“amazing food!”
Review of Brown Rice / Organic Bistro - CLOSED

Brown Rice / Organic Bistro
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Brown Rice has just opened in the restaurant at 85/5 Samlann road Tumbol Phra singha in Chiang Mai. It is an all vegetarian restaurant, specialising in thai food, but also serves several western dishes. It is run by the fantastic Duang, a thai 'masterchef' who has written many cookery books and has appeared on thai tv cooking channels.Business hour.11.00 a.m.-21.00p.m. Close on Wednesday. All our food is freshly prepared and cooked with love. Our dishes are special and from the heart so sometimes they might take a little while. Please be patient and we will serve you as quickly as we can.
Reviewed April 16, 2014

the food at brown rice was amazing, I had the pad thai and the veggie burger and both were delicious. definitely one of the best meals I had in south east asia

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We spent only one night in Chiang Mai and fortunately came across this place, by chance. Small with friendly atmosphere with very attentive and polite staff.
The food was divine. Full of flavour and the portions were the right size (didn't look big but surprisingly filing!). Creative and beautifully presented at decent prices.
Even the juices were different to want we typically tend to find.
We definitely recommend this place and hope to find more vegetarian restaurants like this on our travels!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

sit at the bar and you will see the Chef and his understudies create works of art. Some of the most fresh/delicious/well presented food we had ever. Do not let the appearances fool you. The Chef has created an authentic Thai experience. The wall is decorated with his accomplishments and we honestly felt like he could be an Iron Chef.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Duang cooks up his usual incredible gourmet veg cuisine in a sparkling open kitchen. New professional look, new trained staff, and new menu that includes lots of old favorites. Greatly improved service! Friendly place with a very nice vibe. Easy to find behind Mike's Burgers outside the moat!

1  Thank bobnfran
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The place is nice, I hear they are moving though closer to tourist ghetto etc. Owner/chef seems to have skills, but our dishes were off.
The massamam curry was too sweet. Too sweet. It tasted like they melted caramels in the curry, and there was a lot of pineapple, a lot of pineapple, and I'm not sure if there really should be pineapple in the massamam curry, I've had before without pineapple - the curries that have pineapple in them on the menu - say they have pineapple in them. Oh, I don't really like pineapple in curries or on pizzas - so that's me. If you like pineapple in curries, I wish I had your number, so I could have called you to come and eat up that pineapple syrup curry bro.

But it was too sweet. I've also looked about 6 massamam curry recipes including a couple of vegan ones, plus the wiki for massamam - and I don't see any pineapple listed to bring the hint of sweetness.
And my partners soup, the banana flower in coconut milk was ok, I liked the flavor, but it was a bit hard to it, chunky bits of lemon grass and other stalky fun. Taste was good though.
Waiter was nice. Owner was nice. I'm a bit passive and should have sent the curry back, but I don't like to waste food.
The fruity and spicy salad was good though, it was both fruity and spicy.
So if you go, and don't want the curries too sweet, def let them know and see if they can accommodate.

1  Thank David C