Empress Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Astra Condo(Chiang Mai)
View Hotel
The Park Hotel(Chiang Mai)
  • Breakfast included
Nordwind Hotel(Chiang Mai)
View Hotel
Yaang Come Village(Chiang Mai)
1,627 results
All reviewscomplimentary dinnernight marketgift bagbig bagwelcome giftbreakfast buffetfree wifituk tukbit datedreception stafflarge hotelhotel is greatswimming poolold citytour deskhotel is locatednice pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed at the Empress during our honeymoon in Thailand. The location of the hotel is great, very central and close to main spots like night bazaar, old city and river Ping. Although we were upgraded to a executive room, it looked extremely basic and we had a view of a swamp. It's a great hotel to stay in but don't pay over the odds. Breakfast was lovely. Disappointed that they didn't offer free wifi. And they have a live band playing in the bar in the evenings who are just so cute.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at The Empress in February 2013. And I was very 'Empressed' by the warm welcome, the beautiful decor and the little surprises they kept giving us.The reception area is large and spacious with a beautiful centrepiece of roses. My room was very large,beautifuly decorated with crisp white linnen and was spotlessly clean. The staff were friendly and helpful and couldnt do enough for you.
The food was Buffet Style, except for the evening when it was the eve of Chinese New Year when they served us with a very secial starter beautifully presented on a large decorative plate, the main course we then chose ourselves. We were then served a gorgeous sweet course...again on a decorated plate (best china?) and as we left all of the ladies were given a rose. Nice touch.
The evening before, when we were enjoying a drink in the lounge/bar we were given chocolate bars and roses and on our final night were all given an elephant key ring. How generous.
I would definitely stay there again , I wouldnt bother going anywhere else.

Room Tip: From what I heard from other people in our group..all the rooms were great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank hythehoney
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is the 3rd time I have stayed here and it was very pleasant indeed. I stayed for 12 nights as part of a package tour. It is not a 5 star hotel but it does feel more than a 3 star hotel mainly due to excellent staff. Nothing is ever too much trouble for them.

I am getting a bit irritated with the complaints being levelled at this hotel. It is very reasonably priced for what you get. If you want all the trimmings of a 4 or 5 star hotel, then go and stay at one. For the first time I had a safe in my room but I am not sure it is needed as the arrangement of having security boxes at reception were more than adequate. Those people who have complained about this have only succeeded in increasing the costs within the hotel. Please stop it?

You get a big bang for your buck in this hotel. The service is very good with nice rooms which are well appointed. I stayed on 11th floor with great views. Everything worked well. It doesn't feel like a 3 star hotel at all. It is beautifully decorated, especially the reception/lobby area. The breakfast and lunch buffets are fantastic for what you pay in a hotel and lots of choice. I ate there everyday and some evening meals too. The air conditioning appears to have improved since my last visit and occasionally I was even quite cold.

The pool area is well used but is not that large. There is a conference center sister-ed with the hotel and makes for an interesting stay over a long period, seeing all the different conventions come and go. Large parties of people on tours also make for some variety. There is live music most nights with a very adept house band.

It is about 10 or 15 minutes walk to the night bizarre and access to the rest of the town. If you are a walker like me, then the old city is about 20 - 25 minutes walk but there are always the tuk tuks if you prefer. Taxi's are not prolific in Chiang Mai.

The tour operator in the hotel is very reasonably priced and will also arrange private tours for you that you cannot arrange outside.

This is a great place to stay, especially for solo travelers as the staff are so attentive. It is clean and very relative to this part of Thailand with its take on the Lanna culture throughout.

NB: Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai is on the change with influences coming in from Bangkok. Happily the backpacker traveller culture is hitting back as they move out from the Old City. Hopefully this balance will continue and the Empress Hotel is central to keeping this balance just the way the hotel is now.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms afford a better view of the area.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank rascal2016
Reviewed March 14, 2013

we stayed at this hotel in february 2013 .it was three star the other two were higher rated and although good they could not touch the empress for the friendliness of the staff . the hotel may not be the smartest but is comfortable and made memorable by all the little touches. roses given to diners flowers on your pillow at night when they had turned down your bed , flower arrangement and fresh fruit in our room nothing was to much trouble they were all a delight. we were leaving early in the morning when we came down to the lobby our pre ordered breakfast was brought to us . then we were given a box each with a full breakfast packed inside even condiments and tomato sauce we have traveled extensively but never before have i been upset to leave a hotel .i would highly recommend it to anyone

Room Tip: can only comment on our room on the eleventh floor .it was fine , bathroom a little small but adequate
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Overall- happy with the stay at the Empress. Traveled to Chiang Mai with friends in March, 2013. Was promised a triple room, but only one king bed was in the room upon arrival. Cot was promptly brought upon request. A/C in the room works great, international channels in all languages, and two bottles of water are provided daily free. Bathroom floods due to poor shower design, and conditioner not available. Staff was extremely helpful though. Breakfast was FANTASTIC, with an omelette and waffle station and fresh fruit, but also Thai noodles- something to satisfy all taste buds. Only real problem was that the WiFi was not free. Website states that you must book directly through them to get the free Wifi.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends