“Fabulous value for the price”
Review of Rustic Guesthouse

Rustic Guesthouse
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Rustic Guesthouse was a perfect choice for accommodation while we were in Chiang Mai. It is in a quiet yet great location. The beds were comfortable and large and the bathrooms were very clean. The young ladies that were at the front desk area were wonderful at suggesting restaurants and things to do. We would definitely stay here again. The only con... if you can call it that... If you have a hard time getting around, the rooms are only accessible by going up quite a few stairs. We had NO problem with this at all, and actually invite the extra bit of exercise into our lives, but if you have a hard time with this you may want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nick J, Manager at Rustic Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Lovely guesthouse, we had a great room with everything we needed and everyone was helpful with recommendations, booking taxis etc.

A short and interesting walk in to town and along the river, we had an unforgettable stay!

Thanks

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

After reading many glowIng reviews on TA I was keen to stay at The Rustic. I guess I was a bit disappointed because it failed to live up to my expectations.

The positives; the staff are helpful and the decor is clean and charming. The kitchenette was fabulous too for storing food or cooking in the microwave. I also liked that the Wararot market is 2 minutes away as I loved that place. It's also 10 minutes walk to the Old City.
My bugbears were that on my first night I noticed my bathroom floor was wet and I could hear a dripping noise. I woke early the next day to find no running water in my room to shower or wash my hands. Soon after the toilet stopped flushing. As their staff aren't on the premises between 10pm-7am and there are no phones in the rooms, I was stuck feeling very uncomfortable. There was a toilet on the ground floor but I was on the 4th floor. Fortunately the water was on by 7.30am. However
the dripping in my bathroom continues for my entire 3 day stay!! Also the shower wasn't very hot.

I had an early flight and needed to check out at 6.30am. The staff weren't willing to come in early to check me out or assist with bringing my suitcase down 4 flights of narrow stairs!!

• Stayed: February 2014

thank you for stay with us . we take your feedback and we will improve our service . hope to see you stay at the rustic guesthouse again in the future.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed at the Rustic Guest House for three nights last week.

First, the positives:
My room was lovely. Really lovely. The room was a great size, and the bed was very comfortable. I loved the way Nic did the restoration of the building with genuine feeling "old time/antique" atmosphere, I had a small balcony overlooking the alley which came in handy when I wanted to dry some clothes on the drying rack.
As is mentioned in other reviews, there is a nice area with crackers, fruit and water where the absolutely delicious breakfast is served.
Tak and the woman who is on in the evening whose name I can't remember could not have been more friendly and more helpful.
It is a convenient location, just next to the Chinese gate, and walking distance to the night bazaar and the east gate. Warorot market is just around the corner, and there is a 7-11 and money exchange just down the street.

The things I wish were a bit different:
My confirmation email said that my room was on the "first level." Well, it was on the first level that had guest rooms, but it was still up two flights of stairs.
There was no safe in my room. This is the only guest house in Thailand that I stayed in where there was not an in-room safe.
The bathroom was super tiny, but it really was fine.
I would have liked to see more of Nic. Based on other reviews of Nic being such a great guy and showing people around, I thought he would be there when I checked in, and that I would get an orientation to that part of town. When I got there and asked about that, I was told that he generally was there for a little while in the morning, and a little while in the evening, but that he actually worked elsewhere as well as having the guest house. I met him briefly one morning as I was leaving to be picked up for an activity. I guess I assumed he'd be on site more...but again, his staff that is on site all day and evening is excellent.
One of the nights I stayed there, the hallway lights did not go out at midnight as they did on the other nights. Because there was a big glass window above my door, it was like having a lamp shining in on my room all night.
These "I wish this was a bit different" things really were no big deal.I really enjoyed the Rustic...I just wanted to share a balanced view of my visit.

Overall, I loved the Rustic, and would stay there again when I return to Chiang Mai.

Room Tip: The lower the floor the better if you have a lot of luggage.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Lovesoul

Reviewed January 24, 2014

This is the perfect place to stay in Chiang Mai. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast is great. Coffee, tea, water, biscuits available 24 hrs. The location is perfect. A short walk to anything in Chiang Mai. Very close to night market, Chinatown, and the east gate bars. Great value for price. The best part of this guesthouse is the staff. They actually care about their guests. For someone traveling solo, it was always nice to chat a bit or get advise about the area. It felt more like a home than a hotel.
I highly recommend Rustic. And would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Rich H

Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

This was our home away from home! We felt safe and warm and cared for! Handsome nick and beautiful Tak are everything you could want in hosts!

I built a trust so quickly with people who were strangers really!
Can't wait to see them again and anyone looking for a cool place to stay this is it by far!

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We had a comfortable stay at this mini guesthouse. The rooms were clean, the breakfasts were tasty, and the staff were friendly and helpful. You can get a good sleep at this guesthouse as it's located outside of the walled touristy area, in a side alley across from shops selling housewares which close up in the evening, so it's nice and quiet at night and even during the day. The communal kitchen area with free tea, biscuits, and fruit was a really great feature, as you could sit there to eat take-out or have a snack after being out.
The only thing we would like to point out is of the 2 rooms we had, the one on the lower floor had a very tight toilet area. You could not really close the doors when sitting on the toilet. The other room we had on an upper floor did not have this problem. But this was just a minor thing. We enjoyed our stay at Rustic and recommend it as a good choice to stay in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple