“Lovely minimalist guesthouse in a quiet area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunshine House

Sunshine House
Ranked #90 of 710 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“Lovely minimalist guesthouse in a quiet area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room and the level of comfort for such a reasonably priced guesthouse. We liked the minimalist decor and comfy bed, and after being in the mountains beforehand, a hot shower was much appreciated. The only downside was the view from our room was of the building next door, but we hardly spent any time there during the day, so it wasn't a problem. The staff were very friendly and offered us tips of where to travel in Chiang Mai and beyond. We liked the surrounding neighbourhood - pretty quiet and away from the main tourist areas. There are plenty of local restaurants nearby (the wonderful vegetarian friendly Imm Aim is just next door) and it's not too far from Chang Puak bus station. We would stay there again on our next visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SamDesh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

I had stayed there for few nights last week and it was all impressive. They provided a parking lot next to the hotel and it was very safe (I came back from outside around two in the morning and was about to park my car, the parking lot gate was locked so I had to go tell a security guard to open the gate for me). The room was really clean and looked all new. Big TV and acceptable size refrigerator were provided. This place seemed pretty new and safe and I was quite impressed with everything. Will go back to stay there again when I have a change :)

Last but not least, the price is very acceptable to me and it is considered a cheap price comparing to great positives of this place provided.

One negative for me would be that security guard's lack of responsibility in working, every time I walked down to smoke, he was sleeping on the couch. If he has work during the day this in understandable for me. If not, well...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Fallinz
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

We had no trouble checking into the Sunshine House when we arrived and were shortly situated in our room. That being said, we didn't receive any special reception that went the extra mile. We were pleasantly surprised at both the size of our room and, because it was a corner room, the generous number of windows. Included in the room was a TV, a fridge stocked with a couple large bottles of complimentary water, a large wardrobe, and a lockable bedside table. There was a patio but it was only big enough for maybe one chair and the towel rack that is mounted to one side.

After staying in the room for a couple days we made the following observations. There are "universal" outlets in the rooms so any electronics that are rated for 220V can be plugged in. The shower curtain didn't reach low enough and water splashed all over the bathroom floor; however, before we left, we also discovered the shower rod is not permanently mounted so we probably could have adjusted it lower and solved the problem. The bed is on the hard side; we slept well but those who can't sleep on a hard mattress may have some problems with it.

For what it is worth, the hotel offers a free breakfast to its lodgers. It generally consists of bananas and/or some other fruit, some crackers, and a hot water pot with coffee, tea, and hot chocolate available. Unless you are a very light eater don't expect it to keep you going unless you are planning on an early lunch. Just behind the check-in desk there is also a microwave and some convenient dishes that lodgers can use to prepare their own food.

The hotel does offer free wi-fi that manages a pretty respectable connection speed. They also have a communal computer in the entry room next to the breakfast table. I was excited that I would be able to copy pictures from our trip off my SD cards on onto my flashdrive to free up some space for more pictures. I was able to do so, however, I also got a virus on both my flashdrive and my SD cards that caused my files to disappear. It took me an hour of Googling to find a solution and get my data back. Unfortunately, I am still not sure I dare us them in my PC at home due to the risk of them still containing some virus.

As we headed out to explore Chiang Mai the ladies at the front desk were always available and helpful which made our exploration easier. They also put us in touch with the CM Motorbikes gentlemen who bring scooters by the Sunshine House to rent out for 250 baht per day.

Having been on the road for a few days, we had quite a bit of laundry to do. We were looking forward to getting it done at the Sunshine House, however, it turned into a bit of a nightmare. Washing cost 40 baht plus 5 baht for a packet of detergent from the front desk and was no issue. The dryer is a spendy 10 baht for 5 minutes. I started it going for an hour for 120 baht and came back to find the clothes just a little less wet than when they came out of the wash. The lady at the front desk mentioned something about it needing to be repaired and, to her credit, gave me another 20 baht to put in it. Unfortunately, we still ended up checking out with wet clothes packed in our backpacks.

I was looking forward to giving the Sunshine House a five star review, however, between the very limited breakfast, the viruses on the computer, and the expensive yet ineffective dryer I can't justify it. That being said, I would probably stay here again, thought I don't think I would do so without checking out other hotels in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KeithK906
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

The hotel is newly built, with spacious rooms and large windows, something you don't always get in city hotels! The staff are very friendly and polite, they would offer us free fruit and pastries in the morning time. We had a small problem in that our room was meant to have a lockable cabinet but it didn't. We mentioned this to the staff and they said it probably wouldn't be possible to change, so we were disappointed by that initially. However, we went out for the day and on our return we found that they had gone to the trouble of replacing our entire cabinet for us for one that had a lockable drawer. Because we were going on a long trip around S.E. Asia we also appreciated the cheap laundry prices and the fact it was open and self-service 24/7. I would certainly choose this hotel again as it is away from the noisy busy streets of central Chiang Mai, but close enough that you can reach the edge of the main square in about 5 minutes.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Audrey J
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

The Sunshine House in SantiTham is a great place to land if you are planning on being in Chiang Mai for a while. The rooms are clean and new and the staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a place to do laundry and a micorwave and hotwater maker, which is idea for long term stays and not so easy to find at every guesthouse.

Iamm Vegetarian restaurant is right near by and the food is excellent. There are also a few street vendors around for fruit and kabobs, and there is a 7/11 not far away. The street is quiet and off the beaten path. SantiTham is northwest of the old city - within walking distance, but not that easy to cross the moat road. Best to rent a scooter if you are going to be here for a while.

I would recommend Sunshine House to anyone who is planning on staying in Chiang Mai for more than a week.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank D J
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have to agree the facilities are modern and clean. But their apparent money-making scheme is to require a 300B key deposit then withhold it for minor reasons. Similar to another reviewer's experience, I got a little coffee on the bedsheets. They wanted to charge me 400B, claiming they would need to send it out for cleaning. (If you don't know the going rate around CM, that would cover 16 kg at most any laundry.) I protested and finally reduced the charge to 100B just to get out of there.
Don't bother with the morning coffee either, the tiny cups, and lousy instant coffee isn't worth walking to the lobby for.
I wanted to like this place, but they worked really hard to sway my opinion.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mkmu
Thornhill, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Sunshine House is wonderfully spacious, clean and modern hotel to stay at! We stayed here for 3 days while visiting Chiang Mai. While it may be a 10min walk to the Old City, there are positives to being outside of the main area. A 7-11 is a two mins walk going right out of the hotel. Breakfast came in the form of pork on skewers from a street vendor for the low price of 7 skewers for 21 baht, right across from the 7-11. A couple other local dives for food were around down the same street, noodles for 30baht and the likes! Going left out of the hotel, there is an amazing vegetarian/organic restaurant called IammVegetarian or something like that. Little bit "pricier" than the street vendors, but was fantastic- we went three times, and we're not vegetarians by any means!
Back to the hotel, two free bottles of water in the fridge each day, the room was straightened up daily and new towels every other day. My only complaints were very minor, the drapes did little to block out the sun in the morning, and the air conditioner was tough to program so that we wouldn't freeze. The staff is more than helpful, they helped us book trips to Dragon Flight zip lining as well as the Thai Farm cooki class. Just note that you will need cash to pay them up front for the activities; they wrote you a receipt that is taken by the activities. No additional charges are necessary for this service. Transportation to Sunshine House was 100baht from the train station (for 2 ppl) by Songthaw (red trucks) and by taxi to the airport was 150 baht (2 ppl). I highly recommend this hotel and would stay again!

• Stayed July 2013