“The best French restaurant in Northern Thailand”

le bistrot de chang mai
Ranked #17 of 2,072 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: French cooking
Brussels, Belgium
“The best French restaurant in Northern Thailand”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Patrick's delicious restaurant is one of those places where you are transported in France while being in Thailand. The quality of the products are amazing - most of them organic. The service is perfect and the prices are very reasonable given the quality of the dishes. He will not prepare any dish if he does not have the best quality ingredients. A must visit restaurant for any Francophile and French food lover. You will never be disappointed here.

• Visited May 2014

• Thai first
Chiang Rai, Thailand
“What a find!”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I have lived in Thailand 17 years now, but am still a much bigger fan of French food than Thai food, so I seek out places like this. The other positive reviews brought me here. I am VERY happy that they did. Nobody can run a bistro like Patrick. He is both excellent at and passionate about what he cooks and serves at his restaurant. Menu is in French, but you can find it in English online. That is what I use when I order from Patrick and stuff my freezer. I can only drive there so often, so much easier to eat his excellent food at home. His lasagna is my favorite.
The food, the chef, the ambiance all get 5 stars.........the staff, 4.5 which is very good for Thailand.

Hereford, United Kingdom
“The real McCoy”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I have eaten here four times now. It's a very French experience. Le Patron, Patrick, is very welcoming and the service very good.
The menu is in French which adds to the authenticity. Do those farangs who complain about this also complain in Thai restaurants if the menu is only in Thai? I don't understand a lot of the menu but that's OK and preferable. My lack of understanding is my own failing.

The helpings are big so only order one dish at a time! Doggy bags are at hand if you can't eat it all. I was able to make great sandwiches later from the remains of my excellent charcuterie.
I tried both tripe dishes and they were very authentic and delicious.

Excellent house wine and inexpensive in comparison with other French restaurants in the city.

The cassoulet was delicious ,too, but very filling for my small stomach!

I really recommend here but only for those who understand or wish to understand French food. Others should not complain if they expect English, American or other and go somewhere else so that the rest of us can enjoy!!

Mae Sai, Thailand
“My at home everyday Restaurant”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Living now in Thailand for over 22 years but 300 km away from Chiangmai.The owner is a food passionate and he knows his job.Believe it or not but i am doing the trip go and back 1 time per month just to full my freezer.I am everyday at home eating some dishes of this restaurant and i just love it.I did advise a friend of mine about this place and he just order by phone to see his meals arrive frozen at his home 400km away.What else to say ???

Bangkok, Thailand
“where not going back”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I went there after to read some good review of french customers. But the foods are not good. Potatoes very fat, meat and beans in the cassoulet sour... .The mixed "charcuterie" vas very, very salty. The house wine terrific, impossible to drink that. Not a french atmosphere bistrot, what's over besides the local French speakers around the bar. In this place the service missed the mark on so many basics.
We will not go back any more.

Visited April 2014