“the family I left behind in Chiang Mai”
Review of The Living Place

The Living Place
Ranked #86 of 788 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Ok. so here's the deal. It's a basic hostel and a place to stay. Air Conditioning, optional. What I didn't expect was how accomodating the hosts were. Aree and V are the couple who run the place, who create some awesome artwork, music, friday dinners, and conduct the nightly yoga sessions. They made sure my stay in Chiang Mai was completely facilitated, and they're always up for good times in town at night (Muay Thai Boxing fight matches, Lady Boy cabarets, etc.). They seem to put up with my antics well and I've learned to love them like family in only a few days. You can't get any better than this, no matter where you stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MarknKirby

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Aree is one of the kindest most genuine hosts I have ever come across! She invites you out in the evenings (mostly free of charge) introduces you to everyone, chats to you and takes a genuine interest. She is also brilliant as a city guide (not to come out with you, as she is normally run off her feet!) but she will make sure you know where you're going, with her help I found, Buddhist festivals, cheap hotel pools for a swim on a hot day, nightclubs, great restaurants, sights and lots of new friends to boot, Jessica and I met here (review below) had some fun nights at local bars as well as some fun days wandering Through the city, with a big group who all met here. The hosts never tried to sell me anything, so the average review here really surprises me! In fact she actually gave me a dress of hers as I had told her she looked really good in it the day before, I will treasure it as it comes with such a lovely story. I did not get to know V, her husband as well, he was away visiting family when I was there, but I heard great things about him.
Also he is a brilliant artist, having his art everywhere only adds to the feel of fun and relaxation.

If you are an open happy person, you will love this place, it attracts like minded people and everyone extends their stay.

Thank you for making me fall in love with Chiang Mai! X

1  Thank Emma-Jane W
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Aree and V are so welcoming when you arrive, introducing you to everyone already staying at the hostel and also getting to know you during your stay. They do offer tours etc. but if that's not your thing (like me) you don't have to book anything! Very helpful on advice on getting buses etc to certain places around chiang mai, and the prices of things. The rooms are small but don't feel cramped with 6 bunk beds and fellow backpackers in and they get cleaned everyday so clean. The downstairs communal area is great for meeting new people and every friday evening Aree cooks a thai meal for everyone staying then takes you to the night bazaar. My trip wouldn't have been the same if i hadn't have stayed here, so i recommend it if you want to get the most out of Chiang mai!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

If you stay at only one place in Chiang Mai, this is the place to go.

Very clean, Aree and V (the owners) will bend over backwards to help you, they even provide a free dinner to the entire hostel every Friday.

Great atmosphere, really helps you meet people. The dorms are great, the private rooms are great, the only thing I didn't get to try is the tent, but it looked like fun.

Very centrally located, equidistant between the night market and old town.

For breakfast, head right from the front door, there's a little cafe less than a minute down the street.

This is one of the nicest places I stayed in Thailand! Would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Aree and Vee are very welcoming and nice, but if you are like us and have your own trips planned, and do not like tour groups and classes, then this is not the place to stay. The private room is not comfortable; there's no bed, just a mattress on the floor. No A/C or window to the outside (just slits to the outside room). It gets very very hot. The pillows felt like leather filled with beads. They kept asking to book tours for us or plan our days, and kept introducing us to other people. It was very kind, but I guess we're used to doing things on our own (we've been traveling for a long time), and you are paying for their kindness rather than the quality of the stay. This is an excellent place for the solo traveler. They have communal dinners, and make sure everyone knows each other's name. The common lounge is large and decorated with art. But we found hotels nearby for exactly the same price with big, soft beds and balconies.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AliceOh
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have nothing but praise for The Living Place and Aree. The layout of the hostel is great, they really make the most of the sleeping space, without making it cramped. Downstairs is an open plan social area which is the most successful I've ever stayed in. Aree really did make our visit to Chiang Mai, I cannot imagine what it would have been like without her - from starting our evenings with a bang to organising a personalised itinerary for us. We would have stayed for longer than a weekend if we didn't have to get back to work!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

This place is amazing, its as simple as that.

Aree and Vee the owners make this place incredibly special.

I was only meant to stay for a day but stayed for near enough two weeks!!!

Ideal location, great backpackers who stay there. Just a friendly lovely homely hostel!