“Nice Hotel - terrible restaurant”
Review of Roseate Hotel

Roseate Hotel
Ranked #91 of 395 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here for the last 5 nights. Our room was very nice, clean, well appointed. We were in the back building which was quiet. I don't know if the front building is noisier. The staff spoke little English - not many people in Chiang Mai speak English but they are gracious to try - we are in their country after all.

The mattress was heavenly! Felt like memory foam.

Wifi was very slooow. I was trying to blog with pictures so perhaps not so slow with lighter use. I had to leave 20 pictures to upload during the night while I was sleeping. Each was taking about 5 minutes.

The one drawback for us was that the hotel restaurant was terrible and there were not many other options in the area.

The included breakfast had white or light tan bread you could toast very lightly with butter and marmalade or strawberry jelly. Corn flakes or something like cocoa pops with milk. Wattery orange juice. Pancakes or french toast, etc and some Thai dishes.

We ate there one evening and were the only ones dining there. When we entered no one approached us and finally it seemed they had waited to find someone who spoke a little English.
Menu was in English. I opted for a sandwich was so so.

If you like Thai food for breakfast there were a number of selections and I can't speak for them. Read other reviews.

So I would give the hotel a very good grade but suggest you eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jroihl

Reviewed October 11, 2013

During 16-19/06/13 I have chanced to stay in this hotel the location was very good it located in Chang Mai moat and it very easy to get to somewhere else (Chaingmai city center) new hotel, clean,security and hotel staff were very friend especially Ms.Nan, Ms.Pin, Ms.Cat receptionist and Mr.Sao limousine, they threat me very professionally throughout my stay if you have chance to visit Chaingmai I recommend this hotel for you to stay in Chaingmai.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Nek1313
Reviewed September 28, 2013

PRO's: Very clean, spacious & new rooms. Comfortable beds. Breakfast buffet is fine (for a couple of days). Free internet in the room. Location around 5-10 min walking from the sunday walking street & main city center attractions. Staff is helpfull. We got free transportation to the airport.

CON's: Owner very pushy to sell trips, even when tired from traveling & before you entered your room. Airconditioning blows directly on the bed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2013

On arriving at this hotel we thought that it looked very nice and then the problems started. The girls at reception really could not speak or understand English. We were shown to our rooms on the 3rd floor at the start of the corridor and when the door was opened there was a funny smell inside. A lot of the amenities that should of been in our room were missing and had to be asked for. Trying to sleep at night was hard as we had people coming and going at all times past our door to and from the landing outside which was wood so all sounds echoed into our room. Doors were warped so they had to be banged to close. Breakfast was the same every morning BORING. The young girl on the travel desk was the only that was really helpful. All in all we booked for 9 nights, lasted 4.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Judy9s
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Roseate is a nice hotel with clean rooms, big bathrooms. There is also a travel agency in the hotel which makes it very easy for the visitors... The breakfast is average. There is free wifi and the coverage is good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ozlem-burak
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I currently live and work in Phuket (also in hotels) and was looking to make a trip up to Chiang Mai for 4 nights for some relaxation. Every cheaper priced property I came across on various internet sites seemed to look very old and musty however I came across Roseate hotel and it seemed to tick all the right boxes.

The hotel Manager emailed me to confirm the booking, I also asked if there was a free shuttle (as a previous reviewer had mentioned it) and she duly said that the driver would wait with my name board in the arrival lounge. Upon arriving at the airport the driver was knowwhere to be seen however a quick phone call to the hotel and the driver appeared within 10 minutes.

Upon arriving at the hotel, everything looked nice and clean. As another reviewer mentioned the staff try really hard to help you but the level of English is not great. Check in was quick (no pre-authorisation was required) and I was escorted up to the room with the bellman taking my suitcase. It was great that I was able to checkin before the usual 2pm checkin time! The hotel is split over 3 floors however there is an elevator.

The room was really nice, reasonably large and bright and also looked nice and new. They have an electronic keycard opening system which is seemingly becoming the norm these days. Bed was very comfortable and the shower was hot and powerful, there was a laptop size safe and flatscreen TV will many channels (I didnt notice many English ones). The AC was nice and cold, there was a mini bar in the room (albeit rather expensive for the type of hotel!) as well as free tea and coffee.. I noticed that there was no free bottled water which most hotels now offer. They also had free shampoo and shower gel dispensers in the bathroom incase you forget to bring your own.

One strange thing I noticed was that the rooms have a small balcony area, although small and not much of a view they are simply walled off with a window... perhaps there is a law which does not allow them to use the balconies if not then I would place a door to the balcony and a small table and chairs.. I am sure most people would pay slightly more money to have a balcony.

There is free wifi which is great, it worked intermittently the first day but then worked fine thereafter.

You cannot expect miracles for the price you pay and I am probably being overly picky but I found the breakfast a little limited. There was a selection of Asian breakfast items (rice, etc) as well as toast, fried egg, frankfurter type sausages, ham (the ham and sausages were kept in water which was a little odd) and also pancakes as well as the usual tea and coffee, one or two cerials and some fresh fruit... Adequate but nothing special.. I read about a place in Chiang Mai that offered over 40 different nationality breakfasts!

They did have a small bar area in the reception as well as an outdoor terrace upstairs but there was not atmosphere in either of these places so they were not busy at all, which is a shame as I'm sure they could get considerable business from these areas.

If your looking to book tours I recommend the young Thai lady on the tour desk in the reception area. I cannot recall her name but she was very helpful and I booked a few trips via her for a good price.

The location is ok, perhaps it is not the best situated... the night bazaar area is walkable in around 15-20 minutes, Nimmanhaemin road can be reached by Tuk Tuk in 5-10 minutes... but you do need to constantly use tuk tuks or the red vans to get around unless you like to walk in the heat!

On my last day they kindly stored my luggage and as I went on a day tour, when I came back I enquired about the price of the shuttle to the airport and they informed me it would cost 150Thb... the reviewer below stated that it was free but anyway I happily jumped in a passing tuk tuk and off to the airport I went.

Great hotel for the money, I am sure I will return again!

PS, as it is a new property a lot of taxi drivers do not know where the hotel is... I recommend printing/saving the map (from their website) to show to the drivers!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Xaviar84
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed there for 3 nights.

We were picked up from the airport and driven back there free of charge, which is really great (especially considering the not-expensive price you pay for the room).

The girls in the reception were nice, although their English level was surprisingly basic. We were kindly helped with the luggage.

The room itself was very good, nothing short of strict western standard. The hotel is brand new, and you can really see and feel it.

Breakfast had a wide buffet choice, which included both western and Thai dishes. We were really satisfied from it, for sure until late noon.

The hotel is not in the "heart of the city", but on the other hand it is not far from the Sunday Market, Night Market and a shopping mall (Kad Suan Kaew). We never had to take a taxi/tuk-tuk/other transportation.

All in all, a really recommended place - not a bad word to say about it at all.

Room Tip: We don't know how noisy are the front rooms, but we had a back room - and it was totally quiet.