“Absolute drivel !!! Save your £$€” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #77 of 247 things to do in Chiang Mai
Dundee
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Absolute drivel !!! Save your £$€”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Usually I'm positive with my reviews but this was simply a 'rip off' 400 baht to get in- some stupid comedy (of the unfunny variety- a primary school could have put on a better show ) - then pressurising you TWICE for an extra 20 baht.

Honestly you would have more entertainment sitting in your hotel bathroom repeatedly watching the toilet flush!

As others have said didn't get started with matches (I won't use the word 'competitive') until about 10pm. Five badly acted fixed fights. Main bought not much better and the international fight was a Kiwi guy fighting a Thai boy and he had a foot height and 50lbs on him yet that too was an excuse of a contest- 5 round bore-a-thon.

Do I feel better now? Slightly!!

Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Rigged or not, still fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

Paid 400 baht for the normal seats and left very entertained - saw 5 real fights, one of which was a girl fight, and two of which really had my attention. Definitely very real contact in these fights in my opinion.. bloody eyebrow, a huge knot on one of the fighter's shins, and a KO requiring the medics to carry off the fighter. The blind fight was total nonsense.

As for the negative comments regarding the latency in beginning, asking for a $2 donation, "free" drinks that turn out to have a caveat, putting your foot down to keep your seat, and lack of English.... sorry, but that's a large (and unfortunately growing) aspect of SE Asia. Just have to take it in stride and realize it's nothing personal towards you.

Knowing these things, I think it's a great activity to do while in Chiang Mai... especially if you are looking to escape the crowds getting plastered.

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“The only place where the fights are 100% real in town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

There are at least 4 different "stadiums" in Chiang Mai, and I have been in three of them.

Unfortunately Thapae was the last otherwise I would come just here and not to the others because of the levels of the fights. Here are real but more just performance at the others.

The tickets are 400 thb (standard but seats from the third raw behind) and 600 thb (ringside first and second raw) which prices are much cheaper than in Bangkok.

There are fights every night except Sundays and they do 7 main fights which takes about 2 hours. I have seen many KO-s as well, I can say that every second fight ends by knock out and not by pointing. There is a thai band playing the original Muay Thai music during the fights.

Good attraction, highly recommended!

P.s.: Next to the toilet there is a small thai restaurant with super cheap and very tasty "street-style" thai food if you are getting hungry during the show.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank The_Dude_TH
Vancouver, Canada
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Good chance to see some Thai boxing at a good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

My wife and I came here to watch some Thai boxing and had a pretty good time. I would agree that you don't need to purchase VIP tickets. We purchased tickets for 350 baht a piece, from a place in the day time. Otherwise they advertise for 400 elsewhere. I'm sure you can get them even cheaper if you just show up at the start, since there are fights almost every night. There were 7 fights, not including the "special fights", which is 4 blind folded boxers slapping each other around. It was actually pretty hilarious. Overall, we had a good time there.

1 Thank Brady N
Adelaide, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Total Tourist Trap”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Wife and I were excited to see "authentic" "International" Muay Thai at Tha Pae Stadium. But we left the night with a pretty bad taste in our mouths.

- We bought tickets in the afternoon. Entering the stadium, the staff member at the front desk spoke no English. Interesting choice considering this place is patroned by 90%+ Western tourists. Staff inside spoke very minimal English. We could only get through the transaction because an International fighter from England just happened to be there and explained the ropes.

- We were told to be there at 9pm many times quite intensely, figuring they like a prompt start. We got there about 8:30pm to chill, but waited until 9:45pm for anything to happen.

- A staff member showed us the drinks list for the "free drink on arrival". We ordered drinks and he then asked us to pay for them, turns out whisky cola is the only free drink. He could have explained that...

- For the hour we spent waiting for something to happen, we were treated to a 3 minute track of Javanese Clarinet music being played over and over again. Now that we hated the clarinet, a guy walked into the ring to play the same music live for another 10 minutes.

- While we were waiting in the seats we reserved, a staff member approached me and told me to shift one seat over so a group of four could sit up the front. He wanted me to sit right in front of a pole blocking the view of the center of the ring. I had to argue with him for a good 30 seconds for him to accept we weren't moving.

- The fights are obviously fixed (presumably for whichever result profits the house) and they are terrible at hiding it. A few fighters barely threw a punch. Many KOs looked like soccer players diving to try and get a tripping penalty.

- After the "special fight" (blind boxing, which was also heavily choreographed) a couple of fighters put on their best grass roots face and freaking passed a hat around to raise money "for the stadium". After paying 400THB each for entry, 60THB for a small glass of cheap apple juice and a bunch of bookies collecting bets, we were shocked that this place would pretend it would need to "fundraise". We tried to ignore the two guys but they stood staring at me for literally a minute. A "donation" of 20THB was compulsory! I didn't want to get thrown out so I coughed it up. After frowning at me for asking questions about what they were collecting for, they suddenly burst into a smile, bows and wai's as soon as they saw the money. Wow... really feeling the respect and gratitude.

- The "main event" fighters advertised on the banner (which was the reason we went that night) was different to the actual fighters who fought the main event.

On the plus side, there were a couple of good fights. But this place is just a total tourist trap run with a very "carnie" attitude that preys on the ignorance of Westerners.

4 Thank Jack S