“Cosy restaurant, attentive staff and great food”
Review of Rioja II

Rioja II
Ranked #1,096 of 2,056 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Cosy restaurant, attentive staff and great food”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My mother is a big fan of Spanish food so when she came to visit we took her to Rioja.It was my first visit and I have to say I am impressed. The restaurant itself is cosy and welcoming and it's easy to relax as soon as you sit at the colourful, well set tables. The staff were extremely friendly and attentive and advised us on food and the waiting time for the paella. We tried a tapas dish of mussels which were sublime and came quite quickly. Even the paella, which we had been warned would take half an hour, seemed to appear quicker than that. My only complaint is that the portion size for the paella was 2-3 people and even with 2 smaller apetites (and one man sized) it wasn't enough. Definitely over-estimate how much you'll need, I would advise it would only serve 2. It was also missing the scallops that the menu said it included. That aside, I found it tasty and well cooked. We enjoyed the wine and the ambience and would absolutely recommend the place to others. The prices are very good for the quaility of food you receive. Thank you Rioja - we'll be back.

• Visited February 2013

“Gorgeous food in a cosy atmosphere”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Had a great meal here, staff were so attentive and friendly and the food was absolutely delicious.

The whole place is very cosy and welcoming and to top it off, we got a free sangria each for ordering 3 dishes or more each...... winner!!!!

If you fancy a change from Thai food, you should definitely visit Rioja - highly recommended!

Springfield
“Clean, cozy, delicious.”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

On a tip from a friend who has lived in Spain for many years, I took my daughter and a friend there last night. Loved it from the moment we walked in. Despite being on one of the busiest streets in Chiang Mai, Rioja was quiet and cozy. Decor is attractive and decidedly "Spanish" with warm red walls without being over the top. Wait staff was very attentive without hovering. Food is some of the best we have had so far in our 5 months in Thailand which includes dinners at the Meridien and Chedi. Prices were very fair for the savory fair we were served. Will definitely return.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

An acquaintance recommended this place to me. I am a regular at Jagajee on Nimmanhaeminda Road (non-traditional tapas) and have enjoyef both Mi Casa and Su Casa as well as another new tapas bar on the city outskirts. Riojas II is not in the same class as any of these.....although admittedly I didnt try the sangria which is supposed to be good. That doesnt surprise given the subpar 200 baht glass of Spanish wine I was served. Nothing thst I ate was even good....just like eating expensive bar food of average quality....i will not return.

Flekkefjord, Norway
“Nice tapas in Chiang Mai”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

After our 3rd try to find this restaurant (it's actually not so difficult, but with all the signs in Thailand it can be hard to know what you are looking for when you haven't been there before) it was a nice surprise when we found it. It is a small restaurant with only 24 seats and a couple on the outside. Very casual and relaxed.
We had 4 different tapas dishes and the duck confit, which were all very tasty. Good house red wine for only 100 baht per glass.

Nice and friendly service. One of the best places I have eaten at so far in Chiang Mai. They only take cash payment.

1 Thank Lisavel