Lowest prices for your stay
$108
$99
Booking.com$107
eDreams$107
Priceline$102
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I have stayed in Chaing Mai before and always enjoyed it. This time we wanted to upgrade a bit as we wanted to take her Thai parents along & knew they'd enjoy being in Chiang on the river. I'd also brought a colleague from work in the US & wanted to make sure all had the best and that everyone would be happy.

The Sala Lanna was superb. When we arrived the upgraded her parents room to a river view with a large balcony which they really enjoyed. The staff is very friendly and genuine.

The rooms themselves look great on the website: but are even better in person. They are stylish, fresh and clean and enhance the location along the Mae Ping, without overpowering it. Everything is new top grade and works: A/C, wifi, hot water, lighting, plumbing (very very nice). Nothing left out. The beds are amongst the best in Thailand period.

The 2 restaurants one Thai fusion & the other contemporary Italian were excellent and moderately priced. The included breakfast is a full menu choice: varied and cooked to order. I recommend the Asian (boiled rice with pork and squid) or if you prefer western: The Spanish with the omelet & shaved Parma ham.

The service is great and what you want and expect in a top boutique. The restaurant floor manager was trained and worked for years at The Oriental Chiang Mai. Pare, our waitress holds a BA in French & worked previously in Disney World Orlando. Ann another of the great wait staff speaks flawless English and grew up near my wife's home town of Kamphaeng Phet. The front desk staff also was very helpful and attended to our every need Pae and the others helped my elderly in laws and our 4 year old son throughout our stay.

We had a wonderful stay in Chiang Mai and loved the beauty & serenity of the Sala Lanna and its friendly staff. We will be back soon.

Date of stay: June 2013
3  Thank Quai_Noi
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I recently stayed at the Sala Lanna with my brother in May. The hotel is a small very new boutique hotel with only 16 rooms. The restaurant breakfast every morning is delicious and it comes with a daily fresh glass of fruit juice! You can sit indoors or outdoors overlooking the Ping River. Although the rooftop pool area was not finished it was quiet and relaxing and has an amazing view of the river and city. When it is finished (perhaps it is already completed) there will be a rooftop bar that will be a great addition.
The staff at the hotel are wonderful. They were incredibly helpful organizing our plans for our three days in Chiang Mai by reserving our spots for the elephant nature camp, arranging drivers for us, and even calling the airlines to help us with flight questions! Pai was wonderful but all the staff were great.
The hotel is also in a great location. I was hesitant because it is on the other side of the river from the night market but this was actually perfect. You could walk if you were feeling energetic or take a Tuk-Tuk for 60 Baht (about 2-3 dollars). There is a fun bar right down the street that has live music every night and was really fun and the Italian restaurant through the hotel was also delicious!
I would DEFINITELY stay here again. The hotel has everything you need, is a great location, rooms are great and staff was wonderful!

Room tip: Even the rooms on the street side were quiet.
Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank abbey15
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Rooms:
• Love the décor, clean and minimalist (you can tell it’s Ikea, but tastefully so)
• Heaps of sockets everywhere, so convenient
• Balconies are spacious and fantastic for lounging after a long day of elephants/tours. Does not get much sun though

General:
• Location isn’t old city centre but it’s a good area with a couple of nice galleries, cafes and 2 highly recommended restaurants. 10min to night market, 15min to city centre by taxi
• Al Fresco dining area was very nice for breakfast
• Very impressive wifi throughout
• Great staff generally, well trained, good English (bar the restaurant, refer to cons)
• Dinner at Sala Lanna Eatery and Bar was great Thai and European food, not pricey either
• Roof top pool with massive and ample sun beds, towels. Pool however, is pretty small

Tips:
•Bring LOTS of mozzie spray

Cons:
• Restaurant:
oBreakfast was below average. My friend didn’t even bother on the 2nd day because the first was that dreadful. Croissants were lumpy, pork balls were still raw on the inside, ham was inedible, waffles were soggy. Juices were their redeeming factor – very fresh and tasty. He went for an English breakfast set which arrived with no beans and no yogurt.
o Staff in the resto needs to learn both the menu and also more english!

Room tip: River View Superior Balcony – 2nd category and best room as Balcony is a must and views of the river are pretty ugly
Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank WeeTanWee
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We just spent spent last night at the just beautiful & just opened Sala Lanna Chiang Mai, staying in a Deluxe River View Balcony room. We were made to feel welcome right from start and were quickly checked in & escorted to our room. The room's 'wow factor' hits you as soon as the door opens & you walk straight into the large bathroom (has to be about 50% of the overall room size), complete with period style bathtub (on feet) right in the centre of the room! All very spacious and open, with a gorgeous bedroom opening onto an extra large balcony with daybed / sofa & rocking chair (yes!) all overlooking the Chiang Mai's Ping River. I don't really know how to describe the decor? Contemporary Thai minimalist?

There's a rooftop infinity edge swimming pool & bar, again overlooking the Ping River that I think is about set to open, as well as a smaller riverfront swimming pool on the ground floor, adjacent to the restaurant & bar.

We dined at the hotel's own Italian restaurant next door, which connects through & enjoyed the food & wine very much. Certainly one of the better Italian food experiences we've had in recent times.

Overall, the service throughout was friendly, efficient & welcoming and we were usually addressed by name, which was lovely. I suppose that's not too difficult when there's only 15 or 16 rooms / suites available! To be honest, the level of service was surprisingly good for a hotel that really has only just opened!

My only criticism is that it became a bit of a hike using the stairs up to our 3rd floor room - the compensation for this though is a good river view. The hotel said they are installing a lift & sooner would be better than later.

The location of the hotel is excellent & nearby to other restaurants & bars and not that far a walk from the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar & just across the river from the beautiful local flower market.

Overall an excellent and all too short a visit, but we'll definitely be back for more!

Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank ian-cnx
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed at sala lanna Chiang Mai during the opening months which had its pros and cons.
On the plus side, everything seemed to be so clean and new but there still some smell of the
painting left in the room which I could smell everytime I entered the room but after a while it's alright. And I can hear construction noise every late morning :(

I found that the hotel is in a very good location. It is very convenient either you have a car or use public transportation. It is located in walking distance to two of Chiang Mai famous riverside pub and restaurants.

The deluxe room which we stayed is on the third floor with spacious balcony overlooking Ping river and you can see Doi Suthep from there which is so wonderful. Traveling with a friend, I feel not very comfortable with the see-through curtain that the hotel used to separate the bed and bath area though the shower area has frosted-glass sliding door but it would be nice for couples.

I have the opportunity to walk up to the soon-to-be-open roof-top bar and I just love the decoration and the view. It surely will be a very nice place to chill-out.

The hotel's breakfast was the best. I love their attention to every details and the staff at the River restaurant is very attentive.

For me, sala lanna Chiang Mai is one of the best hotel I ever stayed in Chiang Mai and I will surely stay at the hotel if I have a chance to visit Chiang Mai again.

Date of stay: April 2013