“Will definitely return....”
Review of La Provence - CLOSED

La Provence
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: nice decoration from South of France, dinner with music and soft lights andcandlesJolie decoration de style provencal, diner avec ambiance musicale, lumieres tamisees et bougies
Reviewed May 26, 2013

A lovely restaurant located down a small soi, and luckily for me, very close to my hotel. The owner/manager Elizabeth really does pour her heart into everything she does. She produces beautiful meals and a relaxing, comfortable atmosphere. I sampled three dishes and was very happy across the board. One dish included anchovies, which my husband usually turns his nose up at, but he really enjoyed the flavor due to the lovely balance Elizabeth struck between the fish and the other ingredients. I'll return on my next jaunt to CM :)

1  Thank M G
There are newer reviews for La Provence

Reviewed April 28, 2013

This atmospheric restaurant in a quiet street in the old city of Chiang Mai will offer you great service, excellent food with good quality ingredients and a serene and cozy place to hide away from the buzzle of the streets littered with noisy bars and bad music. The owner is set on serving you the best quality meals and in that she is demanding from her employees. But it seems to pay off as the result on your plate is divine -and well worth the cost. The meat lovers should know that the beef steaks are served also 'blue' and the kitchen will keep to your preferences. Already the delightful wine and the selection of mouth watering cheeses will give you a great cause to visit this place and look deeper into the menu's refreshing choices so hard to find elsewhere among the streets covered with places serving mostly chips, burgers and bad quality pizzas for those wanting a break from Thai food.

1  Thank Kim N
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I came down Soi 2 looking for *Paris*, another French restaurant in the area, but it was closed. Luckily, since I was set on French, La Provence was not much further on. The owner, Elizabeth, is basically running the place on her own (you'll see more about staffing in other reviews), but as Songkran is now over and it's quiet in town, it's not such a huge issue for now. She not only served me most of the time (and chatted for a bit), but also cooked my dinner—an excellent tomato, cucumber and egg salad, followed by a well-spiced beef tartare with pommes frites and then crème brulee for dessert. Kir for an aperitif (as a chalkboard suggested in French), then a Chilean red, served cool, with the main. All perfect for a hot Chiangmai night. I didn't get to sample more of what was on the menu—so I'll likely be going back tonight for a second night in a row.

1  Thank benhourigan
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We mostly eat thai food when in Chiang Mai, but thought we'd have a special dinner at this French Restaurant. Our waitress was very pleasant and helpful. She had just started working at this restaurant and not sure how long she lasted as the owner was very brusque with her (that's being polite) ...
I ordered the chicken dish, which was immediately sent back as the chicken was cold on the outside and still frozen in the middle! The same piece of chicken reappeared (I could tell by my previous bite marks), at least warmed up, but the whole dish was a great disappointment, with the sauce also lacking in flavour. My husband ordered the steak, which was served with the special fries (very limited and not so special). As for the steak, he couldn't chew through it. The owner was taken aback when she asked how it was ("tough and chewy" was my husband's reply). "Impossible" she declared. "Try some" he said. She did, and couldn't speak for a minute or two as it was very difficult to chew. She made every excuse possible, before finally settling on the new waitress as the culprit!! We were dumbfounded at this comment and asked for an explanation. Her reply ... "well, she has probably distracted the chef with her questions". Unbelievable!!! The only saving grace was that we intended to order a cheese platter for dessert, but didn't order it when we ordered the mains. We honestly wouldn't have been happy to spend any more at this poor excuse for a french restaurant. Instead we went up the road to an Italian restaurant and asked the owner if he could make us a cheese platter. He did; we enjoyed it, and that saved the night for us.

1  Thank LorrainePAustralia
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This cosy little restaurant tucked away in a back street of the old city is owned and operated by a French expat lady who is very passionate about making her authentic French cuisine as good as possible. The food is authentic, unlike most western restaurants in Thailand.
She doesn't like to serve beer, nor does she want drunken louts as customers - she prefers to serve nice wines (at very reasonable prices given it is a restaurant) to complement the food.
A very nice experience.
Note that the address on Tripadvisor is currently wrong - it is actually on Mitrpranee Rd in the old city, about 100m from the South East corner of the old city's walls.

1  Thank MarkTBrizzy