“Ok for price”

Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel
Ranked #156 of 389 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed November 9, 2011

First visit to Chiang Mai. Bed very hard. Can not check in untill 2pm you must wait. Room smells of cigarette smoke. Very old hotel. Not advised if you are young.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Pbampton

Reviewed November 7, 2011

This is a really good hotel close to the night market and offers great value for money. It costs 1800 baht a night for a deluxe room and has good facilities and good food.
Staff are friendly and helpful
I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Phillip F
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We stayed in the hotel in mid July for 6 nights. we first got the superior rooms for 3 nights.The superior room are located in the front building. room are big but look old and ours did not smell good. the bad smell was also in the floor corridor. the whole building needs renovation. after coming back from the north we asked for the better deluxe rooms. rooms and the whole building are better. breakfast was pretty good. service was usually polite. when we checked out we could not find one of the rooms key. the charged us not less than 800 baht for it which was very disproportional and rude!

Room Tip: take the deluxe room for 200 baht more
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Illy55
Reviewed October 28, 2011

As soon as you walk into this hotel you see the staff are unhappy,if you ask them to do anything they look like scared rabbits as everything has to be passed by management before they dare do anything to help you,the reception staff dont even seem to be able to sort out bookings as they do not appear to have access to use computer.We had a problem getting our room cleaned because they mislaid voucher from agoda and were not allowed to clean room until agoda got back to them,so we had to wait until 6pm at night before room got towels ect.In all other hotels we have been to in thailand the staff would have the authority at reception to tell cleaners to do this sooner and sort out voucher later as they new we had booking.The management need to lighten up and get staff happy,not on smile

Room Tip: you must get deluxe and take earplugs for air conditioning but very good value for money
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Scotlass123
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Let me first start off by saying that this hotel is in a great location. It is walking distance to the night market and there is a laundry service place and 7-11 right across the street, which was such a convenience. The room was big and clean, but had a very awful smell. I can't even describe it. The bathroom was average but thing that I'll never forget about this hotel is that the water was a diluted, light tea-color. I first noticed it in the toilet. I thought it was just dirty water in the toilet so I flushed it and it refilled with the same light tea-colored water. At this point I thought, "maybe they are using recycled water for the toilets". To test this, I filled up the sink, and to my horror, there was the light tea-colored water. I was disgusted to think that I would be showering in this, not to mention washing my face and brushing my teeth with it! I ended up brushing my teeth with bottled water, and shuddered everytime I had to shower. I would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Nettersbetter
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We have spent 4 days in this 4-star hotel within Chiang Mai city. Its location is ok although it is a bit far away from downtown (a tuk tuk would take only 15 min)
However, room service is not at a 4-star hotel level since rooms are not as clean as expected for a hotel of such category (in fact, our room was dirty even after cleaning it), furniture is old and worn, facilities are quite big but old/fashioned and need refurbishing.
We have only had breakfast in this hotel but selection is very poor and very Eastern oriented.
Every single service in the hotel, including access to internet, has to be paid. After checking rates with other places nearby, we have found prices tend to be multiplied by 5-10.
In my opinion, this is a place that must have been one of the best hotels in the area but it has gone old-fashioned and needs recycling, since hotel rates do not meet quality today

Room Tip: Try to use services in locations nearby (there are laundry services just across the street and a goo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Acuria
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed there for 6 nights during August 2011, family with 2 kids (8 and 11). We took 2 rooms with connecting doors. The rooms are reasonably sized and were clean and nice.
Pros: Nice outdoor pool. Breakfast was OK.
Cons: Matress was extremely hard, almost like sleeping on a wood board... Gym has no treadmill and only opens 8 am (sucks if you want to practice early before going for a day trip etc).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family