The Opium Serviced Apartment & Hotel
  • Restaurant
$545
$252
Agoda.com
De Naga Hotel(Chiang Mai)
$96
$340
Sirilanna Hotel(Chiang Mai)
$102
TripAdvisor
All reviewssmall gym areaold citylocal marketgrand suiteplenty of storagetuk tukgreat place to stayminutes walk awayclose to the hotelrooms are spaciousreception staffspeak good englishthe wi fired taxivisit chiang maielephant sanctuaryan oasis
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at the Opium during the last week of June 2013. The staff were incredibly accommodating. They had no problems booking day trips, cabs for the airport, or even calling my hotel in Bangkok to figure out the best route for me from the airport.

They are very honest and do not have a preference on day trips. The staff at Opium really made our stay in Chiang Mai. The first day we were there, Mr. Boom laid out all the markets on the map (night bazaar, saturday and sunday markets). They also gave us hints for the nightlife.

The rooms were very clean and were always cleaned timely. The last day, my friends were taking a late flight and since no one had booked their room - staff allowed them the room until they left as opposed to normal check-out.

I would absolutely recommend this place to others. Its a bit farther from the city, but its in a great neighbourhood. Although I was travelling with friends, I had a few days by myself and felt very safe. There is a also small market behind the hotel with some nice shops. Cabs to the city centre were about 100 baht total.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jenn B
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed here on the 5 & 6th June 2013 for a short trip to Chiang Mai after escaping the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. What a relief to arrive as the energy is so calm and relaxing in comparison. The people are friendly, the city has a different vibe. The Opium Hotel is great for a short stay. It's family friendly, cheap and value for money. The manager, X speaks fluent English. Probably one of the best I met and so helpful. The rooms are large and perfectly adequate. I used the small yet efficient gym area. I loved the beautiful freshly cooked breakfast. Awesome!! The staff assisted me with booking my elephant camp tour and my Thai cooking school class. The hotel has nearby shops, a few eateries and 7/11 only a short stroll away.

The only down side was at night you could hear the wanna be Voice Auditions/ X Factor rejects singing from a local karaoke bar. Nothing some ear plugs and a few drinks yourself won't fix.

Room Tip: A little gem hidden away down the soi
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mar lene D
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I have had such a lovely experience here. When I first arrived I was a bit nervous because the hotel is a little off the beaten track. We pulled up to a driveway in a seemingly random location. After walking down the driveway and around the corner, I saw the hotel. And I started to believe all the great reviews I had read!

The hotel is beautiful with a kind of small but really lovely pool area out front. The rooms are super clean. And coming from me that is saying a lot because I have admittedly too high standards. And they are huge! There is plenty of storage space as well. I heard from another person staying here that they give discounts for extends stays. Unfortunately I only have a few days in Chiang Mai, but this is definitely a hotel/room you could comfortably stay in for months.

I think because it is the low season and maybe because the hotel is new, it has been fairly quiet here. It has bee completely relaxing. It's almost a problem because its so hard to tear myself away from the pool to go sightseeing.

The customer service in all of Southeast Asia is typically above average. However, at The Opium they really are the best of the best. Everyone is so nice and accommodating. They have tons of great suggestions for sightseeing, eating, and activities. Yet not pushy at all with tours and
treks, which is appreciated. They've helped me book an elephant sanctuary day trip (at Elephant Nature Park - the ONLY humane park here) and a cooking class. Every time I have asked them for anything, they have gone truly above and beyond to help.

The one tiny complaint I have is that The Opium is relatively far away from the center of town, the "Old City". It's about 2km outside. However, this is a small sacrifice for all of the amazing aspects of the hotel. I would never stay anywhere else in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank MCD1218
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Staying here at present . Booked in for 2 nights and now here 10 and 4 more to go. I spent my first 2 days checking out other places to see if i would like better but after viewing 5 others we decided the Opium was one of the best and for the rate and standard cannot be beaten.

I am on daily rate but huge discounts available for monthly stays.

Location is grand for us, a Tuk Tuk outside gets us anywhere in a few minutes and we sort have adopted the same tuk tuk guy as he waits for us daily now. I hired him to drive me to the different apartments the first day. I guess I may be too generous tipping as I had one guy offer me a full day tour in tuk tuk for 400 baht, I pay baht 100 per trip.

The apartments are spacious , kitchens are basic but has all we need, kettle, hob, 2 pots, cutlery, tea, coffee, sugar provided.

Bathroom has 3 showers, unreal, a rain shower, a wall shower and an electric shower over the bath. Never have I seen 3 showers anywhere.

Beds comfy and very large.

TV in bedroom and living room.

Internet is complimentary and is fast with 2 boosters on each landing. Work fine i bedroom as well.

Small gym but fine and does NOT close , which is great , a real bonus for people like me who like to work out after midnight. Cannot stand gym policy in nearly all hotels , closing at 7pm or 8pm.

Pool seems to also open late , 11pm or midnight - great except I cannot swim. Nice colourful lighting system in pool makes the water change colour.

Staff very friendly , cleaning crew also very nice and friendly.

Only negatives I would have are

1 toilet roll at a time.

1 towel per guest.

no slippers / dressing gowns provided (normally standard for 4****) but I do travel with my own so not a problem for me.

Overall excellent value

Highly Recommend

Room Tip: We got a ground floor unit with patio / terrace, our room overlooks pool and gym. Upper floors do not seem to have a balcony but could be at back, not overlooking the compound.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AmsterdamEscape
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Based in the most prettiest city in Thailand Opium is a new serviced boutique style hotel situated in an ideal location which met all our needs .
You can jump on one of the mini vans to the new town from the main road within a 5 minute walk from the hotel , along the way there are a few superb local food joints who serve some classic Chiang Mai dishes costing nothing to what you would usually pay in mainstream areas .

I would not hesitate to rate this hotel a 10 out of 10 considering its genuine customer service , rooms , cleanliness, location etc........ .
The front office manager and staff are genuinely helpful offering useful handy tips about everything you really need to know , I myself work in the service industry and it is lovely to witness such impressive customer service throughout our stay .

Me and my wife and one of our good friend who visited us from KL stayed here for 4 x nights in May 2013 and we will most certainly choose Opium if we return next year .

Room Tip: All Rooms are Good
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple