“Great place to stay--incredible service”
Review of FWD House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
FWD House
Ranked #275 of 820 Specialty Lodging in Chiang Mai
Houston, Texas
“Great place to stay--incredible service”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed here with some friends while traveling around Thailand in February. The facility was clean and exceeded my expectations for what we paid per night. When my friend told me he booked us at this hostel I was a little skeptical of the hostel experience. But, it was a very nice comfortable place. There are 10 beds in one large room. I thought the showers were nice enough. One is hot and the other is cold. Since there are only a maximum of 10 people I never had to wait for a hot shower. The toilets were always clean and stocked w/tp.

The best part about staying here is the family that owns the place; Win and his wife. They were absolutely incredible. We booked several tours through Win and he got us a great deal on several excursions. We booked Tiger Kingdom, thai boxing, rock climbing, and a jungle trek. Each day before we left Win and his wife cooked us breakfast (included). There were only a few choices, but it was at least something to eat. And he made fresh coffee or tea anytime you wanted it. As well as ice water, which is a necessity. For each event we did, Win would arrange transportation to and from the place. He would also be waiting when we got back asking how it went and if everything was as he said it would be. Win seems to know everyone in town... he got us front row tickets to the thai boxing match one night on short notice for a very reasonable fee. When we got there and we told them Win had sent us we were escorted to the front and given a free beer. We had a total of 4 days in Chang Mai and without Win it would not have been as nice. He really helped us maximize the things were able to see on such a short time frame.

If you're traveling on a budget or with a group of friends and don't mind hostels, then this is the place to stay in Chiang Mai. You really can't beat the price for the service and accommodations provided by Win and his family.

Room Tip: They turn the a/c off during the day so if you plan to stay in the hostel you may want to get a bed...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Myself and 2 friends researched for ages to find a good place to stay in Chaing Mai but boy was it worth it. Travelling on a budget always makes life a little more difficult when searching for accommodation. But this was a true gem.

We stayed here after a 22 hour train journey from Bangkok. Its not the easiest place to find as at the time it had only been open for 12 months and taxi/tuk tuk drivers get lost at the best of times. When we arrived we were greeted by the manager named Win. He spoke great English which made communication really easy. Win runs the hostel with his wife Fu. Throughout our entire stay either Win or Fu were always at the front desk to answer any questions or queries or just help us in generall. (Even when stumbling through the front gate at 4.00am!)

The hostel itself just has one 10 bed dorm. Every person has a separate bed with a built in locker at the end with a padlock supplied. The room is huge but not so big that you feel lost when in there with other people. The beds were very comfy with a power socket right by the side of you. The hostel also has free wifi which with today's social media addicts (like us) was a great bonus!

The bathroom continues the ever so popular polished concrete feel the Thailand seems to love. I actually quite like it but one of my friends described it as 'prison showers'.

Probably the only down point about our whole stay was that the showers weren't that great. I'm not one to complain and actually like a cold shower but there's a difference between cold and arctic. There are only two showers. One is hot and one is cold. And if they are both being used they are both cold. Again, this is not something that puts me off staying here. At all.

The breakfast is basic but the coffee that Fu made was the best I have ever drank. There is an award winning cafe literally 10 seconds away at the end of the road with ridiculously cheap yet outstanding food which we went to almost everyday.

We stayed here for a total of four nights and it did exactly what it said on the tin for a hostel.

The major plus about this hostel is that you can organise all days trips, transfers, next accommodation through the front desk. Win and Fu were superb hosts who saved us a many a penny with their discounted trips and so on. They went out of their way and above to cater for 3 English lads. They even bought us all a leaving gift on our last night.

Would stay here again and would highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The bed concept is cool. The dorms are a bit too concrety ... could use some paint and some more furniture. The staff are super friendly. Helped us book things. Didn't feel like they were pushing one company over another. But ... it was crawling with bed bugs. Was lying in bed reading at night when I saw one coming for me. Then checked under the sheets/mattress and there were plenty more. Tried anther empty bed but also had them. Took a while to convince staff the next day that it was a real problem. Once I did, they offered a full refund without prompting and still organized the trip we had already booked with them (plus changed the date so I could get some sleep). They said they were going to close for a while and fix it ... hope they did.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Fritzel3
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I travelled around Thailand, Laos and Cambodia for the month of June and looking back, this hostel was one of the major contributions to my my trip incredible!!!

I can't even begin to describe how kind, welcoming and just all round amazing the owners of this hostel are. They are two of the nicest people I met on my trip. What I liked is that they genuinely cared about their guests. They want to make sure your comfortable and they told me everything I needed to know about Chiang Mai.

The only downfall is that it was hard to meet other people because its quiet. However, the way to get around this is to write on couch surfing that your in Chiang mai and people will arrange to meet you. There's a number of events on couch surfing you can attend and you will meet people there. Don't let the fact that this place is quiet put you off! You get a great nights sleep, it's really quiet and it's very clean too. The box beds also mean that you get more privacy than you would in other hostels.

The bathrooms are basic but again, they are clean and you can't complain. It's all you need.

If your travelling on your owner in a group and you want a good nights sleep - book this place!

When I checked out they gave me a present which was incredibly sweet of them and I genuinely feel like I left with two new friends :)

I will be back :)

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Only 10 beds and a bit more private, which might be less desirable for someone travelling alone.

Staff/owners are wonderful and super helpful. All of the activities planned for us have been great. Washroom and showers are clean and the box bed style is really nice. Location in old city is very convenient. Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2013
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I want to love FWD House. It's a pretty new venture, set up by a lovely family and designed to provide a slightly different backpacker experience.

The service is great - Win and his team are immensely helpful and always provide service with a smile. It took a while for us to book in but this was a minor niggle. There's some free food available to snack on in the reception area, and you get a towel and slippers provided, with a large locker. It's all kept very clean.

There's no bar or restaurant, so the communal area is limited to the room and the reception area outside. Weirdly it is located above a primary school.

The beds are quite cool in that they are handmade wooden jobs which make a sort of private, office cubicle-like open plan bedroom. The plastic is still on the mattresses though, making them uncomfortable.

The main issue is simply that the place doesn't seem finished! None of the walls, beds, or bathrooms are painted - they're barely even furnished. The walls are lacking a layer of plasterboard on one side. Bathrooms are like stepping into a concrete cell, with guest notices penned onto the walls. A/C is switched off during the day but there are fans in the room - I just wish there were some furnishings - anything - to make it feel like somewhere you'd want to sleep. I've slept in better furnished tents!

The place could be wonderful, and the staff really are great, it's just that it's been opened before it's really finished. A lick of paint, some furnishings, and it could be spectacular.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Jurong, Singapore
Reviewed June 24, 2013

the owner is a very friendly and kind person, who gives good advise on the activities to participate and recommend good company to carry out the activities. family run guesthouse.. when joining the tour from the guesthouse, breakfast would also be provided.
if u are on a tight budget, i strongly recommend it.. on sundays, the Sunday market is right at its footstep..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo