“Best hotel I've ever stayed in”
Review of Tamarind Village

Tamarind Village
Ranked #14 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
London, United Kingdom
“Best hotel I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I can't praise this gorgeous little gem of a hotel enough!! By far the most lovely place I have ever stayed. I was looking forward to staying there before I arrived based on previous reviews and photos and Tamarind Village managed to surpass even my expectations. Wonderful, friendly and polite staff, beautiful grounds and rustic-luxury decor in the rooms, convenient location and the most delicious breakfast selection I've ever had at a hotel. The sticky rice is a must-have and the sausages and bacon were delicious, as was the muesli. There was a really wide and delicious choice of juices and teas as well. The toiletries provided (jasmine body wash and lotion and ginger shampoo and conditioner) were of a good quality and smelled really nice, and I am fussy about my products! The shower was the most incredibly powerful shower I have experienced. Another nice touch that I really appreciated was the plentiful and free local fruit in our room every day, as they included rose apples, my absolute favourite :-). We were also given a voucher for a 10-minute welcome massage on arrival which was much appreciated - the decor of the spa was beautiful as well. The service was really excellent, e.g. staff spontaneously offering you insect repellent while having a drink by the pool in the evenings - I even really liked the bug spray they had as it was made from natural oils and seemed to work better than our toxic chemical deet. The staff also set out and lit candles all over the hotel every night which looks just stunning. They also do daily activities in the courtyard - I did the jamine flower garland making one afternoon and really enjoyed it. It's also worth mentioning that wifi is free across the hotel.

The hotel was only a short drive from the airport and right across the road is a little complex with a cafe, restaurants, a massage and beauty parlour etc. The hotel is also a good walking distance from a lot of attractions - we were lucky enough to be there on a Sunday when the walking street market takes place right on the door step, which is great fun to explore, and we had the cheapest most delicious food that night at the market. A tip I have is to visit Mundo Tours just round the corner from the hotel to help organise any tours or exursions you want. They also offer a killer sports massage! Kid our tour guide, together with our lovely hotel, both absolutely made our trip to Chiang Mai

Everything at Tamarind Village was perfect and I can't begin to understand the small handful of people who had anything but positive comments to make on this hotel - if you are visiting Chiang Mai this is a no-brainer. Stay there! You will not be disappointed.

I did notice another reviewer mention that they were unhappy with the help they were given with their airline online check in at reception - it could be that these comments have already been taken on board as when we asked for help with our online check in and they were very helpful and did it for us on their own computers.

1 Thank Erika M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here in December 2012 on our first trip to Thailand, after a couple days in Bangkok. This is a lovely hotel in a great location. Walking distance to everything. The hotel is walled off and feels like you are escaping from the city around you, even though you are only a few steps away. The rooms are small and the swinging doors into the bathroom don't provide much in the way of privacy. The pool area is beautiful.

The breakfast buffet was lovely, served in the restaurant poolside. It offered a nice variety of choices and the staff was very accomodating and helpful.

We love to walk, so this was a perfect location. There were lots of massage options and restaurants nearby. It was a bit of a walk to the night market, but well worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
France
Reviewed March 13, 2013

On the very positive side this is a very well situated and tranquil hotel supported by charming young staff and an extremely comprehensive breakfast buffet catering for all tastes. Sadly, I feel the young front of house staff are, it seems to me, lacking support from any obvious senior presence if difficulties arise.

I asked if the front desk could do my airline check-in for me and I was requested to do it myself on a laptop at the side. The laptop was not connected to the printer and the airline concerned did not email our boarding cards to the hotel address. It was suggested that I go to an Internet cafe to sort it out. After being firm and a lot of staff running around they managed to print my boarding cards. This is perhaps a stupid point but never before in any hotel have I been told to sort this sort of thing myself and been provided with inadequate tools.

We undertook a couple of their excursions which are not cheap by anyone's standards yet ours were poorly organised and there was a misunderstanding of the time needed to do the tours, both over and under estimates. This was compounded by our delightful conscientious driver not really understanding what was required and having only very limited English. I recommend a better avenue, and cheaper, would be to hire a taxi and driver for the day because it seems that most of them and the Tut-Tut drivers know more.

If you can, avoid rooms by the reception area because it is very noisy and our room, on the ground floor, offered us the bonus of entertainment from everyone elses's plumbing above! In my view there is a difference between rustic and tired. Our room was particularly shabby and would benefit from painting if not complete overhaul (mould on the curtains!) and that was my impression really of the whole. I think that Tamarind could and should do better without vaste expense to provide better value for money.

Sorry, bit of a dismal revue but I repeat the good which is location, tranquility, lovely staff and great breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid close to reception.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We have just returned from our first visit to Thailand and spent our last four nights in this hotel. It is in a great location in the middle of the old town but when you lie by the pool you could be miles from anywhere. We were welcomed by smiling staff with cold towels and iced tea which were bith very welcome. The hotel has only two floors and is lovely. Our room was on the first floor with a nice bedroom, lovely bathroom and excellent airconditioning. There is one restaurant and a bar. My wife likes Thai food for breakfast but I prefer something a little more traditional in the morning. We were both very satisfied as the buffet breakfast was huge and had Thai, british and continental items - a good start to the day. We also had an evening meal at the restaurant which was superb if very rich compared to more usual thai food. We would stay here again anytime. Make sure you take mosquito sprays as there are lots of them around but the hotel even supplied a plug-in repellant in our room.

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We saw the Tamarind Village while driving by and went back because it looked like a lovely place. The interior design and architecture are beautifully done, a combination of contemporary and older Thai pieces with lots of beautiful textiles. Dinner was excellent out by the pool, with live soft American jazz in the background. It's a magic place! If you aren't able to stay here, at least visit for a meal.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at the Tamarind Village for three nights in February 2013. Unfortunately the taxi driver from the airport dropped us off at the side entrance which is no where near as impressive as the main entrance so our first impression was not great. However after we were shown to our room it all changed. The hotel is small however our room was well proportioned. There was a large comfortable bed and the bathroom was spacious with a strong shower. The entire room was well furnished and we were provided with dressing gowns and flip flops. We only had breakfast at the hotel but there was plenty of choice and the food was of good quality. The hotel is well located but away from the busier areas. There were plenty of restuarants and bars nearby however the main area was about a 30 minute walk away.

We had come from a two night stay in Bangkok and were certainly pleased to get out of the hussle and bussle of the city. Chiang Mai is much quieter and there are not so many people selling food on the street. However the restaurants and bars did seem to close quite early and there was not a bar at the hotel in which to sit late at night. We therefore found that by about 10/11pm there was not much to do. We did however go to a restaurant called Sahara on the Nimmanhaemin Road. It was a tuk tuk ride away from the hotel which took about 10 minutes. It appeared to be on a busy road and although we did not venture further than the restaurant there certainly appeared to be more bars and restaurants open late.

There is plenty to do in and around Chiang Mai to keep you occupied during the day. There are lots of tour offers available.

All in all a good stay in Chiang Mai and the Tamarind Village. If you were thinking of staying in this area I would recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Gemmaprice88
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Great hotel, brilliant location, lovely staff, super pool and fair prices for food and drinks, contrary to some other reviews. We had a Tamarind Suite which was a decent size and beautifully funished.
Quality of lunch we had wasn't great with the exception of some amazing braised pork ribs, but probaly subjective.
Loved wandering round and enjoyed restaurants inside the walls more than outside.

Room Tip: Suit 2402 was really well thoughtout and quite