All reviews corner bistro old city drying rack tops supermarket air con minute walk small balcony great wifi budget hotel rent a scooter clean rooms tuk tuk nimmanhaemin road cleaned every day laundry service stayed here for nights red taxi
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Selected Varada Place after many positive reviews on TA.

Booked 1 night at first as wasn't sure location or hotel was ok.

Ended up staying about 5 nights. Wanted to stay longer but as Songkran was peak season and I didn't book in advance, they had no more rooms for us and we had to move to a cheaper and "not as nice" hotel around the corner.

Rooms are clean, bright and nice. Only suggtion to Mdm Varada is maybe to decorate the fluorescent light tube in room with some diffuser or shield. Direct light is a bit glaring. Also changing tube from daylight colour to warm white would make the room look nicer.

Location is actually ok. Across road about 100m away is a large shopping centre with a Tops supermarket, banks, fast food and many other shops. There are convenience stores within 50m walk. Self serviced washing machines, a good massage shop and fruit drink stands are just on the ground floor.

We discovered a good area for food and shopping just down the road opposite Chiang Mai Uni. It's called Malilin Centre. I believe it more for Uni students hence, cheap affordable food, clothes, phone accessories and stuff for teenagers and young people. It's only 15 mins away by motorcycle.

The main city (within the moat and walls) is only 10 mins away by bike. We felt this is just right as we're away from the noise but not too far away.

Varada can also provide a fair priced airport transfer and general taxi service. It driven by one of her female relative and we've engaged her a number of times.

In conclusion, great place, affordable, safe and comfy place to stay.

Richard and Ben
April 2014

Room tip: There's a bit of construction going on opposite hotel so noise may be a factor.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank Ricksdick
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Thank you for your suggestion . I think you have a great time in Thailand .
Best regards .

Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights. The manager, Varada, was amazingly kind and helpful to us. She helped us find better deals on tours than the expensive prices that the touristy guides charge. The rooms were immaculate. The proximity to everything was great. The night guard was friendly and helpful. Overall the value and experience were worthy of being highly recommended.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank luv2deal

Thank you very much . I hope you have a wonderful holiday in Thailand .
Best wishes

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Thank you Varada for a wonderful stay at your place, it was very relaxing.
Good location, you can hop on a tuc tuc or a red taxi and go to the night markets - agree a price before you get on though. 10-15 minute ride away between 20-40 baht pp.

Shopping mall and 7eleven a few minutes walk away.

The lovely lady next to the hotel in the travel centre can book your trips and gave us fantastic advise on what to book, we done the elephant mahout trekking 2300 baht pp for a day trip - a must do and the Thai best cooking school for 1000 baht pp for the day. Both amazing days out :)

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you for your writing for my place .
It is important things if you know the price for a taxi before you get on is much better for you .
I always told my customer to asking me if you need to know or need my suggestion then do not hesitate . I am ready to explain to every customers .
Best wishes .

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed here for 8 nights in March. The rooms are clean but very basic. We had two rooms on the first floor and both had a small enclosed patio. The bathrooms are more updated with newer tiling on the floor and shower. No bathtub but we were okay with that. The location is on the corner of a small intersection. We didn't find traffic noise to be an issue. There is construction on a new building across the street, however. There are restaurants within walking distance. There is even a big mall less than 5 minutes walking distance away with lots of eating options inside (Sizzler, KFC, lots of Thai food options, and grocery store with bakery). On the front of the hotel, there are a couple of business, including a massage parlor (opened from morning to night). It was nice returning back to the hotel every night after long days of exploring and walking and relaxing with a foot massage (cost only 200 baht/hour). There were lots of tourists at this hotel. The surrounding neighborhood felt safe to walk around, even at night. And lastly, like everyone else stated, Varada was a wonderful hostess.

Room tip: Rooms on the first floor and close to the center of the building have to deal with noise from people entering and leaving the building, which is the only way to exit.
Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank kitkatty26
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you very much for your writing .
You always busy to do many things every day . You need to explore Chiang Mai .
That is great . I hope in next time you come back to Chiang Mai again .
Best wishes.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Varada is an amazing host. I could count on her throughout my stay to be a phone call away to describe to the taxi/red truck drivers where the hotel is situated. I would definitely stay here again, in fact, I do not think I would stay anywhere else when I return to Chiang Mai! Varada was like a second mum to me, only too happy to help with any questions or queries I had about the area or Chiang Mai itself. Yes the hotel is a little out of the main centre of the city. However, the quality of the accommodation and the friendliness of all the staff make the 10 minute walk to the city centre worth it. Alternatively, it is very easy and cheap to take a red truck to take you to the city centre. There is a laundry next door to Varada Place which offered a very good and quick service, a small shop doing smoothies round the corner of the laundry and for a good breakfast I can not recommend Amazing Sandwich on the main road enough.

Room tip: There is some building work going on at the front of the hotel but it didn't bother me or disturb my sleep at all when I stayed.
Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Samantha651
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you Sam . I hope you are very enjoying your life in south of Thailand . I would like to say thank you for your help to put a lovely picture for my place .
Kind regards