“Superb Hospitality, Good Location, Excellent Value”
Review of Varada Place

Varada Place
Ranked #26 of 395 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I arrived at Varada Place so sick I felt like I was at death’s door. I arrived early, before check-in time, but Varada allowed me to lie down in an empty room (for four hours!) until my room was ready. Seeing how weak I was, she then brought food to my room. This is obviously a level of personal service and kindness you would never receive in a corporate hotel.

Overall, the hotel is in a very convenient location. Walk a block to the main road and you can quickly hail one of the countless Chiang Mai songthaews that will take you to the city center in 10-15 minutes for 20 baht. One of the largest malls in the city is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel. There's a good coffeeshop (Bittersweet) a 5 minute walk away as well.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Varada Place is an excellent place to stay. Good rooms (with air con, fridge, hot shower, wifi, tv etc) for great value. The owner, Varada and her husband, were extremely friendly and helpful. As soon as we arrived, she sat us down and helped us plan our time to make sure we got the most out our stay in Chiang Mai (which was exactly what we needed). She also helped us organise laundry and let us store our baggage for the day before our late flight, and when she saw that we were lost with what to do with our last day she personally drove us to the market (even though we had already checked out a few hours before).
Only possible complaint I can think of was that there was some loud music on one of the nights from a nearby place though this didn't bother us too much and stopped at around midnight.
Would recommend Varada Place to anyone travelling to Chiang Mai.
Thank you Varada!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kirstin1993
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Thank you for you writing to my place . Are you ok in Australia now ?
Yes , I need you to see hill tribe market at the Warolot Market . You still have time to do that so why not . It is easy for me on that way . I am hoping you got everything for you friend and your family .
See you next time .

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I loved traveling in Thailand. Varada Place was an example of Thai hospitality. A safe, clean place, a wonderful host, and a great price. It was conveniently located to everything but on a quiet street. The owner and host, Varada, was accessible and generous with information, tips on prices and getting around. She is enthusiastic about her homeland and culture and has wonderful ideas on what to do, where to go, how to get there. If you want to get a special item, as I did, she will direct you to the right market, to find it Although a basic accommodation, it is spotless, water and towels provided daily, ensuite bathroom, balcony, wifi, tv, ac: and a night watchman.
Thank you Varada!

Room Tip: ask for a room on the back as there is construction work during the day across the street.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

It is a wonderful for my place that you are very happy when you are stay here . I try to attention every customer as much as that I can . I hope you have a lovely time at the beach ( south of Thailand ) and keeping well with your long holiday .
Kind regards

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I only stayed there for two nights and Varada, the owner, gave us a city map and helped us figure out where to go for our short stay. She also informed us how much we should be paying for the taxis to get around places.
The room was clean. Two bottles of water and new towels were provided every day.
The location was a little bit outside of the noise. Not much food around. The restaurant Lemon Tree around the corner on the main road is a good place to eat Thai food!

We had a very pleasant stay at Varada Place!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you for your coming to my place . I try to do my best for customer . I understand that customer need help . You have a short time in Chiang Mai but you try to do everything as much as that you can . This is the great one . See you next time .

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We spent the first two nights of our Thailand vacation at Varada Place and were very happy.

Varada answered emails prior to arrival quickly and was very accommodating when we had a flight delay. The keys and a map were ready and waiting with her night security guard on arrival.

Rooms are well equipped with fridge, microwave, great wifi and a self enclosed shower so the entire bathroom isn't wet after your shower. The rooms are very clean with very efficient daily housekeeping that includes 2 bottles of water each day.

The real highlight was Varada herself. She took time to go over the local map with us, give us transportation tips and explained standard transportation fees. She even arranged for a "red truck" to take us on a day trip. Whenever we needed her she was extremely helpful and her personal touch made our stay.

A huge thank you to Varada!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Compass Hospitality
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

This is my pleasure .
Hope you are enjoy your trip in Bangkok .
See you next time

Reviewed December 27, 2013

For the price, you get a clean large bed, television, wifi, ensuite bathroom with hot water all at a decent location, walking distance to many of the old town sights. Lovely owner, the place is very well maintained - if you want a good base for your holiday this is great.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kheng Teik S

Thank you for your coming to my place .
Happy New year to you and your friend .
Best regards

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Varada Place is only a 5-10 min walk from the Old City and the center of Chiang Mai. There are many places to eat, tourist things to see (e.g. temples) and easy access to cheap transportation within 5 mins walking distance.

The room was clean when we arrived and was cleaned every day without fail. The room had free Wi-Fi that was very useful, a bar fridge, microwave and cable TV. The shower took a little tampering to get the hot water to work but otherwise the room was good.

The best part about our stay at Varada Place was the staff. The owner and her husband were very helpful and spoke reasonable English. When we needed help finding a place to stay in Bangkok on our last day in Chiang Mai she let us use her phone and her knowledge for over an hour without hesitation.

Would recommend for anyone wanting to stay in Chiang Mai. Great value for money.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Thank you for you and your brother that stay at my place , both of you are a good team work for travel . I wish you have a very good time at Bangkok . Have fun .Varada