“A home from home”

Ranked #24 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“A home from home”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Varada is an amazing host. I could count on her throughout my stay to be a phone call away to describe to the taxi/red truck drivers where the hotel is situated. I would definitely stay here again, in fact, I do not think I would stay anywhere else when I return to Chiang Mai! Varada was like a second mum to me, only too happy to help with any questions or queries I had about the area or Chiang Mai itself. Yes the hotel is a little out of the main centre of the city. However, the quality of the accommodation and the friendliness of all the staff make the 10 minute walk to the city centre worth it. Alternatively, it is very easy and cheap to take a red truck to take you to the city centre. There is a laundry next door to Varada Place which offered a very good and quick service, a small shop doing smoothies round the corner of the laundry and for a good breakfast I can not recommend Amazing Sandwich on the main road enough.

Room Tip: There is some building work going on at the front of the hotel but it didn't bother me or distur...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Samantha651
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you Sam . I hope you are very enjoying your life in south of Thailand . I would like to say thank you for your help to put a lovely picture for my place .
Kind regards
Varada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Like everyone has mentioned before, Varada is what makes this place a real gem. Before leaving Bangkok, I inquired with Varada by email in regard to the best transportation method. She responded very quickly and explained the different colors for cabs and how much each would cost. She even said to call her in in case we landed and needed the taxi driver to speak to her for directions.

Throughout our weekend stay, she helped us navigate our way around the city and offered us a map to take with us. She even coached me on my Thai so I could get "Thai" prices while traveling around the city.

We were already really impressed with her hospitality but Varada really wowed us when my fiance and I realized we had left our debit cards in Bangkok and therefore could not withdraw cash to cover our last day expenses. Imagine my surprise when Varada tried to give us money in order to cover (at least) a cab back to the airport!!! There's no way we would have ever gotten the same kind of treatment elsewhere, I'm sure of it. We ended up figuring out a solution with our no cash situation and refused her money, but we were so thankful for her generosity!!!

The hotel itself is small but met our needs completely. The room was clean and we heard a little bit of noise from the next door bar but not enough to disturb our sleep. All the rooms are behind a secure entryway so it felt very safe. Thank you Varada for taking care of us so well when we came to visit, we'll be back for sure!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind words . I would like to say congratulation to you for your married in Thailand . Every thing that I can help you is my pleasure .
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

I really liked my stay. From the very start Varada was super helpful and informative about how we should get around Chiang mai and what to see. She totally reminded me of my grandmother in her manners (its a compliment).

The room was clean and had a big fridge, TV with some English channels, a little veranda to dry our clothes in. (There's laundry facilities available). The shower was a bit slow to change temperatures though.

The hotel is only just outside the main part of the city, quite close to a main road to go into the city or to the trendy neighbourhood to the west or to the mountains and the sights up there. There's a travel booking agency next door too, very convenient.

Overall pretty damn good, got everything we needed in a place to stay plus friendliness and good location. I recommend. Will probably return here next time I'm in Chiang mai

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Christina H
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for your writing for my place . I like to look after my customer as much as that I can .
A special young traveler but you are a good one so your family must proud with you .
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at this budget hotel for 4 nights. Hands down the major highlight is the great and friendly service from the owner - she is a very helpful and knowledgeable person! She can arrange tours, had good restaurant recommendations, and arranged very convenient transport to Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep and later the airport. She added a very personal, empathic touch that I wish more budget (and even upscale) places would display. Almost felt like a caring matriarch...

The location isn't too bad - its within walking distance of the Nimmanahaeminda nightlife area and several good restaurants, along with 7-11. However, since its just outside the city walls, you'll need to take those blasted red songthaews (pickup truck taxis) to the famous markets, bars, and temples downtown. The neighborhood is fairly quiet, one street removed from a major street.

The hotel entrance has a set of locked doors accessed via your key, so it feels safe. There is no in-room safe. The recently renovated twin beds room was spacious, clean and pretty comfortable. The free Wifi was fast, but we had to re-login every time we left and returned to the hotel, which was annoying. The bathroom was also fairly spacious, but the shower water temperature adjuster is a bit sensitive, so adjust carefully. The rather roomy fridge and microwave were very useful, and you get one free water bottle/person a day. The all mighty AC is great and has several useful settings, such as Quiet mode, which was noticeably quieter while still very effective. We had no problems with noise from other rooms or the 'hood. Don't believe there was an elevator, so ask for a 1st floor room. The television had several English language channels. There is a relatively cheap laundry service and another tour booking place next door; we used both and they were fine.

This was easily the best budget option we stayed at in Thailand on our trip and really enhanced our stay in wonderful Chiang Mai. Although not perfect, its strongly recommended. Thanks so much Varada Place! :)

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank GMK1954
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you very much for your comment my place .
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I booked this place when I read through the great reviews on TripAdvisor and very glad that I did. The rooms and bathrooms are very clean and the building is safe. Just as the reviews indicate, Varada and her husband are extremely hospitable and willing to go the extra mile.

This was my first time in Thailand and although I normally spend the majority of my time at starwood branded hotels, I really wanted the local experience. Taxis (the shared red vehicles) around the town are extremely easy and cheap; i'm glad we didn't stay in the old city because the taxis are so easy to use to get around.

The fridge is bigger than most hotels which was a plus! The temperature (A/C) is adjustable so it's perfect and the hot water/shower was great. If I ever needed a place to stay for an extended period of time, this would be the place I'd go and if I ever return to Chiang Mai, I will come back for sure!

Varada is a genuine individual which is an added bonus. She asked for feedback and is always looking for ways to improve and make guests feel at home.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you very much . I am very happy when customer feel comfortable and relax with my place .
I try to do my best for every customer .
Denmark
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

After looking for hotels for 1,5 month, we finally found this gem for a very reasonable price. Such a nice place to stay for budget-travellers.
Good rooms, comfortable and BIG bed, clean all over, fridge, microwave, balcony, wifi in room + aircon.
Felt very safe and Ms Varada is such a nice and chatty lady who helped us out, when our booked airport-transfer didnt show up.
I will consider it as a luxurious hostel (the best hostel i've ever stayed at) or a European 2*hotel.
The sweetness, the kindness and the overall service-experience is a 5 star hotel worthy.
So happy about our stay and will stay there again next time we're in CM.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you very much for your writing .
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Varada and her husband are delightful and hospitable people and kindly walked me to the nearby shopping centre the day I arrived. They also stored my luggage without charge while my son and I went on a 2 night, 3 day tour of Northern Thailand tour. When I returned my son was ill and had to be hospitalized, Varada took care of calling a taxi and suggested the best hospital, which thankfully was close by. When I returned late in the evening to pick up some things for my son Varada had instructed the night watchman to call her, she asked me how he was doing and let me know I could stay as long as I needed to be there. She was a bright light in a dark time and I can't thank her enough for making me feel supported. Thankfully my son was discharged two days later and we were able to continue on with our trip. Varada's staff keep the place immaculate and their smiles add to the shine. If I ever go back to Chiang Mai I will make this a MUST stay place. Thank you Varada!

Room Tip: The only tip I have is regarding a taxi to Varada's place. We were told by the taxi driver at t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Thank you for your write the real experience . I always concerning my customer . I know the best person that can help you when you stay oversea is a local people and can speak English a little bit . It is mean can communication with you . I am very appreciate to do for you and your son . You are at my place so you and your son are a part of my place ( family ) then when you need my help , why not , It is easy for me to help you and your son .
I am very welcome to you and your son in Chiang Mia on the next holiday .
Best wishes.