“WOW. Feels like heaven.”
Review of Aoi Garden Home

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Aoi Garden Home
Ranked #120 of 907 Specialty Lodging in Chiang Mai
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hostel has tremendous character, not least due to the characters that run it and their friends that visit.

Is close to heaven. A garden of Eden. It is relaxed, very clean, very comfortable and very sociable at the same time so peaceful and tranquil.

The garden itself is an amazing space, along with the quality of the service rooms and amenities.

However the best thing is the people that run it and there also amazing impeccable efficient staff that are clearly happy working their and always trying to help.

Aoi and her husband have really put their heart into their business and it clearly shows by the advice and help they will give you, the way they treat you and really make you feel like one of the family. It starts to feel like a home, so much so i know i am not the only one that misses them and this place, and will definitely give it the highest recommendation and will go back myself.

Astounding, Amazing. Really loved it. words can not express.

Room Tip: There is a dormitory but the other rooms are also very reasonable with fans or air conditioning. It...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank DavidTarzer

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed here for a night. Though booked for two nights, on my arrival I organize with Aoi (owner) if she can change my second day's into 5th day instead as I intended to take 3 days package hiking tour to Doi Inthonan National Park and Hill Tribes. After checking availabilty she made my booking and invoiced me for the payment. She agreed to keep my big bag.. However she warned me that there are plenty of scam for the trip and quoted me for 1700 Bahts, though I found it for 1050 elsewhere, hearing this she got furious and cancelled my further booking and asked to take my bag also along. I somehow found somewhere else to keep my bag for 3 days but this gave me a shock for a while.
But I was so happy next morning seeing another German couple who were staying in the same dorm with us at Aoi Garden Home, also booked through Aoi, paid 1700B per person for that trip which I was doing for 1050.
Hostel itself is beautiful. Great location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kanjoo
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Best hostel I have EVER stayed at and I have been travelling for a year. The lady that runs the hostel treated everyone like family and went above and beyond her job description to ensure all guests were happy and making the most of their time in Chiang Mai. She informed me of the best trips to take and made me feel so welcome. The facilities are excellent and the rooms are so comfortable and homely. The hostel is quiet in the evening, so I got a restful nights sleep always. I was very sad to leave! I have never been in a place like this and would recommend the hostel to anyone. The hostel is always busy but the owner will always do her best to let people stay; as it's such an amazing place, people want to stay longer :) thank you for a wonderful stay. A fantastic hostel that helped make my time in Chiang Mai so special. Thank you and I wish you every continued success.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank s0l0traveller1983
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at Aoi Garden a few nights during my trip through South East Asia and enjoyed my stay. The rooms are in traditional Thai houses with private rooms as well as dormitories. Amenities such as bathrooms are shared.

The rooms at Aoi Garden Home are simple yet clean - my double room had two mattresses on the floor and a fan. The shared bathroom had a Western toilet and shower and was clean. Wi-fi is available in the garden and at times I received a signal in my room (which overlooked the garden).

The location of the hostel is a bit away from the action - this can be a pro or con depending on your interests as a traveler but for me personally it was a pro because it was located in a quieter area. The garden felt secluded and was a comfortable place to hang out and enjoy the lovely weather of Chiang Mai. Basic breakfast set meals are sold in the morning and throughout the day you can purchase cold drinks. I would recommend that the hostel carry a few snack selections because I suspect many people would've enjoyed a bite to eat along with their chilled Singha.

Aoi herself was friendly and impressed me with her attention to detail - she remembered my name after she helped checked me on the first day and when we encountered one another she'd ask about my trip. A few of the other workers there spoke minimal English but everyone seemed quite friendly. Laundry is available for a reasonable price and the staff can help arrange trips.

A note for travelers - while the garden is a lovely spot to sit and chat it voices carry throughout the hostel - if you come back late from a night out please be respectful of other guests and keep your voices down. I was dismayed to be awoken at 5am by other guests loudly talking and laughing in the garden after a night out. When the staff realized what was going on after some time they asked them to be quiet which I appreciated but by then I was already wide awake.

Also, if you arrange a tour on your own with pick up be sure to specify that this is the old Mojito Garden - my pick up for my cooking class arrived quite a bit late because they had gotten lost and couldn't find the address. Tuk-tuk drivers also admitted that it was difficult to find but recognized the name "Mojito Garden" and knew its location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Miss C
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Lovely little hostel with a beautiful garden area and a smiling, very accommodating owner named Aoi, who is the star feature of the hostel.

Like the accommodation itself, Aoi is laidback and entertaining to hang around. She also knows a lot about the city and has some good connections for transport and places to go.

In a secluded side street, a little off the beaten track, I stayed here for a few days last summer just as they were still making the finishing touches to some of the rooms.
It's within good walking distance to the famous Chiang Mai Women's Prison Massage Centre as well as some lovely restaurants hidden away like Blue Diamond The Breakfast Club.

I took Aoi's recommendation of visiting her friend, Da for an authentic Thai cooking course at his beautiful home 'Da's Organic Farm Hut' out in the serene country side.
It was definitely a highlight and a worthy testament to the great company Aoi keeps.
A wonderful recommendation indeed.

The rooms are basic but comfortable enough for travellers with simple needs and the relaxed atmosphere of the surroundings and friendly staff make you feel very at peace while you read a book in the garden or get to know some of the fellow travellers.

I would most certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper it may be better not to choose the room behind the bar area as the wal...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank matt_milhouse
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Was recommended here by a friend and loved it! So cute and nicely decorated. Rooms immaculate and clean. Staff very helpful and informative- all our activities were done through companies they recommended and were excellent!! Nice English breakfast in the morning went down a treat. Within the main city so walking distance to most stuff. Very very cheap for what it is! Loved it :) Would 100% stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Beckybackpacker
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed at Aoi's guesthouse for 3 nights in a private room.
Amenities are shared, but in good condition.
Walking distance to everything.
The stand out was Aoi, the owner/operator.
She was great, very helpful, and lovely to deal with.
Aoi used to be a trek guide, so has a broad deal of knowledge with the tours around Chiang Mai, she is also very against the exploitation of Elephants on tours, and will recommend the slightly more expensive, but well worth day trip to Woody's elephant farm.
Aoi makes this guest house what it is, I recommend booking online, with an accurate ETA.
If you are going to be later than your ETA, call and let her know, and she will hold your room.

Room Tip: Dorms were 5 bed dorms, private rooms have twin beds or double bed. Price was 350THB a night for pr...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo