“Great place to sleep” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of FWD House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
FWD House
Ranked #257 of 787 Specialty Lodging in Chiang Mai
“Great place to sleep”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

My only criticism of this place is that it is not designed to be a social hostel. Everyone retires to their own cubicle and it is hard to know how many people are even in the room at a given time. Besides that, it is great. The beds were comfortable, the lighting in the room was good, the AC was adequate, and the staff were very friendly. Location wise it is a ten minute walk from Thapae gate and very near all the major temples in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Eitan F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

I have no doubt that everyone who has been giving rave reviews here are correct. I had originally booked for 4 nights during Songkran for this year (2013) several months in advance through booking.com. I booked so far in advance, in fact, that i am almost embarrassed. Anyway, a few weeks later, the booking.com people got in touch with me to let me know that they didn't feel confident that fwd house could honour the reservation. Booking.com told me that fwd house was going to be closed at the time i had reserved. i was surprised and thought that booking.com was incorrect. So, i checked out fwd house on Facebook and opted to book directly. I liked the layout of the hostel and the price and location, so I was very pleased to learn that it was not going to be closed. Months went by and then 2 days before I was to arrive, i received a curious email asking if I wouldn't mind staying somewhere else for a night or two and that the prearranged airport pickup could not be done. No name was given, just that the accommodation would be with a friend. I felt like I was doing fwd house a favour when I opted to cancel the entire reservation. I have been travelling solo for a few months and take security pretty seriously. It took me several hours of research to find something suitable and within budget as of course anything really good was booked out, as it naturally would be for Songkran. I was very disappointed in this and suggest that you double check the reservation. I am not even sure that this would be enough because I had double checked but still had to deal with the "double booking". I was very disappointed as I say and while I can't assess the quality of the accommodation, I did feel strongly enough about the experience to share it. Normally, of course, not a problem, but not great for a guesthouse to do this at a time when it needs to be reliable. So, that's my two cents. Perhaps a sign of success, but not a great one. Too bad.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Merrianne
FWDhouse, Owner at FWD House, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
The topic is she didn't stay with us but wanted to speak out.
This is the first case and the first cancellation.
Explanation:
About her reservation, We mistook to put her name on the first date. We made double check and when we knew the problem,we sent a massage to her and also we reserved other good place for her. In this situation,The other guest stayed before her in full capacity why we couldn't serve her. She putted on her email that would like cancel all reservations by herself.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Perfect location just a 15 minute walk to the amazing temples and right in the middle with short walks to the night bazaar and markets and restuarants. The showers are great and spacious and the dorm is designed well with privacy and a safe but also a chance to meet other travellers. The owners were outstanding in their service, welcoming and kind and helping book trips and taxis all the time. They went out of their way to arrange everything at a good cost! would definetely recommend this hostel to future travellers, it is a must stay!!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank katiesmith05
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Arrived mid morning after a long and bumpy train ride from Bangkok...and was warmly greeted by one of the owners. They were very friendly and could not be more helpful.
The place has a unique set up, offering a social environment if you want and privacy too.
Met some great people at FWD House.
A fabulous selection of tours are on offer - noteably though, the staff are helpful in answering any questions without wanting to "Sell" you anything....
What better compliment than to say i'll look forward to staying here again when i return to Chiang Mai. :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank SouthernTravla
Baleal, Portugal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

spacey rooms yet you feel alone as the boxed beds are separating you from others, my room smelled of fresh paint and windows won't open, aircon was on all night which made room frozen and you can't turn it off the reception stuff has the remote...wldnt recommend or stay again...

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ankask
FWDhouse, Owner at FWD House, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
FWD Hostel are not Party hostel for sure. Please change your mind because you knew before.
That you thought "fresh paint" but is a smell from Thai herb to protect the mosquitoes or ants and next "windows won't open" why we protected the mosquito to get in the room(can't open only at night) BECAUSE we worry about "Malaria" that every traveler scare it. Another one thing,Just take off the shoes before come in the room. It 's easy and good manner. Why!! The room are clean that is important for staying in.
The reception are not open 24hours. We have the time show for office hour that you knew before when you booked.
WE had our standard. Sorry if you didn't like it.
Bye
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I must admit, deep down I am a hotel lover, but my friend had booked us this hostel before we left from the uk. But having seen the pics of the box-bed I was excited! It was so much more than the pics have shown! If you need anything at all the staff will help you out! It was my birthday during our stay and my friend arranged for the staff to book us a lovely river view table at a restaurant and wins wife arranged a cake and took it down to the restaurant for us do I could be surprised on the night! They really do go out of their way. There are only 10 beds, but that means there isnt a rush for the bathroom facilities, everywhere was clean, and very secure, which is important. My favourite place to stay in Thailand, def would come back here!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Jtads
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I booked another hostel but I didn't like it and I've found this hostel at the last minute. The owners and the staff are really nice. The dorm gives a bit of privicy compared to the usual bunk beds you can find in hostels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo