“Best budget hotel of the trip!”
Review of Varada Place

Varada Place
Ranked #24 of 403 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Varada is the most clean well maintained budget accommodation I have stayed in. It is a short taxi ride to town (which costs very little) and Varada will tell you how to get the cheap prices. Nearby is plenty of yummy food options, we loved Sandwich something (can't remember the exact name) you can custom make burgers and sandwiches, so good! If we are ever in Chang Mai again we will be staying here.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Thank you very much .
Looking forward to see you again .
Best regards

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Selected Varada Place after many positive reviews on TA.

Booked 1 night at first as wasn't sure location or hotel was ok.

Ended up staying about 5 nights. Wanted to stay longer but as Songkran was peak season and I didn't book in advance, they had no more rooms for us and we had to move to a cheaper and "not as nice" hotel around the corner.

Rooms are clean, bright and nice. Only suggtion to Mdm Varada is maybe to decorate the fluorescent light tube in room with some diffuser or shield. Direct light is a bit glaring. Also changing tube from daylight colour to warm white would make the room look nicer.

Location is actually ok. Across road about 100m away is a large shopping centre with a Tops supermarket, banks, fast food and many other shops. There are convenience stores within 50m walk. Self serviced washing machines, a good massage shop and fruit drink stands are just on the ground floor.

We discovered a good area for food and shopping just down the road opposite Chiang Mai Uni. It's called Malilin Centre. I believe it more for Uni students hence, cheap affordable food, clothes, phone accessories and stuff for teenagers and young people. It's only 15 mins away by motorcycle.

The main city (within the moat and walls) is only 10 mins away by bike. We felt this is just right as we're away from the noise but not too far away.

Varada can also provide a fair priced airport transfer and general taxi service. It driven by one of her female relative and we've engaged her a number of times.

In conclusion, great place, affordable, safe and comfy place to stay.

Richard and Ben
April 2014

Room Tip: There's a bit of construction going on opposite hotel so noise may be a factor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ricksdick
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Thank you for your suggestion . I think you have a great time in Thailand .
Best regards .

Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights. The manager, Varada, was amazingly kind and helpful to us. She helped us find better deals on tours than the expensive prices that the touristy guides charge. The rooms were immaculate. The proximity to everything was great. The night guard was friendly and helpful. Overall the value and experience were worthy of being highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank luv2deal

Thank you very much . I hope you have a wonderful holiday in Thailand .
Best wishes

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Thank you Varada for a wonderful stay at your place, it was very relaxing.
Good location, you can hop on a tuc tuc or a red taxi and go to the night markets - agree a price before you get on though. 10-15 minute ride away between 20-40 baht pp.

Shopping mall and 7eleven a few minutes walk away.

The lovely lady next to the hotel in the travel centre can book your trips and gave us fantastic advise on what to book, we done the elephant mahout trekking 2300 baht pp for a day trip - a must do and the Thai best cooking school for 1000 baht pp for the day. Both amazing days out :)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you for your writing for my place .
It is important things if you know the price for a taxi before you get on is much better for you .
I always told my customer to asking me if you need to know or need my suggestion then do not hesitate . I am ready to explain to every customers .
Best wishes .

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed here for 8 nights in March. The rooms are clean but very basic. We had two rooms on the first floor and both had a small enclosed patio. The bathrooms are more updated with newer tiling on the floor and shower. No bathtub but we were okay with that. The location is on the corner of a small intersection. We didn't find traffic noise to be an issue. There is construction on a new building across the street, however. There are restaurants within walking distance. There is even a big mall less than 5 minutes walking distance away with lots of eating options inside (Sizzler, KFC, lots of Thai food options, and grocery store with bakery). On the front of the hotel, there are a couple of business, including a massage parlor (opened from morning to night). It was nice returning back to the hotel every night after long days of exploring and walking and relaxing with a foot massage (cost only 200 baht/hour). There were lots of tourists at this hotel. The surrounding neighborhood felt safe to walk around, even at night. And lastly, like everyone else stated, Varada was a wonderful hostess.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor and close to the center of the building have to deal with noise from people...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank kitkatty26
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you very much for your writing .
You always busy to do many things every day . You need to explore Chiang Mai .
That is great . I hope in next time you come back to Chiang Mai again .
Best wishes.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Varada is an amazing host. I could count on her throughout my stay to be a phone call away to describe to the taxi/red truck drivers where the hotel is situated. I would definitely stay here again, in fact, I do not think I would stay anywhere else when I return to Chiang Mai! Varada was like a second mum to me, only too happy to help with any questions or queries I had about the area or Chiang Mai itself. Yes the hotel is a little out of the main centre of the city. However, the quality of the accommodation and the friendliness of all the staff make the 10 minute walk to the city centre worth it. Alternatively, it is very easy and cheap to take a red truck to take you to the city centre. There is a laundry next door to Varada Place which offered a very good and quick service, a small shop doing smoothies round the corner of the laundry and for a good breakfast I can not recommend Amazing Sandwich on the main road enough.

Room Tip: There is some building work going on at the front of the hotel but it didn't bother me or distur...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Samantha651
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you Sam . I hope you are very enjoying your life in south of Thailand . I would like to say thank you for your help to put a lovely picture for my place .
Kind regards

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Like everyone has mentioned before, Varada is what makes this place a real gem. Before leaving Bangkok, I inquired with Varada by email in regard to the best transportation method. She responded very quickly and explained the different colors for cabs and how much each would cost. She even said to call her in in case we landed and needed the taxi driver to speak to her for directions.

Throughout our weekend stay, she helped us navigate our way around the city and offered us a map to take with us. She even coached me on my Thai so I could get "Thai" prices while traveling around the city.

We were already really impressed with her hospitality but Varada really wowed us when my fiance and I realized we had left our debit cards in Bangkok and therefore could not withdraw cash to cover our last day expenses. Imagine my surprise when Varada tried to give us money in order to cover (at least) a cab back to the airport!!! There's no way we would have ever gotten the same kind of treatment elsewhere, I'm sure of it. We ended up figuring out a solution with our no cash situation and refused her money, but we were so thankful for her generosity!!!

The hotel itself is small but met our needs completely. The room was clean and we heard a little bit of noise from the next door bar but not enough to disturb our sleep. All the rooms are behind a secure entryway so it felt very safe. Thank you Varada for taking care of us so well when we came to visit, we'll be back for sure!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your kind words . I would like to say congratulation to you for your married in Thailand . Every thing that I can help you is my pleasure .
Best wishes