“SOHOstel = fun time”
Review of SOHOstel

SOHOstel
Ranked #242 of 932 Specialty Lodging in Chiang Mai
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was recommended SOHOstel by a fellow traveler and I am very happy I took their suggestion. It is located a short walk from Tha Pae Gate and even closer to the night market. The staff is great and very helpful, the common area is large and includes a kitchen, and laundry machines. There are many activities offered by the hostel; bikes to rent, tours offered... I got a great night of sleep in my 6 bed (air conditioned) dorm room and have thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I recommend it to other travelers for sure.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank rachel h

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We booked a double private room during Songkran with an en suite bathroom and loved the way it was decorated, the A/C, LCD TV, the cleanliness, the bathroom. The only thing we couldn't handle was the constant mosquito problem. They seemed to be coming out of nowhere even when the bathroom door was shut and we had a towel under the door. Perhaps they were breeding in the A/C unit? Not sure, but it made it very unpleasant to have to keep swatting them no matter the time of day and difficult to sleep at night.

The floor was covered in dead mosquitoes by the time we checked out as my boyfriend loves to kill them. Otherwise, the location is perfect, close to the Night Bazaar and walkable to the moat.The place was busy and wet from party goers but the staff did a good job laying out blankets so no one would slip.

We were only there for three nights and did enjoy our stay, but unless they fix the mosquito problem I can't go back. I stayed in a guesthouse during the same trip that was very rustic with only a fan, with many more opportunities for mosquitoes to get in through the floors, complete with a mosquito net over the bed and there I saw only one or two mosquitoes total so I'm not sure what the issue was with SoHostel's infestation. They definitely lost a star for that.

Room Tip: Bring a mosquito net and bug spray!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2013

So Hostel is a modern twist of backpacker hostel and hotel. With 9 floors providing private rooms, 12 room dorms and everything in-between you can find any accommodation to suit your needs. Located on Loy Khro Rd. SOHO is set right in the middle of old town and the night bazaar surrounded by plenty of good spots to grab a bite and a cold drink. SOHO also provides a large common area on the first floor with a kitchen. The balcony on the 8th floor that over looks the street and the temple located directly across the way is a good spot for cold beer around sun set.
I've personally been staying in one of the 12 bed dorms. With A/C and comfortable beds it's been perfect for a good nights sleep and opportunities to meet fellow travelers. I've stayed here multiple times while traveling and have found the staff to be helpful and friendly. I've spent many nights sharing a drink and swapping stories with new friends before heading out for a night on the town.
I can understand some of the bad revues given since SOHO is a new hostel there are some wrinkles that need to be ironed out, but you'll find that true for any new business. I think over time SOHO only has room for improvement. From the last time I stayed here till now it's plain for me see that the staff is doing what they can to adapt and understand the needs of travelers to provide a fun, clean, and relaxing stay. I do recommend SOHO if you are looking for modern feel and good central location for walking and bicycle touring Chiang Mai. Good on you for traveling!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank King_Julian_IV
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Very satisfied overall! I stayed here twice, firstly during Songkran and there was a great atmosphere, great for meeting people. Location is perfect, all nightlife is within walking distance. Good facilities too everything's really modern and attractive, staff are helpful as well and can help with booking buses and organising tours. Only minor problem was that the bathrooms weren't the cleanest!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Smiler000
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I booked 4 nights in this hostels but after one night I left. The staff is really unpleasant and rude, the bathroom is disgusting and no toilet paper. I booked a bed in a 8 bed dorm but I’m alone and the Hostel is always under construction. There are a lot of mosquitoes. The hostel is located in the neighborhood bars girls and for a woman alone it’s not really funny. I don’t like this place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Soho is centrally located and very clean. I stayed in a dorm room and it was very spacious. The communal bathrooms were very clean as well. There are lockers in the rooms and a main gate that does not open unless you have a key. It is very safe! The staff is friendly and helpful. Soho is by far the best hostel I've stayed at in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 21, 2013

A great little hostel with a huge commons area, great for meeting people or just hanging out, an awesome kitchen if you want to make your own food and free wifi! The rooms are clean and cozy with comfy beds and air con. I would recommend this hostel for sure. Very modern.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends