“A terrible hotel”

Amora Resort Tapae Chiangmai
Ranked #135 of 394 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed January 11, 2013

On our trip to Thailand we stayed at 7 different hotels in a 2 week period. This was the worst of them and one of the most expensive.

Pros: good location

Cons:
customer service: We needed help trying to reach some family at a nearby hotel. We go separated. The hotel reception asked us to figure it out. We tried, and when questioned again they said they'd have to charge us to help.

Parking: we rented motorcycles. As soon as you pull into the the drive to drop someone off or pick someone up, they'd tell you to move. It was beyond ridiculous. We were a tiny motorcycle in their big driveway not blocking any traffic waiting 2 minutes.

Wifi: $15 USD a day. It is not free like agoda says.

Dirt: disgusting and unclean carpets and elevators. No air conditioning in the hallways.

Breakfast: slop.

Noise: thin walls.

We eventually moved to another hotel and paid $25 USD a day with free wifi and clean rooms.

Bottom line: a waste of money. Do not stay here.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room here
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank howardchang79

Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel was GREAT considering how little we paid for it. I traveled a lot on my recent trip to Thailand, and this was by far the cheapest yet nicest hotel we stayed in. It's no 5-star hotel, but for someone on a budget it's perfect. It's clean, the service is excellent (there is a bellboy that picks up your baggage and shows you the room), and it's close to the night market, temples and right across from old city. We could basically walk everywhere we wanted to go.

The hotel is a bit old and there are telltale signs like a kind of stained carpet, but I didn't mind. My room was always super clean, the bed was comfortable, the air conditioning worked great, and I had an overall pleasant stay. I wouldn't pay a lot of money to stay here, but since I got this hotel for around $26 a night I thought it was a steal. They also have a little traveling agency within the hotel to help you book trips, and they weren't that badly overpriced.

So, if you are on a budget and are looking for something MUCH nicer than a hostel or crappy hotel... definitely stay here! It was definitely an upgrade from the gross hotels we previously stayed in that cost much more.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the "princess" suites (not that expensive), and request non-smoker if yo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Celinne_21
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had a great bargain when we bought the air fare together with the hotel. This hotel has a great location. One of the main reasons why we chose this hotel is that the annual flower parade passes by close to this hotel and that was our main reason for visiting Chiangmai at this time.

Not only that, you can also walk to the Sunday night market where you can get lots of interesting souvenirs.

Overall hotel was good, with a huge and spacious lobby area which is very inviting. Buffet breakfast was reasonable too...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2013

the hotel is very clean with good breakfast and a great location close to the temples and bazars but it's very old !! everything is old i liked staying there but i'd recommend for a new hotels unlike this one !!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This hotel is in a very good location, especially for the Sunday night market which is a highlight of Chiang Mai. There are some nice views to be had from the upper floors. There is a 32-inch flat screen TV with some decent movie channels. The rooms seemed clean and large enough. Despite these good points, and some positive reviews, I strongly recommend against staying here.

First, the bed is WAY too hard and my wife and I both woke up with back pain (happened in two different rooms so I doubt it was a fluke). I slept on top of the blanket and a towel, which I've never done before. I should add that we have stayed in many, many hotels in Asia and this is rarely an issue for us - we actually like firm beds, but this beyond firm. Second, they don't guarantee a non-smoking room, so you might get a smoky one, like we did. They wouldn't move us, saying the hotel was full. Third, they want about $17 per day for internet! You thought you were getting a good deal on the room rate? Think again (if you want to use the internet). Most hotels in this price range include free wifi. But the way, there are some coffee shops nearby where you can get internet for the price of a frappe ($3), which includes a frappe. Fourth, our room was unlockable on the balcony side, and it would be very easy for someone to step over the rail and come inside (in fairness, this problem might be unique to our room). Fifth, we had to ask two times and wait a few hours just to get bath towels.

There are so many great places to stay in Chiang Mai that are either much nicer or much cheaper (or both) than this hotel. Look around a little. Leave this one for the large tour groups (we saw several huge busses outside).

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor, because people can break into your room through the balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eric R
Reviewed December 24, 2012

This was my second stay at this hotel and I like it because it is conveniently located right on the east side of the moat, near the Tapae Gate. This is the area where I prefer to stay in Chiang Mai. It is a large, older hotel with 12 floors, so it does not have the cozy charm of a small boutique hotel. Rooms have sweeping views of the city. The windows in my room, however, were covered with fingerprints of past guests. It was the same when I stayed here 2 years ago. Apart from the windows, the room and public areas are well maintained and clean. The air-con was noisy.
Breakfast is adequate with choices for all tastes.
The pool is in the shade most of the day.
I will probably stay here again when I return to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 23, 2012

june 2012 i was there with my friend and stay for 2 night the service was very good the food excelant , room is very clean , change new towel 2 times a day , staff very nice and frienly, fast service , the room had alot of space , and bath room was santary , very nice and feel good to stay there in this hotel the center of town , very convenien , i realy recomment to traveler take a rest here and exsperien for your self you will say wow, sincerely piney

Room Tip: room on the east more quite and you can see the best view of sunrise in the morning
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends