service is what I call acceptable but the key system is the old fashion style -a real key hanging in a piece of wood- that the hotel would charge a ridicule amount to replace it. All together the bed sheets were old, unclean, the rug on the floor VERY dirty and the walls full of humidity with mold presented. Chiang Mai it is worth it, and we'll visit this lovely place again, but defenetly we are not staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Vinai C, General Manager at Movenpick Suriwongse Hotel Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Maricel D,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the difficulties and inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us.

Even though we always strive to ensure our valued guests experience the best stay possible with us during their travels, unfortunately we fell short of our goals this time.

As a testament of our strive for perfection, we have instantly taken necessary steps to ensure that this will not happen again by reviewing our preventive maintenance program and staff couching.

We would also like to take this opportunity to inform you that after our renovations and rebranding to a Moevenpick Hotels and Resorts hotel in June, we are definite that you will see the improvement and enjoy your time with us during your next visit.

Our sincere apologies once again and look forward to the opportunity of being of service to you once again.

Best regards,

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Our stay was wonderful at the Suriwongse hotel.The staff were very friendly and helpful.The delux room was very spacious and comfortable with everything that we needed.Though its still under renovations this did not affect our holiday in any way.I loved the location right on the Bazaar markets which is a must do. Maybe a little vegemite on breakfast buffet wouldn't go astray for the Aussie .Over all we loved the hotel and would stay again.Value for money

Room Tip: Upgrade to delux room and if from Australia take your own vegemite.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed at Suriwongse Hotel Chiang Mai for 3 nights. I've booked the family suite and standard twin room for my family.

We had a wonderful experience there as all the staff from the hotel were helpful and friendly. Our pick-up was on time and the 10 mins ride to the hotel was delightful in the mini bus. Upon reaching, the staff had all the documents ready for me to proceed with check-in. I completed my check-in in less than 10mins. A staff from the hotel followed us to our rooms and clearly explained how the switches operated and numbers to call if we needed more help.

The beds and pillows were comfortable to sleep in. The rooms were nicely maintained and cleaned daily. We were given complimentary bottles of water each day. The rooms were sufficiently sound proof as we had good night sleep and noises could not be heard. I was surprise when the front desk told me the rooms were not newly renovated but were at least 5 year old. Definitely well maintained!

The hotel is conveniently located as the night bazaar was just outside on the main road. There were a few restaurant surrounding the hotel. Starbucks, McDonald's and Burger King are also available. Boots is also available about 5-10 mins walk away. Numerous massage places are around the hotel. No worries if you need a massage during the night.

Private taxis, tuk tuk and hotel vehicles are readily available outside the hotel if you need to travel abit further.

The breakfast provided by the hotel was good and they made the effort to keep the trays filled up. During my 3 nights of stay, I've noticed the hotel actually do have their selection of food changed. So no worries about having to eat the exact same thing everyday.

There is a tour desk available at the hotel lobby should you need to arrange for a day tour.

The only downside of my stay was that the pool was not available during my stay. We had to take the hotel transport to another location for the pool. The transport is only available from 10am - 4pm at 2 hour intervals.

Overall I had a wonderful experience with my stay at Suriwongse Hotel and will definitely stay there again should I visit Chiang Mai. Thumbs up to all the staff there!

Room Tip: There are rooms available just in front of the lift lobby. If you are very sensitive to noise, pleas...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We had 4 night-stay (2012 Sept: 9-13) at Suriwongse Hotel. The location is perfect , just in the night bazaar area. Breakfast is of good choices including local delicacies. We (me, my Mum and my sis) stayed in Deluxe Room, quite large and the bathroom is quite spacious too. Staff are friendly. The front office staff even lent their iPad to me to check my e-mails when I asked them where the business center was located. I did not bring my own iPad on this trip. We did enjoyed staying there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family