“Highly recommended, quaint hotel in heart of the old city” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Rich Lanna House
Ranked #39 of 710 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“Highly recommended, quaint hotel in heart of the old city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

My mom and I stayed here for 5 days in March 2014 and really enjoyed this quaint hotel in the heart of the old city. We were surprised that it was right on the main road and was still so quiet and authentic inside. The girls who worked there were really helpful in making reservations for us, providing recommendations for dinner, making sure we didn't get ripped off on cabs etc. Breakfast is provided each morning and because I am a vegetarian, they made me a special vegetable and rice meal every day. To top it all off, when I had visa issues and almost couldn't leave the country, they allowed us to use their phone/computer in the lobby even after our check out and were extremely patient and helpful as we tried to sort out the mess. We were SO appreciative of their kindness and generosity. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants above and beyond service, nice accommodations and a central location for a fairly affordable price (US$ wise).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

I stayed in a standard room which I found quite roomy with an excellent ensuite, large shower with good pressure & plenty of hot water. Many, many TV channels, a small frig with 4 free bottles of water each day & more power points throughout room & ensuit than I have ever seen before which is fantastic. Wifi (free)was excellent throughout hotel, coffee shop & rooms.
Unlike mentioned in an earlier review I found staff delightful. Quiet but always friendly & helplful with advice on what to pay for tuk tuk etc, etc. The other thing I cannot agree with in an earlier review is that there were no massage places around. If you go out the front of hotel & turn right, then turn right at first street and go down to first crossroad, there are quite a number of massage places in various price ranges , including an officially sponsored one where blind people are trained to give traditional massage. In this same area, basically in the narrow street running parallel with moat behind hotel, there are also some excellent small restaurants including the Blue Diamond Breakfast Club & the Bamboo Bee (see both reviewed many times in Tripadvisor).
I was in room 404 which was on top floor at the back so little if any traffic noise overlooking pool area. The downside was as no lift it was a lot of exercise going up & down stairs all the time. The other comment re 4th floor is that water tank is on roof above and it obviously has an automatic refill pump which can be heard. Not hugely noisy but definitely there in the background and may concern some people. I would strongly suggest Room 204 or 304.
My only other suggestion for hotel management would be to have a Chiang Mai map in rooms along with 2 magazines already there. If not in room then maybe given to client when booking in. I did not realize until I saw another guest with one that they were available at reception.
Definitely no hesitation in recommending.

Room Tip: I would choose 204 or if not avail 304 if booking a standard room. There is no first floor. It goes...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Taron88
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Small hotel on the busy ring of CM, however most bedrooms are at the back, so that car noise was not a problem. The inner decoration is very pleasant and most of the friendly and helpfull staff can communicate in English.
Good coffee quality and breakfast altogether was not bad.
Cosy corner at the swimming pool, were you can relax for hours and read.
The owner offered us a bottle of read wine for our long stay, which we appreciated very much.
If you turn 2x right when getting out of hotel, at the begiinning of the street, we can recommend a small eating place called Bamboo Bee. Here you can eat homemade Thái food at any time of the day for a fantastic price quality relation served by the owner Bee, a charming young lady.

The only 2 points we were not so pleased was the size of our bedroom which was very small and no bigger room was available and the cold water of the swimming pool, which did not allow us to have a swim.

Room Tip: Choose a more expensive room if you want a lot of space!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I like to start with the things to improve first.
There is a young woman that works there (with a Hello Kitty watch) that is not at all helpful. True many of the people who work there and sometimes they are not overly helpful but this young woman with the watch I feel needs to be spoken to. I had difficulty with my ATM card, she just said sorry and offered no help. Their computer was not working and she said I should go to an internet café but didn’t even know where one was. I asked for a place close by to eat when I first arrived and she just told me walk and I would find something. I wasn’t looking for “something” I was looking for a recommendation. I asked for a car to take me somewhere so this same person negotiated a rate and then the driver was later inappropriate. I shared this with her and I got the same response “I’m sorry” which I feel she was but I question if she advised the owner of this so to address it with the tour taxis. I only seen the owner once, when I was leaving ( I stayed for 6 days) I think she needs to be more involved or present.
Location;
This was great. There was a morning market across the street less than 5 minute walk (this had food, clothes etc…) and a night market with cheap and delicious eats. I had a great meal for 30 Baht.
From here I walked to the Post Office, a jazz club North Gate (which was fantastic), a few temples, mobile shop, and good restaurants. There is a massage place to the right (first street turn right and it’s on the left) that was really good.
Breakfast:
Average, same things each day which was a bit tiresome
Room:
Excellent. Clean, spacious, bed was comfortable, just as you see in the pictures. You get slippers and robes which I always appreciate. The linens were clean and crisp and new. I was on the first floor which I liked as it right across from the pool.
The hotel smelled so good, welcoming and calming. Although it’s on a main street I didn’t really hear noise.
Pool: it was a bit cool but I enjoyed it. Loungers by the pool were comfortable and sunny or shady spots could be found. I was able to swim whenever I wanted which I appreciated.
They gave a small gift upon leaving which I loved. I would stay here again, I think it was a good value, location, safe, I felt like it was my little apartment and very well maintained.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank livinginshanti
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed at this hotel from 29/12/13 through 1/1/2014. We have travelled widely but this hotel is one of the best we have encountered. The overall ambience of the hotel is fabulous. We also loved our room, which was spacious and nicely furnished. The breakfast is great and the breakfast room lovely. The hotel is well located within the old part of the city. The staff were also a highlight. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

Room Tip: I believe that we had a deluxe room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sjmckenzie4
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Very cute guesthouse, decorated in traditional thai style.

Rooms were spacious, beds comfortable, good water pressure in the shower. There is wifi in the lobby and the rooms. Thing to keep in mind there are 4 floors and no elevator.

Breakfast was nice as well - fresh juice, a few European items, a few Asian items, cereal, some pastry.

Cute pool area, but way to cold to try it out.

Walk to the night market, shopping dining is about 15-20 minutes, there are couple of restaurants right outside, as well as food carts close by.
Guesthouse itself has a great little coffee shop.

We could not find any massage places close by, but discovered a great yoga studio within a 10 minutes walk.

• Stayed December 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

The husband and I stayed here for 2 nights.

Pros:
1) Rich Lanna House is very well located - Inside the moated city centre and within walking/bicycling distance of Wat Phra Singh and Wat Chedi Luang.
2) Staff is very helpful. They let you borrow their bicycles. They even arranged a 2 wheeler for us for 250 bhat a day.
3) Rooms are comfy

Cons:
1) They have no arrangement for mosquitos. Carry your own repellent patches and cream please.
2) Walls are a tad thin. Do not take the room right below the breakfast parlor.
3) Breakfast is average at best.

All in all it was a great stay and I will have no compunctions in staying here again should I visit Chiang Mai again.

Room Tip: Don't get the room below the breakfast parlor if you are looking to sleep in post 7 AM.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple