“Authentic northern thai cuisine”

The Canal Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #826 of 2,814 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: Thai
Description: The restaurant dining is simple and uncomplicated with a casual menu combining the best, freshest and most authentic ingredients.
Reviewed April 20, 2017

Lovely place air-conditioned and quiet, we had traditional style chiang mai sausage for entrée and pork hanglay for main iit was exquisite. Not many restaurants serve hanglay curries as it's a northern specialty so grab it while you can, if you're a curry lover like me you won't be disappointed it is unique, the service was good and they also cater for Western palates

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank stevewooly2017

Reviewed April 2, 2017

The Canal is a part of The Rim Hotel where we were actually staying for 5 nights.
The breakfast here have been OK with no complaints, so one evening we decided to have dinner at The Canal.
We settled in for what I hoped would be a relaxing and wholesome dinner.
Starters arrived and first impressions were favourable.
However, when my Massaman Curry arrived one look told me something was wrong.
I must explain at this point that I'm married into a Thai family and have a house and car here. I've also spent a lot of time in the south of the country where the Massaman dish is originally from. It's one of my favourite Thai dishes so I know what I'm talking about here.
Massaman is chunks of potato, chunks of chicken breast (in this case it was chicken but it could have been beef, pork, etc)., and many other ingredients.
What was plonked in front of me was two chicken legs with the skin attached, ONE small piece of potato (smaller than a golf-ball), a whole onion and the lot was swimming in a watery tasteless, bland almost cold liquid. The sauce should by quite thick and fairly spicy. But it was cold!
The service was poor. No napkins/serviettes offered. The basket of toast and some butter offered as a pre-starter served without a knife to spread the butter. No other condiments offered either.
What's strange is that if a customer in a decent restaurant suddenly leaves 3/4 of a dish of food untouched the waiter(ess) is that they would ask if there was a problem, or come to table to ask "is everything OK?".... but no, nothing.
I was beyond complaining at this stage as I'd eaten the chicken and solitary chunk of potato.

Date of visit: April 2017
1  Thank TonyJohnT
Reviewed January 10, 2017

If you like Chicken Satay, and especially if you like the peanut sauce that typically accompanies it, this restaurant has it. It is also very convenient for those staying at the Rim Resort. Other food we had was very good too, and the breakfast was very adequate.

Date of visit: January 2017
1  Thank Jim V
Reviewed December 1, 2016 via mobile

The restaurant is attached to the Rim Hotel - along along the old city's canal. Stopped by for a late lunch. Staff seemed very shy. One thing to note - speak slowly. If all fails, repeat yourself.

Order Thai food and some wine. Food arrived and it was surprisingly tasty. The mien kam and traditional northern noodle dish was deliciously prepared. TIP: Manage your expectation when it comes to service; other than that food was acceptable taste and value.

Date of visit: November 2016
1  Thank FBJ1805
Reviewed November 23, 2016

excellent Thai and international food, ample choice of plates, very tasty and attractive presentation. Very good service

Date of visit: October 2016