“Impresive lobby and good location”

Amora Resort Tapae Chiangmai
Ranked #149 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“Impresive lobby and good location”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Lobby is very impressive spacious and almost glittering. Lots of staff abound eager to help with any issue and holding doors open. Room is large and well decorated with everything one needs. My main problem was that although it has mountain views it also faces immediately on to the busy non stop double dual carriageway so I hear traffic all night and day. even on the 8th floor. Staf were efficient and cheerful but in the end I just wanted a quiet bedroom.

Room Tip: Difficult as all rooms face the traffic except ones at the back which are for smokers and have the s...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank alanflow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Virginia
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I booked this on agora.com for $20 per night all inclusive and this was based on the reviews of the hotel. This hotel is great for a solo traveler that is traveling to Chiang Mai for the first time. It is close to most of the old city attractions and the staff is very courteous. I arrived earlier than my check in time because I arrived to Chiang Mai by bus and the staff happily checked me in earlier. The rooms are slightly dated but not too much and the internet access is very good across the hotel.The pool while small is nice to have. Overall a good stay and would recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank R S
Virginia
Reviewed September 6, 2013

If you're looking for a hassle-free, friendly, honest hotel to spend a few care-free days in Chiang Mai ... look elsewhere.

OK, first the positive point about this hotel: The location is perhaps the best in the city, a stone's throw from Tapae Gate, just outside the old city. Restaurants and bars are plentiful within easy walking distance, either to the right or the left of the hotel. So no complaints there.

As for the negatives, in no particular order, here they are:

-- I was asked to pay for my full stay at check-in. When I asked the manager why I had to do this, she gave me some convoluted explanation that made very little sense. I offered to give my credit card as a guarantee (you know, the way it's done at most hotels), but that was not good enough.

-- The storage supply room was located just across from our room, and there was a phone on the wall outside this room. Before 7 a.m. every morning, that little phone would start ringing loudly, as someone just had to get the attention of one of the maids. No consideration given to the fact that guests near the room might like to get some sleep. The phone would ring on average around 10 times, every 12 minutes or so -- and would wake me up every time. Absolutely pitiful that they do this.

-- While there was ample food at the breakfast buffet, if you are a vegetarian -- or even if you simply do not eat pork -- you may as well not even bother showing up. One morning I counted seven items with pork, out of around 10 total "hot food" items. They actually had fried rice with tiny pieces of ham. So because they had to put in these tiny pieces of ham, anyone who does not eat pork could not eat it. They did similar things with fried noodles. In this day and age, it is not only inconsiderate, it is downright ignorant to serve so much pork at a breakfast buffet that is intended for all guests. The need to have seven pork-laden items at a breakfast buffet is way beyond my comprehension, and the sheer lack of items that all guests -- regardless of dietary restrictions -- can enjoy was stunning and the worst I have ever seen in all my travels.

-- The front desk staff was alarmingly uninformed about the simplest of things related to Chiang Mai. They had no idea how I could get a taxi to nearby Nimmanhaemin Road or how much it would cost. If they do not know this, then chances are they don't know anything about the area, which is absurd.

-- I do not usually complain about things like ripped sheets at a hotel of this standard, but when the holes in the sheets are ridiculously large, I feel a need to point it out. Seriously, there comes a point when a sheet simply needs to be replaced. Bite the bullet and buy a new sheet.

-- At around 5 p.m. one evening, the air conditioning in our room stopped working. So I called downstairs, and they sent a techie to our room to fix the problem. After 10 minutes, he decided that it could not be fixed. A front-desk representative then called and told us to pack our things and prepare to change rooms. But the woman at the front desk wanted us to move to a very low floor, even though I had requested a high floor. I said I wanted a high floor, and she told me that this was not possible because the hotel was full, and no high-floor rooms were available. I did not believe her, and told her so, and hung up. Thirteen seconds later (I counted), she called back and said she had a high-floor room for us. Wow, what a miracle! In 13 seconds, someone checked out from a high-floor room, and the room was cleaned and ready for us to move in. (I immediately called Guinness World Records to inform them of this wonderful feat, and was told that this had set a new record, shattering the old mark of 21 seconds, and that the certificate would be FedExed to the hotel ASAP.)

Seriously, all these problems combined to make our stay less than enjoyable, and despite the location, it just is not worth putting up with such shoddy management at a hotel that does not impress on any level except location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Erniecat

Travelers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Amora Tapae and though I agree with the majority of the reviews about the location, which is superb, the warmth and friendliness of the staff, the reception area welcoming and pleasant, the cleanliness of the rooms and dining room were disgraceful. Our room had large cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, the curtains were badly stained, the mirror was covered in dust and the bed linen was threadbare. We asked for another room and were showed a different one, but to be honest there wasn't much difference in the decor. Therefore I asked for a cleaner to attend the room who did very quickly and removed the cobwebs for us.
As we were only staying a few days we decided to accept what we had, as we were out most of the day.
At breakfast the dining room chairs were filthy and covered in stains, the tables were cluttered with plates from previous diners and if they were empty they were not cleaned properly for the next customer. The choice of food was limited and luke warm.
All in all I found the hotel to be perfect to access the local attractions of Chiang Mai but apart from that, it needs a lot of work doing on it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Staff greeted us warmly and genuinely. Rooms spacious and clean. English channels available and free wifi throughout hotel.
Excellent choice for breakfast.
Decor good in rooms but bathroom a little tired and dated.
We were pleasantly surprised by such good value for money. Excellent location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
sydney
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We are an older couple and do not expect 5 star when paying the room rate that we did. We stayed at the Amora in June and had always planned to move elsewhere in Chiang Mai for a few extra nights. Our room on the 6th floor was large but a little dated - it did have new carpet and we overlooked the city. Breakfast was great and the staff polite and helpful. Yes the hallways are a little dark - but you don't live in the hallways. The other areas of the hotel were fantastic and our room was light and the views were great. Value for money unreal. The problems - the bed was so hard we had trouble sleeping, the walls thin and noise travelled. The air con was very loud at night making it difficult to sleep with it on. Overall though if you are a good sleeper and a hard bed does not overly worry you - then the position of this hotel and its other qualities are very good - to be honest we wished we had not moved on to the next hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We high tailed it here after a bad night at the Imm Hotel down the street. I walked in and was offered a room for 1300 baht ($42) including breakfast and internet. We had screened out this place previously because on the booking sites internet was extra and expensive. Staff have been very attentive and friendly. Lobby is beautiful (aren't they all). Rooms were exactly as expected. this is a 4 star hotel that is a little past its prime. The carpet is a little stained, the furniture is a little banged up, but all in all totally acceptable. The bathrooms are nice, come well equiped with lots of little bottles of stuff, and there is hot water and the water drains.

Breakfast is massive. A large number of Asian dishes, mix ins and condiments in case you want to add dried squid and floss pork to your cornflakes. The damn hot dog sausages are there as well. Don't know what the fixation here for hotdog like sausages, but they are everywhere. The European selections are the usual fruit, cereal, an egg station, waffles and pancakes. There was also cheesecake, other cakes breads rolls etc. Best spread yet.

If you book this hotel from their web site, this place is a great deal and well worth staying. If you have internet hungry kids, and have to pay for it by the hour, best stay elsewhere. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Book directly with the hotel for free breakfast and interent. If you book through a booking site, y...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo