“good place to stay and discover Chiang Mai”
Review of SOHOstel

SOHOstel
Ranked #242 of 932 Specialty Lodging in Chiang Mai
Reviewed November 16, 2013

when I booked Sohostel, I did not respect much about this because the price of dorm room is so cheap. However, the facilities are much better than I respected. Everything is so clean, especially restrooms. I love the decor and the pace of this place and the best thing is that Sohostel is very near night bazzar and Sunday market. I think I will come back here whenever going to Chiang Mai

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Beds are red which is cool. Place is very clean. Their always seemed to be a cleaning lady around during the day no matter what floor you're on. Lockers in rooms with the option of using your own lock. Id reccomend a lower bunk as the top can be a bit wobbly but they seem stable enough. a personal light and electric socket at each bed is a nice touch ( even the top bunks). Staff seem friendly enough being able to help me each time I came to them with an issue. Location is nice and central, a few to many gogo bars on the same street but its by no means a deal breaker. Overall nice place for travellers and backpackers, good price, clean basics.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We came here with a group of 6 ppl. Its suprising me with decoration at first as a very western style. Finally we got a place in a heart of town. It s great to cycling around too. This hostel prepared us a Loi Krathong cause we are in Loi Krathong festival day too.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I have been to SOHOstel for 5 nights. We expected a not expensive place, with a nice atmosphere, but also individual rooms, and that's what we found. The place is very cool and clean. The room was ok, comfortable and clean. The staff was not very helpful, which was a down point. The location is also good, near the Night Bazar.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This hostel is a fairly new hostel but we can already tell this will be the new popular hotspot for backpackers in the near future. The kitchen is clean and spacious with most kitchen utensils provided so you can cook your own meals. The common area has more of a canteen style layout. It's fairly big but is definitely missing some comfy sofas. We stayed in a 12 bed dorm, it was clean and airy and it didn't feel like you were on top of everyone, like a large dorm can sometimes feel. The toilets and showers are of a high standard for a hostel and there's a very welcomed lift so you don't have to lug your bag up the stairs. The location is excellent, very central and only a few minutes walk from the night market. The only issue we had was that they increased the price mid way through our stay as it became high season and they didn't inform us that this would be happening when we checked in. However, this is a great hostel and would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Maeve E
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This is a reasonably priced hostel in a good area for nightlife in Chiang Mai (free muay thai matches and decent bars a few sois up the street). The design is nice and the rooms were clean. The staff were very friendly, everyone from the maids to the girls at the front desk that were kind enough to put up with me asking for translations on text messages. My biggest gripe is that the lobby area where people hang out, use the computers or do laundry was not closed off and I was bitten profusely by mosquitos when I went down there, even with repellent.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mike W
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My friends and I stayed at the SOHOstel for two nights in August.
There were six of us and we stayed at the six bed dorm, and the room was good for us. It also had lockers inside the room. The location of the hostel was good enough for us, it was near the night market across the bridge and there was a McDonalds there just in case you were hungry for burgers and chips.

It was only about 10 minutes walk away from the strip with all the restaurants and bar around the old city. The communal area on the ground floor was spacious and you could always bring your food and drinks back and just eat there. There were also few bicycles and a hammock there. You could also do your own laundry...

The only thing which was a let down were the toilets. Some of the shower cubicles had doors there weren't functioning well. If kept neat, tidy and stenchfree then I would've knocked this review up to 4 stars... And the other thing was we did tell the staff at the desk but it seemed like they weren't really 'on the job'.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends