“Wonderful Place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 373 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Austin, Texas
“Wonderful Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Really wonderful hotel in the perfect location. Inside the moat area in the "old" part of the city it is just blocks away to the wall. It is like driving into an oasis when you enter the bamboo lined driveway. The hotel itself is beautifully appointed with lovely, charming staff. Breakfast is included and the buffet is great, plus an omelette station with pancakes. We did not eat dinner at the hotel as there were too many other wonderful spots to try. I would recommend this hotel to anyone without hesitation.

Room Tip: Sunday there is a wonderful market right outside the hotel. You can enjoy browsing all the fun stal...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

It is dreamy. Being very well located one feels that you are in the middle of the mountain. It is very nice decorated, the people are nice, the food is great. I just love the place in general, it is very calm and serene. It is just perfect.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I've thought about this review a lot because I have mixed emotions about our stay which are polarized. Some aspects of Tamarind Village we really loved, some not so. Nothing about Tamarind Village is "average" but the rating is a combination of the experience we had.

My family of four stayed here between Christmas and New Year's, 2012, during the recent high tourist season (a room for my wife and I and a room for our teen and pre-teen daughters). We chose to stay at Tamarind Village upon the recommendation of a friend.

It is a very pretty place, surrounded by mature trees and manicured landscaping. Entering the grounds, you get a "wow!" first impression. The rooms are well-appointed with comfortable beds, clean bathrooms and tv with channels from different countries (in English, I noticed HBO and another I cannot recall). The resort appeared to be very clean. The location is also very nice, in the old part of the city, about 3 blocks from Tha Phae Gate. There is a very nice, brand new, folk arts museum a couple of blocks away, on an adjacent street.

When we were there, the place was teeming with families with children ranging in age from toddlers to teens. Lots and lots of children.

The desk, bell and maintenance staff appear to be well trained to be respectful. All of the desk staff and many other staff were completely conversant in English. The restaurant staff is excellent - top notch!

We only ate in the restaurant during breakfast, which was complimentary. The buffet offering was plentiful, fresh and very tasty, offering local fruits, rice dishes, noodle dishes, fresh meats and cheeses, yoghurt, grains, dried fruit and eggs made to order. Numerous juices were available, as was coffee, tea and lattes. The morning breakfast was a definite highlight.

There also appeared to be a security guard posted at the front entrance, which was comforting to see.

That said, there are a few things that to note that just didn't seem practical. I've been wondering about why these items bothered me and, having the time to really think about it, I've realized that I think these examples are probably representative of a clash between my expectations and what Tamarind Village may be set up to deliver. Tamarind Village appears to be developed to correspond to someone's view of an oasis (tranquil, beautiful, respectful) but was missing the aspect of customer service that I highly value - the ability to recognize and address the needs of the clientele.

* Adjacent Rooms: When we first made our reservations (in May, for a December visit), we asked all of the hotels we were booking to place us in either adjoining rooms or rooms that are nearby, so that we were near our young daughters. This was important to us after hearing horror stories about lost children. This was the only hotel that could not make that accommodation. I appreciate that we were traveling at high season, but one would hope that with seven months' prior notice to plan for a reservation paid 100% in advance, something could have been arranged. Instead, we were told what the different types of rooms were, but were then advised that we could not have a suite to house all four of us, as the limit (unless your child was under 10 and ours was 11) was three per room. Upon arrival, when I was informed that our rooms were to be across the courtyard and on different floors, I asked again for rooms that were closer together and was told that my options were the two rooms that I was given or two rooms or another room that was further away, because the hotel was fully booked during the high season.

* Swimming pool: The pool is absolutely lovely but the water temperature was very cold. Very cold. While we did not keep review it that closely, we rarely saw a person using the pool (and no more than 2-3 at a time). I recognize that it was winter time in Chiang Mai, but the 80 degree (28 celsius?) air temperature was still hot enough to potentially enjoy a swim.

* Wifi: There was free, secure wifi, but the code had to be reentered every few minutes. I note this because this was different from my experience in any of the three other places we stayed during our vacation, where the wifi code did not need to be reentered even once. Some places we stayed had one wifi code for all devices, one other place had different wifi codes for different devices (as Tamarind Village does). No other place we stayed required the code to be set more than once, and at Tamarind Village it needed to be reset regularly. This was an issue for me because I needed to access the internet for travel research but had to constantly remind myself to check if the wifi was on to ensure that I wasn't going to get hit with roaming/data charges.

* Bathroom - at least in our room, the doors to the bathroom were two swing doors which have an opening at the bottom and at the top (I don't see this type of door very often, but immediately think of movies about the old west and people entering saloons through these types of doors). The bathroom is partitioned into three sections, for a toilet, a sink and a standing shower. The shower has a door on it. The other parts do not have doors, which resulted in a more open atmosphere than what we were accustomed. This was particularly uncomfortable when our children visited our room.

* One key per room: There is a one key per room policy. While not the end of the world, it made it a little cumbersome in coming and going.

Finally, there is the subject of cost, which seems to be excessive for various aspects associated with the hotel. We booked a day trip to Lampang through the hotel, which resulted in a 2900 baht charge. We met others on our day trip to Lampang who traveled from a similar location and were charged 1600 baht for the same type of van. Another example was the hotel charge for trips to either the airport or the train which, I believe, the listed hotel quote was approximately 300 baht, with a limit of three people per vehicle. We secured the services of a taxi directly outside of the hotel entrance that took all four of us in an SUV (not a tuk tuk or a covered pickup truck) for 200 baht. We also took a taxi coming from the airport to the hotel for 100 baht.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I did not shop around for hotels in Chiang Mai because this was recommended to me by a friend. Had I done so, I would have noticed that there are other very nice hotels that are available at a fraction of the price that I paid. I have no doubt that one could find a more expensive place in Chiang Mai to stay, but the cost of Tamarind Village is probably among the top 2% and probably two to three times the cost of other reasonable hotels in the area.

Bottom line, if money is not an issue and you are primarily looking for a beautiful place to sleep, with a wonderful breakfast, this could be a very good option. The service is both respectful and friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank chg411
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

The setting is certianly beautiful - make sure you get a seat next to the pool rather than inside where the whole atmospere will be lost. The food was interesting but not great tasting. The service was nothing special though and given how expensive it was in comparison to other restaurants in Chiang Mai, I can't rate it too highly.

Room Tip: Get a table by the pool
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We got tired from the walking street sunday market and saw this peaceful alley...took it and were amazed at the quiet and lovely resort we found. The restaurant was full but we waited on comfortable chairs by the swimming pool, sipping a cocktail, till it was our turn to enjoy the delightful Lanna cuisine. It's quite spicy but that only makes the variety of textures and savours more acute and enjoyable. I warmly recommend this venue as one of the most exquisite in an already exquisite city of Chiang Mai which counts so many fine and enjoyable places. Price is a bit on the high side, but that's only in comparison to Thai standards, certainly not by the gastronomic quality which deserves a real praise. I only used the restaurant and thus cannot really comment on the hotel but I'd love to stay there on another occasion! It's in the same line as the marvelous Ratchamanka hotel. Great places!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DRM55
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here in May 2012, and had a lovely time. The staff was very helpful and arranged taxis and transportation to the temple and airport without hesitation. We found the food to be wonderful, and especially enjoyed lingered over lattes at breakfast (they offer coffee and tea, but will happily make an espresso drink for you if you prefer, no extra fee!). The pool was small but tranquil, and the overall feel of the hotel was serene. We loved being right in the heart of the old city and especially liked staying for the Sunday night market, where we found some great art. The rooms were small, but definitely adequate, especially as we were able to get the hotel for about $100 a night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

When we arrived we found Agoda had not given the management our reservation and they were fully booked. Despite this they truly went out of there way to accommodate us and in the end we received a room upgrade and a free massage. The location is great and the rooms clean and adequate. The internet connection was not reliable and the breakfast very good. It is not The Four Seasons but quite nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple