“Panoramic View, Large Room”

Holiday Inn Chiang Mai
Ranked #53 of 395 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed December 21, 2013

It's my first visit to Chiang Mai and Holiday Inn gave quite an impression... and easy access to late-night snack. I got a room on the top floor and the view is amazing. The room itself was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The receptionists were friendly and efficient. Breakfast was great, especially when you got to eat outside with the view to the river. It's a little hard to get the attention of the waiters for coffee refill (they did a good job asking you for the first cup). Food was good and the variety was satisfying.

They don't have a lot of seating on the lobby though, so I often find it hard when I have to wait for my group to assemble (and I'm already outside the breakfast area). Having room on the top floor means waiting for the elevator. But it's worth the wait. You have to take tuktuk to go around the city... the concierge will help you if you need to visit the Chiang Mai night market. In my room key sleeve there's a card with the hotel name and address in Thai, if you ever get lost, you just need to show it to the tuktuk driver.

But if you're just hungry, there're street vendors just walking distance of the hotel.

I enjoyed my visit here. Although it's quite far from the city. But this time, it was for business. If I'm travelling with family for a vacation, the location might be an issue.

Room Tip: The higher the better... although it takes time to go up by the elevator, but the view worth the wai...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,712)

Reviewed December 17, 2013

The rooms were big and roomy but it was old . The breakfast selection was good and the welcome
reception was efficient. I will stay there again for sure. the outdoor area for dining is nice as it is by the riverside. It will ideal if you can add more shuttle services to town and the market place.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We spent a week in Chiang Mai in the Holiday Inn. I was revisiting this Northern Thai City after a lapse of 34 years.... Although my memories were hard to trace due to times imprints,and my accommodations this time proved far more luxurius than I had soujouned in long ago,I was nonetheless able to experience as if for the first time it's timeless charm .... The tranquil refuge of leafy Buddhist pagodas... This hotel sits outside the old city walls on the bank of a languid river... The surrounding hills house a myriad of temple The holiday Inn is comfortable and welcoming..The environs,a true respite after our days of exploring.... Yes.. With considering .

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We booked and paid for a superior river view corner room (non-smoking). After a 30 minute delay at check-in due to our room 'not being ready' we were effectively downgraded to a smoking room in the back corner of the hotel with a smidge of a river view. When I asked why this had happened we were told a large tour group had arrived and taken all the equivalent rooms to what we had booked. We specifically asked for non-smoking as I have asthma - on arrival in the room I phoned and asked to speak to a manager - apparently the manager was too busy to sort out the situation! After 10 minutes I called again and was again told the manager was too busy. Eventually the manager called back and said we could have the room for half price. I declined this offer and stated I simply wanted the equivalent room I had booked and paid for and at the very least wanted a non-smoking room. We decided to shower and head to the Loy Krathong festival as planned and asked for the room situation to be resolved while we were out. On returning we were pleased to find the situation had been resolved, however the fruit platter in our new room was addressed to someone else....I can't help but wonder if someone else lost their room to us! Overall, the location of the hotel was good, easy access to everything via tuk tuk or taxi plus the shuttle to the night market. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. Breakfast is O.K. but again the customer service was poor. We stayed at the Nimman hotel the next night and the Holiday Inn Chiang Mai could really take a lesson from these guys in customer service! Overall very disappointed.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear nemo500,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us.

We read with much concern the troubles you had with us. I sincerely apologize for the service you received was less than satisfactory and truly sorry for the inconvenience you had with your reservation. This is definitely not usual in our hotel as we always strive to deliver the highest level of service and customer care to all our guests. We deeply regret the disappointment you had with our customer care and the negative experience you have encountered.

The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. We had a deluxe double room which was very spacious. There was a lovely comfortable bed and great facilities. The hotel lobby was a great place to relax and have a drink in the evening, or a coffee in the afternoon. The staff were all very helpful and friendly (the norm in Thailand).
The restaurant for breakfast was good, although it is interesting to see the range of food available in the morning. They cater for Asian tastes, so provide noodle soup etc. There was plenty of choice including fruit and cereal, pancakes and breads. For those who enjoy a "full cooked breakfast" they may be a little disappointed.
The Chinese buffet, which was on offer every day, was a bit of an experience! We had to be shown how to help ourselves. The buffet included all sorts of raw meats and vegetables which you took back to the table and added to a stew pan on a small electric hob. It was called "Shabu- Shabu ". There was also salad and desserts to choose from.
The restaurant also has a terrace overlooking the river,and this is a lovely spot to have your breakfast.
The price of meals are drinks are far higher than in the city, but the quality and atmosphere in the hotel is excellent. The staff are very attentive.
We happened to be staying there during the festival of Loy Krathong. The hotel had decorated the riverside with colourful lights. During this festival, the people make beautiful "krathongs" from banana leaves and flowers and add candles and incense sticks. They float them along the river to rid themselves of bad fortune. They also light "Chinese lanterns" and let them float in the sky. This is quite a sight! The festival is held during full moon on the 11th month (I think that's correct, but you may want to check it out). We were really fortunate to be visiting at this time of year, and if somebody is planning a trip to Thailand, I would recommend to plan it around this time!
We took part in this festival after our tuk-tuk driver gave us a krathong. I was very touched by his gesture. At first I though he was trying to sell it to me, and then realised he was giving it to me! He told me to put it on the river next to the hotel. At the hotel there was a member of their staff helping people to light the candles and lanterns. Then a Thai man asked us to help him with his lantern. The lanterns are quite big and it is necessary to keep them steady as they fill with hot air. He explained to us the reason for this celebration, and obviously wanted to share this experience with us. Thai people are just so lovely!
The hotel is in a good location for visiting the main part of the city. It is quite safe to walk around the streets and we did not witness any trouble,drunkeness or crime. There are plenty of tuk-tuks outside the hotel, ready to take you into the main part of the city and will recommend places of interest. One took us to a traditional Thai dancing restaurant , and others will give you information about excursions.
The night market is fantastic, with plenty of good quality merchandise. Silk scarves are really cheap. I bought a cashmere shawl for £3 for example. The atmosphere in the markets is fabulous and there are lots of places to eat and drink.
While we were here, we went on an excursion to the rainforest where we spent a day with elephants. We got to know them first, feeding them with bananas and after lunch ( provided) , we went on a bareback elephant trek through the jungle and through the river. We then washed the elephants in the river. It was the best part of our holiday! Even as an unfit 50 year old, I managed to really enjoy the experience.
The swimming pool was a welcome change, and very quiet on the occasion that we used it. It was great to have a place to sit in the sun and get relaxation time in the middle of the busy day! Towels were provided at the pool side.
I would not hesitate to use this hotel again.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room, which was light and airy with lots of room.
Reviewed December 13, 2013

From hotel to downtown, please take a tok tok(taxi) fare is 100bath and about 10mins ride. Less than 15mins, we took tok tok for 200bath to the biggest shopping mall in Chiang Mai, Central Festival, we returned to the hotel by aircond taxi is only 100bath. So, please bargain and choose wisely. The hotel breakfast is very dissappointed, but the rooms are recently refurbished and comfortable.

Room Tip: Please ask for highest floors, ie 20-22th so u can have a best view of Chiang Mai.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Located out of the centre of Chiang Mai, on the Ping River, but well connected with many touristic spots (Night Bazaar, Sunday Market, Nimmanhemin Road) by free shuttle service. Large confortable rooms some with a nice river view. Very good Sunday brunch with a huge choice of delicious food.

Room Tip: River view, hight floor